The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 25, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #256 of 4,580
Yeah.....   Or are both the 65th and K712pro really just K701 with flat headband and memory foam pads that account for +3 db bass and different paint jobs, but overpriced because they are (were) made in Austria? 

Christ, what have I got myself into...   A 65th/K7xx comparo looks like.

I don't think the K712 and the K702/65th are the same headphones, and mine are late production models, so, the use the same pads. The K712 is slightly more bassy, so, maybe the 3db is not only the pads job but something else inside the drivers.

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #257 of 4,580
I'm looking to upgrade from the Creative Aurvana Live! at the moment, would this be a good bet or is there a better upgrade going from my current set?

I mostly listen to classical, piano, rock, electronic music.

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #258 of 4,580
I don't think the K712 and the K702/65th are the same headphones, and mine are late production models, so, the use the same pads. The K712 is slightly more bassy, so, maybe the 3db is not only the pads job but something else inside the drivers.

If you have both, I'm in no position to say otherwise.    Yes, I also meant to say the K702 not K701...  In any case, the 65th version has full bass extension all the way down to the lowest lows.   A quick listen to Trentemoller/Perverse etc confirmed that.   A slight nudge on the EQ slider or flip on the bass boost on my FiiO E12a, (+4db)  and it's a non issue.  (assuming you have a quality EQ, NOT the one in itunes...)  <Gasp, bass boost the 702s with EQ?  The horror... >

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #259 of 4,580
The K712 is different from the Annie. Not much, but just enough. The Annie is just a Q701 with cherry picked drivers, and pads that add bass and warmth, plus flat headband. Massdrop's page specifically states the 7XX uses the Annie as a base, so there is no way these use 712 drivers, barring some BS email probably from some rep that doesn't know crap. Because we all know company reps have all the answers.

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #260 of 4,580
If you have both, I'm in no position to say otherwise.    Yes, I also meant to say the K702 not K701...  In any case, the 65th version has full bass extension all the way down to the lowest lows.   A quick listen to Trentemoller/Perverse etc confirmed that.   A slight nudge on the EQ slider or flip on the bass boost on my FiiO E12a, (+4db)  and it's a non issue.  (assuming you have a quality EQ, NOT the one in itunes...) 

Yeah, I know, the Anniversary Edition bass sounds great, and I tend to like it a bit more than the K712, both are great headphones. Anyway, I insist, there's something special in the K702/65 and AKG is not telling, its the only k7 series headphone to have a frecuency response as low as 8 hz. I know that frecuency range below 20 isn't hearable but the thing is there is something that makes them different from all others.

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #262 of 4,580
  I'm looking to upgrade from the Creative Aurvana Live! at the moment, would this be a good bet or is there a better upgrade going from my current set?

I mostly listen to classical, piano, rock, electronic music.

Just get them, you wont be dissapointed. But hurry, only a few left....

Oh for EDM, you will still get good bass but nothing hard thomping or like bass heavy headphones. Not sure but the CALs have a warm signature and have some deep bass when you play some EDM, at least thats what i have read. Never owned a pair.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #263 of 4,580
Well, crap, sucked me in.  I think I was purchaser ~1870.  I've owned the Anniversarys (but paid about $150 more).  I suppose I could find a buyer for these as well, if I don't like them.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #264 of 4,580
  Just get them, you wont be dissapointed. But hurry, only a few left....

I'm not sure about that. According to some posts in the discussion on the drop page, there will probably be unlimited/non-first edition versions of the K7XX headphones at a later time after the 6k initial run of massdrop editions are exhausted. I would have instantly jumped in for one if no more were being made beyond the 6k, but judging by the massive demand of these cans and the revenue stream generated by these in just 2 days (going to hit $200,000! for massdrop), I doubt they'll only make 6k and leave the K7XX just to a limited edition/first edition run. If they did that, these headphones would be truly special.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #265 of 4,580
  The original K701's don't have a detachable cable or a 3pin mini xlr connector. They can be easily balanced/re-terminated.

Depends on what you consider easy.  Headphones that have cables going to both earcups are far easier to balance than single entry ones.  I'd also say that it is harder to get a strong joint on the round rods of the AKGs than something like the solder pads of Denon or Beyerdynamic headphones.  Even hardwiring Hifiman headphones are slightly less obnoxious once you get rid of the coax connectors.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #266 of 4,580
  I'm not sure about that. According to some posts in the discussion on the drop page, there will probably be unlimited/non-first edition versions of the K7XX headphones at a later time after the 6k initial run of massdrop editions are exhausted. I would have instantly jumped in for one if no more were being made beyond the 6k, but judging by the massive demand of these cans and the revenue stream generated by these in just 2 days (going to hit $200,000! for massdrop), I doubt they'll only make 6k and leave the K7XX just to a limited edition/first edition run. If they did that, these headphones would be truly special.

Well, so much for limited edition :p

I wouldnt mind honestly if they continued to make them, as long as they continue to deliver quality components at a cheap price.

And yea i was thinking about that as well, I doubt they will only make 6k.

Monaaaay talks lol

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #267 of 4,580
  Well, so much for limited edition :p

I wouldnt mind honestly if they continued to make them, as long as they continue to deliver quality components at a cheap price.

And yea i was thinking about that as well, I doubt they will only make 6k.

Monaaaay talks lol

It would be really interesting if Massdrop really did make only one run of headphones, but started making these custom limited edition versions of highly acclaimed and classic headphones with minor tweaks in aesthetics and sonics. The K7XX is a good start. Maybe they should try something like an HD650 limited edition next or a Hifiman headphone. I think they'd have just as many takers for those as they do for the K7XX and maybe even more when people could be sure that they are really limited editions. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #270 of 4,580
For the love of audio, please don't assume they tweaked the sonics.

Was talking about pads changes/driver depth etc. Not actual electrical engineering. Like modding headphones with acoustics is what I meant...I agree these are 99% assembled using different parts of different AKG products from the K701, Annies, and/or K712. Still, killer deal. I'll stick to my Ultrasone Pro 900 and Hifiman HE-6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back