The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #241 of 4,580
Guys, does anyone know whether the Massdrop K7XX earpads are deeper than the stock K612 earpads, thus more similar to the classic K702 pads?
Thanks in advance :}

Conq,

The Annie pads, what these are using, are made of the same material of the K712 pads, just a bit thinner in depth.

If my memory serves me right, they may be a little thicker than the K612 pads, but not by much. Different material being used, though...

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #242 of 4,580
Conq,

The Annie pads, what these are using, are made of the same material of the K712 pads, just a bit thinner in depth.

If my memory serves me right, they may be a little thicker than the K612 pads, but not by much. Different material being used, though...

Thanks Change
Then that means that the K702 pads are deeper than both? I had both the K612 and K702 pads with me and found the K702 substantially deeper and more comfortable.

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #243 of 4,580
Ugg...  I hope these turn out to be good.

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #244 of 4,580
I am pretty tempted to pull the trigger... But I am not sure I need them. I already own the semi open Fidelio L2 and have just pulled the trigger on the semi open K240 MKII. I'll see which of the two I'll keep for portable use. I also own the HE-560 for desktop use, which is my primary headphone.
But since the K7XX is just a re-batched K712/K702 Annie at a stupendous price, it is hard to resist... Especially since I really liked the K612s,.. Decisions, decisions  
frown.gif

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #245 of 4,580
I am pretty tempted to pull the trigger... But I am not sure I need them. I already own the semi open Fidelio L2 and have just pulled the trigger on the semi open K240 MKII. I'll see which of the two I'll keep for portable use. I also own the HE-560 for desktop use, which is my primary headphone.
But since the K7XX is just a re-batched K712/K702 Annie at a stupendous price, it is hard to resist... Especially since I really liked the K612s,.. Decisions, decisions  :frowning2:

DO IT!!!! :)

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #246 of 4,580
Can't resist.. got 1.

Wonder how these will compare with the LCD2, I'm looking for a slightly brighter hps.

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #247 of 4,580
DO IT!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

But... but... but! What if the earpads are too shallow? 
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I'll wait for now. There're two more drops up to the total of 6000 units at least, so there's time for now. I might give them a shot pretty soon though 
biggrin.gif
 I wonder whether the treble harshness that I've experienced with the K612 is gone or not.

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #248 of 4,580
  But... but... but! What if the earpads are too shallow? 
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I'll wait for now. There're two more drops up to the total of 6000 units at least, so there's time for now. I might give them a shot pretty soon though 
biggrin.gif
 I wonder whether the treble harshness that I've experienced with the K612 is gone or not.

Can't speak for these but I can say after a few hours of the 65th annis I didn't find them harsh at all.  I really don't like harsh.  I went with C414XLS over XLSII mics for that reason.  If they are the same transducers, should be ok.

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #250 of 4,580
  The Q701 has a little too much bass for my taste
How's the bass quantity on the K7XX ?

Q701 has too much bass???  Wow, that's the first I've heard.  Anyway, if the K7xx is indeed an anni, it would have a tad more bass than Q701,  barely though....

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #252 of 4,580
If the K7XX have a +3db bass, they're more likely to be a chinese version of the K712 qnd not the annies... I own both the K702/65th and the K712 pro, and when I compared them with an older K701, i did notice more bass on both units, however, the increased bass on the K712 was more noticeable, not a lot more anyway... I doo think there is slightly more bass in the K712 than on the K702/65th... But difference is not easily noticeable.

By the way, I dont remember seen a 3db increase on any official comunication made by AKG or in the tech sheets for the K702 Anniversary Edition... The 3db increase was a statement used to advertise the K712.

Qnyway, if they weere not made in china, maybe I'll give them a try... When they are relased please let us know your opinions ¿Are they really another K702/65th or AKG fool you to buy an standard k702 with annie pads? ¿Are they K712 made in china? ¿Are they a totally different set of headphones?

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #253 of 4,580

That's my plan as well... by current reckoning we may get the Pulse X about the same time as the K7XX-MD is scheduled to arrive. 
atsmile.gif

Just a heads up, none of the K series AKGs are easy to mod for balanced use.  Or at least not nearly as easy as other headphones which simply need a connector swap on the cable.  It is not easy to neatly swap out the 3 pin min XLR for a 4 pin, nor is it easy or very clean to put holes in the cups.  It can be done and their are decent pictures online to help, but having done a couple, I'd say if these were being bought with the main purpose of balancing, there are far better headphones to try.  Then again, these seem to be a very good deal at $200.  

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #254 of 4,580
If the K7XX have a +3db bass, they're more likely to be a chinese version of the K712 qnd not the annies... I own both the K702/65th and the K712 pro, and when I compared them with an older K701, i did notice more bass on both units, however, the increased bass on the K712 was more noticeable, not a lot more anyway... I doo think there is slightly more bass in the K712 than on the K702/65th... But difference is not easily noticeable.

By the way, I dont remember seen a 3db increase on any official comunication made by AKG or in the tech sheets for the K702 Anniversary Edition... The 3db increase was a statement used to advertise the K712.

Qnyway, if they weere not made in china, maybe I'll give them a try... When they are relased please let us know your opinions ¿Are they really another K702/65th or AKG fool you to buy an standard k702 with annie pads? ¿Are they K712 made in china? ¿Are they a totally different set of headphones?

Yeah.....   Or are both the 65th and K712pro really just K701 with flat headband and memory foam pads that account for +3 db bass and different paint jobs, but overpriced because they are (were) made in Austria? 

Christ, what have I got myself into...   A 65th/K7xx comparo looks like.

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #255 of 4,580
  Just a heads up, none of the K series AKGs are easy to mod for balanced use.  Or at least not nearly as easy as other headphones which simply need a connector swap on the cable.

The original K701's don't have a detachable cable or a 3pin mini xlr connector. They can be easily balanced/re-terminated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back