The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #1,336 of 6,345
Following it too. If I don't end up liking the 400, I might try this one out.

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #1,337 of 6,345
This will sound random, but the color scheme reminds me of TRON. Now this headphone is going to be sitting in the back of my head.

Not just because of that! I've been following it for a bit now for super serious audiophile reasons, I promise.

Lol, I was thinking the same thing about the black/blue accent K701 65th Anniversaries!

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #1,338 of 6,345
So guyzzzz... I have an opportunity to buy a pair of used K712 at a good price, but I don't really have issue with my Q701 besides long term comfort (headband bumps) and sometimes the treble glare. Does anybody think $100 is worth the difference between these two models?
Would appreciate anyone's input (even if you're just reinforcing what someone else says). I'm reading Ethan7000 and Chico's impressions on my next break.

Following it too. If I don't end up liking the 400, I might try this one out.

Personally, I felt the midrange was sucked out front he HE 400 compared to the Q701s I have. I hated it, vocals were buried.

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,339 of 6,345
So guyzzzz... I have an opportunity to buy a pair of used K712 at a good price, but I don't really have issue with my Q701 besides long term comfort (headband bumps) and sometimes the treble glare. Does anybody think $100 is worth the difference between these two models?
Would appreciate anyone's input (even if you're just reinforcing what someone else says). I'm reading Ethan7000 and Chico's impressions on my next break..

I knew you would cave in soon! lol

Well, from personal experience I was extremely please moving up to the Anniversary from the Q701. And at the price you paid for the K712... you won, my friend.

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #1,340 of 6,345
WELL!!!
it's $100 more than my Q701 is worth, so used for $325 (or $330 perhaps, haven't committed yet).
Of course, I haven't heard the anniversary, but... extremely pleased sounds like a pretty sound endorsement. Still gotta read Chico's review, where is it? I've got 6 minutes left on my break!

everyone at work thinks I'm crazy for spending over $100 on headphones, but we all know I'm beyond that point :wink:

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #1,341 of 6,345
Quote:

Would appreciate anyone's input (even if you're just reinforcing what someone else says). I'm reading Ethan7000 and Chico's impressions on my next break.
Personally, I felt the midrange was sucked out front he HE 400 compared to the Q701s I have. I hated it, vocals were buried.

Do you have the chance to compare them back to back?

With the K712 you will lose some air and get a darker, thicker, rounder sound.  There will be more meat and body to the sounds.  The soundstage will be slightly more intimate sounding due to the thicker signature, but not quite as intimate as the Anniversary.  The upper mids will be pushed back and smoothened out to have less edge.  There will be more bass.  I miss the air from the Q701, but I also think the upper mids on the Q701 can be problematic with their dryness and edginess.  I don't think you can have one without the other with the AKG driver.  Overall, I would rather take the K712s approach of smoothing those upper mids down at the cost of losing some air.

Unfortunately, unlike with the Anniversary and Q701 you can't "keep" both sounds around just by having both pads.  If you put the angled pads on the K712 it still won't sound quite like the Q701.  So the only way to keep both sounds this time is to actually have both headphones.  Not that I think it's worth doing that, as the sound is too similar to warrant it using both of them IMO.

I think the price difference between them is worth it, but I'm sure tdock wouldn't as he already dislikes the Anniversary compared to the Q701.

Quote:
  WELL!!!
it's $100 more than my Q701 is worth, so used for $325 (or $330 perhaps, haven't committed yet).
Of course, I haven't heard the anniversary, but... extremely pleased sounds like a pretty sound endorsement. Still gotta read Chico's review, where is it? I've got 6 minutes left on my break!

everyone at work thinks I'm crazy for spending over $100 on headphones, but we all know I'm beyond that point :wink:

The review isn't done yet, but it will essentially be a consolidation of all the various little posts on them I've already done.   If you've read through stuff I've already posted on them you should have a pretty decent idea.

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #1,343 of 6,345
I'm sure you've mentioned this already but I forgot... what effect does the angled pads have on the K712?

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,344 of 6,345
  WELL!!!

If your talking about a certain classified in a certain FS forum, I would jump on that as that's a very nice price and they're like a week old.  You can always resell them if you don't like them.

I'm sure you've mentioned this already but I forgot... what effect does the angled pads have on the K712?

It sounds a bit smoother, rounder, and more liquid-like than the Q701. A little less less dry with a little more body.

Basically the same changes between the Anniversary and K712, but now applied to the Q701.

The angled pads do bring with them some more prominent upper mids.  I'm sure you noticed this between the Q701 and Anniversary.  The K712 can't stop that from happening, but it will smooth them and de-egde them some.  They won't be quite as prominent as on the Q701 and they will be less dry.

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #1,345 of 6,345
Thanks, I ask because this time I may get the angled pads to go with the K712 once I purchase them. Do the angled pads still give it more air? Because if so then I will be using them strictly for competetive games. I would have done so for the Anniversary but once I got used to the memory pads on the Q701 I never switched back. The mids became a bit too piercing and dry evertime I would shoot.

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #1,346 of 6,345
'Intimacy ' always gives me the impression of listening to music in a small jazz club. That vaguely worries me as I appreciate a large soundstage for gaming. Or, the idea of having a BF3 match in a small jazz club terrifies me.

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #1,347 of 6,345
Right now I'm bouncing between the K712, the KEF M500, and the Senn IE800.  Every time I listen to the K712 I appreciate the sound stage and the fact I feel immersed in the music rather than listening to it, if that makes any sense. 

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #1,348 of 6,345
  Right now I'm bouncing between the K712, the KEF M500, and the Senn IE800.  Every time I listen to the K712 I appreciate the sound stage and the fact I feel immersed in the music rather than listening to it, if that makes any sense. 

Ummm...you're comparing portable headphones to IEMs to full sized cans. Kinda like apples to oranges to bananas. 
size]

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #1,349 of 6,345
Thanks, I ask because this time I may get the angled pads to go with the K712 once I purchase them. Do the angled pads still give it more air? Because if so then I will be using them strictly for competetive games. I would have done so for the Anniversary but once I got used to the memory pads on the Q701 I never switched back. The mids became a bit too piercing and dry evertime I would shoot.

They give it more air, but it still won't reach the Q701s level of air.  It will be a little more rounded off still. 

It should work good for competitve though, and be a bit less dry and fatiguing than the Q701.  That's something I plan on using the angled pads for.

I thought you already had angled pads that you had been using on your Anniversaries?

'Intimacy ' always gives me the impression of listening to music in a small jazz club. That vaguely worries me as I appreciate a large soundstage for gaming. Or, the idea of having a BF3 match in a small jazz club terrifies me.

I wouldn't worry about it.  They still have a large soundstage.  It's a little larger sounding than the Anniversaries.

It's just hard for a warmer thicker signature to NOT sound a little more intimate.  Thinner airier signatures tend to give the impression of having larger sounding soundstages.

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #1,350 of 6,345

Ummm...you're comparing portable headphones to IEMs to full sized cans. Kinda like apples to oranges to bananas. 
size]

Yeah I know!  
basshead.gif
  Not really pitting them against each other, but evaluating them for their own merits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back