The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #1,532 of 6,345
A great, make that awesome, comparison of the K712 vs the Q701 (and HD650) is here:
www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/9482

For the difference in cash, I'm going with the Q701 as a 'slight' upgrade to my K702.  I'm shooting eventually for the T1, and since in the US the K712 is TWICE the price of the Q701, I'd rather just stick with that.  I'm sure I'll be thrilled.  The K702 is my desert island headphone anyway, so even no improvement is fine with me.  Any improvement is gravy!

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #1,535 of 6,345
Thanks, point is, I already own the K501 which I love for jazz trio's and piano/chamber music. Orcherstral stuff like Mahler is to lightweighted for my taste on the K501 (and my GS1000 isn't tight enough in the bass department) so that's why I'm considering an open headphone which does more justice the the bottom without offering to much in the mids or space wise..

Another point is I'm quite sensitive to sibilance..

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #1,536 of 6,345
  Thanks, point is, I already own the K501 which I love for jazz trio's and piano/chamber music. Orcherstral stuff like Mahler is to lightweighted for my taste on the K501 (and my GS1000 isn't tight enough in the bass department) so that's why I'm considering an open headphone which does more justice the the bottom without offering to much in the mids or space wise..

Another point is I'm quite sensitive to sibilance..

Huh, interesting. The K501 gives a pretty good point of reference. If you do not find the K501 sibilant at all ever, you probably won't find the Q701 sibilant either. The K712 would be an interesting choice for you, because it would provide a balance to the very bass light K501. I would place the Q701 between the two in terms of bass impact.

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #1,537 of 6,345
Maybe I should meet in the middle and settle for an Annie
confused.gif
.. Or be money wise and go 4 the Q..

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #1,544 of 6,345
Depends on your budget of course, but I am using this one, perfect with jazz, classical and opera. Doesnt mean it will be bad with other genres, it is just that K702 cant do all and shines with good material only.

Some guys, who owns Anniversary Edition, bought angled K702 pads as extra, specifically for music above and the rest they listen with memory pads, but I found them not my liking.

You have any suggestions?

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #1,545 of 6,345
It sounds like you successfully made it through the initial adjustment phase between the Q701 and K712.  That's the hardest part IMO, and once you get past it it gets easier to appreciate what the K712s bring to the table.

It sounds like your now warming up to the K712.  :wink:  

Whaaaamp whaaaamp whaaam wah.

I dunno if I'll ever get around to a formal review of them, I've ended up just listening. When I get the chance. Last few days I've checked my emails and gone to bed (or tried to see my gf for just a few minutes), didn't really have time or awakeness to set up for the K712 and pay attention to them. It's not that there's any fault to them (so far I think they're more pleasant straight out from an iPod than the Q701 was; tho I prefer them amped, their iPod performance gives them extra points in the ease to live with category if they weren't already advanced because of earpad and headband comfort), the fault is I've been giving most of my energy to work.

P.S. Anyone else get iOS 7 on their apple devices? I thought the colors looked gaudy and retro from the pre-developer-beta-release leaks, but I warmed up to it when I saw someone with a Dev beta of it on their phone! and now that I have it on my iPad I find it gorgeous. Has worked very well too, except I can't seem to turn off private browsing, so now I gotta manually log in to Head-Fi to post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back