The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Aug 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #1,216 of 6,345
Quote:
Maybe the Annie has more forward low mids than the K712? I think the K712 had less forward (sounding) low mids than the Annie, so that's a plus to me.

The K712 has a fuller low end and low mids than the Anniversary, and the Anniversary is lighter with more upper mids than the K712.

The Annie doesn't really sound totally smooth to me. Even saying it's as smooth sounding as the HD-650 is a bit weird to me.
So anyway, i'm guessing I would find the K712 much more smooth sounding than the Annie. The pads also probably don't compress as much.

The K712 is smoother sounding than the Anniversary.  The Anniversaries mids are little drier and the K712s are more liquid-y smooth.

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #1,217 of 6,345
Just got back from Mexico, a week on the beach, unplugged from the internet, enjoying nature.  I've caught up on this thread and my first thought is we all owe Chicolom a big THANKS for spending the time to answer everyone's questions.  Looking forward to getting my K712s back and doing my own analysis.

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #1,219 of 6,345
Quote:
I know people may have asked that but, for the same price, is it worth buying the K712 or the anniversary?

It depends on what you're looking for.

They're a bit different sounding. The K712 is a little warmer and has more fullness and body, a little more bass, a blacker background, and sounds a little more smooth and liquid-like.  The K702 Anniversary is a little lighter, drier,  faster, and airier sounding.

Personally, I prefer the sound of the K712 overall, but I think the Anniversary looks better.

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #1,220 of 6,345
Quote:

It depends on what you're looking for.

They're a bit different sounding. The K712 is a little warmer and has more fullness and body, a little more bass, a blacker background, and sounds a little more smooth and liquid-like.  The K702 Anniversary is a little lighter, drier,  faster, and airier sounding.

Personally, I prefer the sound of the K712 overall, but I think the Anniversary looks better.

I was looking for something for classical music. I read the anniversary was good for that. 
Does their difference interfere on that matter?

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #1,221 of 6,345
Quote:
I was looking for something for classical music. I read the anniversary was good for that. 

Can I give my opinion? Though I have not heard the K712... from what I've been reading is the Annies would suit genres like classical and Jazz more than the K712 would (by only a slight margin I believe).

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #1,222 of 6,345
It seems like AKG is covering there bases with each one getting warmer and warmer. K701/2<Q701<65th Anv.<K712
Am I correct to assume this?

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #1,223 of 6,345
Quote:
It seems like AKG is covering there bases with each one getting warmer and warmer. K701/2<Q701<65th Anv.<K712

I assume the same from all I've been reading about each one.... so you are not alone. I have only heard the Q701 and 65th, though.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #1,224 of 6,345
The Annie is already quite warm. Damn, how much warmer can the K712 be?

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #1,225 of 6,345
Quote:

Quote:

Can I give my opinion? Though I have not heard the K712... from what I've been reading is the Annies would suit genres like classical and Jazz more than the K712 would (by only a slight margin I believe).

I think it can still go either way.  The main advantage I hear on the Anniversary is it having the air be a little more forward in the mix.  The K712 still has air, it's just less forward.  I think the timbre of instruments sounds a little more natural on the K712 though.  Also, the K712 is slightly less intimate sounding thanks to its deeper pads.  Having more body while simultaneously being a slighlty more open is a cool combination and can work well for classical.

Quote:

That's basically correct, although just saying they get warmer is an oversimplification as the timbre is different on each one.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #1,226 of 6,345
Quote:
The Annie is already quite warm. Damn, how much warmer can the K712 be?

It's not definitely not as drastic as the difference between Q701 and the Anniversary.  It's more like it trades the Anniversaries upper mids and dryness for more overall body and a more liquid sound.  Luckily, the soundstage doesn't sound any smaller like on the Q701>Anniversary, because the K712s deeper pads cancel it out.   I think one of the main reasons the Q701>Anniversary sounds more intimate is actually because of those closer pads, more-so than the actual warmer signature.  I did a lot of pad swapping between the two and the pads made a bigger difference in how intimate the soundstage was than I thought they would.

While I appreciate the Anniversary's greater sense of air, there's also something a bit thin, harsh, and peaky somewhere in the mids that bothers me a little when I go back to them after listening to the K712.  The K712 smooths out the upper mids even more and is just really rich, full, and unfatiguing sounding.  It's one of the least fatiguing headphones I've heard.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #1,227 of 6,345
Quote:

...the K712 is slightly less intimate sounding thanks to its deeper pads.  Having more body while simultaneously being a slighlty more open is a cool combination and can work well for classical.

You're really makin me think about ordering some thicker memory pads in the distant future. I'm going to wait until they manufacture more...

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #1,228 of 6,345
Quote:

You're really makin me think about ordering some thicker memory pads in the distant future. I'm going to wait until they manufacture more...

Unless you specifically want the more intimate sound, I think the K712 pads are all-around better.  They basically give you free soundstage.  The mids and stuff won't be quite as forward, but that's just because everything gets pushed back a little and is a bit more distant sounding.

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #1,229 of 6,345
Quote:
While I appreciate the Anniversary's greater sense of air, there's also something a bit thin, harsh, and peaky somewhere in the mids that bothers me a little when I go back to them after listening to the K712.  The K712 smooths out the upper mids even more and is just really rich, full, and unfatiguing sounding.  It's one of the least fatiguing headphones I've heard.

I'm glade you feel this way also, I thought I was the only one who felt this about the 65th Anniv., granted, it's a very minor annoyance to even compare to what the overall sound is being offered.  I'm curious to hear what the K712 sounds like now, oh well, I'm gonna pass as I told myself I'm done with buying headphone for a long while.  Thanks for the info chicolom, good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back