The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 22, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #1,351 of 4,580
Hmmm looking at the pictures it seems like I may of made a mistake. My K7xx pads do seem smaller than my old K712 pads but this could be down to production variation. The older Annie pads in his pictures seem slightly smaller. Hard to picture the original Annie pads which is annoying because it was my fav headphone. The sound though is pretty much the same as I remember them. Obviously some intimacy changes would be the result of going to the smaller pads.

I purchased a newer K701 about 3months back and they still sounded different to the Q701. They had that prominent peak and more dry nature. While gaming in Dolby headphone the K701 stretched out further while the Q701 had a more controlled soundstage of that makes sense. My K712 with Q701 pads sounded Similar to the K701 but even sharper at top. I think its just basically a K701 but more prominent mid peak to stop the warmth taking over since the original Annie was darker, more closed in.

AKG are one crazy company but at least the revisions and slight upgrades sound good. In my old Annie review on a different website I had them trading blows with the LCD2 in some aspects of their mid range.

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #1,352 of 4,580
I've just recently received these headphones and have been running it without a dac/amp. The soundstage is fantastic but there seems like there could be a lot of improvement. The volume is weak even at max volume and it's not as detailed as I imagine it could be. What setup should I be looking at to properly enjoy these headphones? It seems like the Schiit stack or o2+ODAC are popular. If I do go for the Schiit stack are the Uber versions preferable? I am a gamer and I've read about people using certain sound cards for their surround sound capabilities while still being able to use a separate dac/amp for superior sound quality.

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #1,354 of 4,580
They need an amp. They are not difficult to drive but without an amp they will sound unimpressive. Get some juice in them and you will here what these have to offer.

Yes, connections ard the same.

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #1,355 of 4,580
  I've just recently received these headphones and have been running it without a dac/amp. The soundstage is fantastic but there seems like there could be a lot of improvement. The volume is weak even at max volume and it's not as detailed as I imagine it could be. What setup should I be looking at to properly enjoy these headphones? It seems like the Schiit stack or o2+ODAC are popular. If I do go for the Schiit stack are the Uber versions preferable? I am a gamer and I've read about people using certain sound cards for their surround sound capabilities while still being able to use a separate dac/amp for superior sound quality.

What is you source/amp right now?

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #1,357 of 4,580
If the current request count on massdrop is say...2777, does that mean in 23 requests we will get another chance to buy them?

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #1,359 of 4,580
This was made obvious when they decided to shift the Annie pads to be the same as the 712 pads. AKG makes changes without saying so. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they just use the 712 drivers for all the 700 line, to cut down of fragmentation, and streamline their products even more.

Of course, AKG will never confirm or deny, since they like to give us the run around until the end of time.

Just enjoy the K7XX, which not too long ago was basically sold for over double the price under a different model.

AKG are one crazy company but at least the revisions and slight upgrades sound good. In my old Annie review on a different website I had them trading blows with the LCD2 in some aspects of their mid range.

In the beginning of K7XX drop there was a confusion on Massdrop as well. Some user on Massdrop emailed AKG directly and asked what K7XX is based on, AKG representative replied and stated the K7XX is based on AKG K712, the user then posted AKG reply in the discussion thread.

I think at this point it is safe to assume that the new Annies, K712 and K7XX are basically the same phones, probably just with different earpads. The listening tests by several users seem to also confirm this.
I don't believe the AKG will ever officially admit or deny... they would keep their obligations to their worldwide dealer base that sell K712 and K702AE at much higher price. Actually, it was complaints coming to AKG from the dealers that prevented Massdrop from shipping K7XX to international buyers in the middle of the drop.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #1,360 of 4,580
Probably not, no. Massdrop will drop them again when they drop them again. When is anybody's guess.

Ah, for shame...

"The drop has ended!
Want to bring it back? Request it! After 200 requests, we’ll contact the vendor to re-launch the drop."

So this is all lies? boo.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #1,361 of 4,580
  In the beginning of K7XX drop there was a confusion on Massdrop as well. Some user on Massdrop emailed AKG directly and asked what K7XX is based on, AKG representative replied and stated the K7XX is based on AKG K712, the user then posted AKG reply in the discussion thread.

I think at this point it is safe to assume that the new Annies, K712 and K7XX are basically the same phones, probably just with different earpads. The listening tests by several users seem to also confirm this.
I don't believe the AKG will ever officially admit or deny... they would keep their obligations to their worldwide dealer base that sell K712 and K702AE at much higher price. Actually, it was complaints coming to AKG from the dealers that prevented Massdrop from shipping K7XX to international buyers in the middle of the drop.

I don't think that's true. I've followed the entire 200+ pages of the massdrop discussion & I do not remember seeing that.

Will (the massdrop dude who organized the drop) confirmed that the AKG K7xx is based on the K702 65th anniversary & that is also what it says in the product description.

The K712 pro is based on the k702 65th annies, but people say there are differences beyond mere cosmetics. The K7xx should be identical to the k702 65th annies except for the color.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #1,362 of 4,580
I'll try to find his post... it is somewhere between pages 15 and 30.

Massdrop stating K7XX based on Annies does not meant the new Annies and K712 can't use the same drivers. The description of the sound ( +3 dB bass boost, the mellowing of mids, etc.) looks the same to me.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #1,364 of 4,580
What does he mean by the K712 having Angled earpads? Like the Q701? I dont see any angle in Chicolm's picture. I just see them as more protruding and less rounded along the edges, which is closer to what my K7xx have.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,365 of 4,580
What does he mean by the K712 having Angled earpads? Like the Q701? I dont see any angle in Chicolm's picture. I just see them as more protruding and less rounded along the edges, which is closer to what my K7xx have.

They are not angled, have no clue why he says they are angled. They are simply deep memory foam pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back