The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 25, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #226 of 4,580
Or a NAD amp. NAD tend to typically have a nice warm and smooth presentation to the sound while retaining the natural soundstage and detail of the headphones being used. My Q701 with the D 3020 is a near perfect match and I'm very eager to see how the K7XX sound through it too.

That NAD is more than 3 times the price of either of the other two I mentioned - Of course more money would buy better quality but keeping budget around $100-$150, which amp is best for these?

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #227 of 4,580
Damn. I own a pair of the Q701 and I'm having a hard time resisting the urge to buy the K7XX. But I need to sell the Q701 if I do and they're made in Austria. So bit of a novelty there. Decisions decisions.

Same here (though I already did the impulse purchase on the K7XX). I also have a pair of Austria Q701s and should sell them but being the Austria version is keeping me on the fence. I may just wait until I actually get the K7XXs and see if I can stand giving up the Q701s.  They've built up some sentimental value since they were my first real pair of headphones.

I also ordered a pair of HE-400s last week, so the wife is pushing for me to either return the HE-400s or sell the Q701s.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #228 of 4,580
Or a NAD amp. NAD tend to typically have a nice warm and smooth presentation to the sound while retaining the natural soundstage and detail of the headphones being used. My Q701 with the D 3020 is a near perfect match and I'm very eager to see how the K7XX sound through it too.

That NAD is more than 3 times the price of either of the other two I mentioned - Of course more money would buy better quality but keeping budget around $100-$150, which amp is best for these?

Ah yes that's true, hmm I've heard great things about Schit though.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #229 of 4,580

WHY ?

It's an impedance interaction. You ideally want an 8 to 1 ratio (or more) between your output impedance and the load it must drive. As that ratio shrinks, you get frequency response alterations that can really change the sound. 

I drive my Q701 out of the headphone out of a Marantz integrated amp, which has plenty of grunt power. It runs off the main amp with resistors. I don't know the exact output impedance but suspect it is around 100-120 ohms based on how heqdphone outs of components are usually configured. My Q701 is by no means bassy out of this setup. In fact the bass is very much how Tyll describes it in his review. Tight and musical but not a ton of presence or impact.

I ordered the K7xx as I would like a little more bass impact. However I wonder if I wold be better off just trying to get Annie pads as I actually like the Q701 headband just fine and like the. Green accents on my black Q701.

I've seen some integrated amps with low impedance headphone outs. I've also seen some with ridiculously high impedance.... I thought the Marantz stuff usually had their own dedicated HDAM modules for headphone output but maybe not all of them do. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #230 of 4,580
Same here. Unless a pair of Sennheiser HD595 counts as a real headphone. I had the AKG for almost 4 years now... They're pretty much my favorite pair despite a large collection that includes a Denon D5000.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #231 of 4,580
  I love both my K702/65 and my K712, it's a shame I can't use them both at the same time :p

I know that problem... so many headphones, so few ears :wink:
Plus I'm running out of space on my desk.

Fun speculation for sure, but we really have no idea what AKG might be up to in the near future. The K7 series has been around in one form or another since 2006 - nobody would have predicted it would still be going strong after 8 years. So guessing their next step may be just as difficult to anticipate.

Yes, its pure speculation. That though just crossed my mind while writing the last post, pondering why AKG might be doing this. And I can't imagine they're leaving out the K7 range completely. But lets see... To me at least the K812 came out of a blue sky so to say, I sure hope they have something up their sleeve.

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #233 of 4,580
  lol a bit surprised that a thread about "the site that must not be named" is going hahaha

When there's money involved,  anything could be an exception...
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #234 of 4,580
I don't perceive it as such. It's got nice depth - not on par with HD800, but what is? There's a hint of grain at times but it's mostly under control, which is the same for the sibilance issue too. 

Haven't tried tons of EDM yet but I've done a bit of Pendulum and it's definitely the most satisfying I've heard from the series (keeping in mind I haven't heard the K712). Still not an Audeze but reasonably impressive nonetheless. 

Pendulum? Ya sold me.

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #236 of 4,580
  So would these be considered a step up from ATH-M50's?

And would a FIIO E10 Olympus be able to power these?

Thanks!

Seriously, easily twice as good, IMHO, as the M50's, if properly amped.
I should add, that they really do have a different signature. The M50's are darker and not as detailed, I would think, having owned all the K700's in the akg series at one point or another.
Not sure about the FIIO E10.

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #238 of 4,580
  Alright cool, what would you consider a proper amp for these?

Well, so far from what I have read, they seem to be very simular to the K712 Pro, so I would check this forum.
You should be able to ask if anyone has tried the FIIO with what results, I would think it would be close to the same thing.

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #240 of 4,580
Guys, does anyone know whether the Massdrop K7XX earpads are deeper than the stock K612 earpads, thus more similar to the classic K702 pads?
Thanks in advance :}

Users who are viewing this thread

Back