The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Aug 16, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #1,112 of 6,345
I am expecting a lot... Looking forward to this for months 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #1,115 of 6,345
Sent AKG an email asking if the drivers in the AKG K701 are the same the AKG K712 Pro drivers.  I will post their reply.

Grado drivers are all pretty much the same so I guess I do not see what the fuss is about.  Tuning headphones is common and if you like the change then it really does not matter if the drivers are the same or not.  Are the op-amps in such and such amp the same?  Questions like these may be important, but in the end it depends on whether one likes the sound or not.

It seems like many people are trying to throw AKG, a well respected manufacturer, under the bus for trying to make a headphone with updates that the community has wanted.  This includes the removal of the bumps on the headband and the addition of some much appreciated bass.  I think because they are getting very close to having an awesome headphone and willing to make adjustments is a great sign.

If you do not like the sound / changes do not buy the headphone.  No need to relentlessly complain about it.  We understand you just do not like the changes.  Enough said.

Perhaps those not satisfied will actually do something about it like write to AKG and give them some serious reasons on how to improve.

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #1,116 of 6,345
Quote:
Sent AKG an email asking if the drivers in the AKG K701 are the same the AKG K712 Pro drivers.  I will post their reply.

Grado drivers are all pretty much the same so I guess I do not see what the fuss is about.  Tuning headphones is common and if you like the change then it really does not matter if the drivers are the same or not.  Are the op-amps in such and such amp the same?  Questions like these may be important, but in the end it depends on whether one likes the sound or not.

It seems like many people are trying to throw AKG, a well respected manufacturer, under the bus for trying to make a headphone with updates that the community has wanted.  This includes the removal of the bumps on the headband and the addition of some much appreciated bass.  I think because they are getting very close to having an awesome headphone and willing to make adjustments is a great sign.

If you do not like the sound / changes do not buy the headphone.  No need to relentlessly complain about it.  We understand you just do not like the changes.  Enough said.

Perhaps those not satisfied will actually do something about it like write to AKG and give them some serious reasons on how to improve.

AKG will probably say the drivers are totally different since they have a different part # now.

I personally don't like the Anniversary much, but I'm glad they released a different "flavor" of the K702 sound. What's annoying is not knowing much about all the differences and how confusing AKG makes it. Even Beyerdynamic at least gives us an idea on their webpage as to what we should expect from each model. Of course they're not very accurate all the time!

It'd be really nice if the K712 really did have completely new drivers that are totally different than the K702/Q701 driver. 90% sure this isn't the case, but I hope so. Not hard to tune the driver itself to make it sound different I guess.

Maybe the K712 will end up being my favorite headphone if I ever try it. More than likely it's the same as the Anniversary, but so far I think one person said it wasn't.

If the sound matches up with those graphs I might not like it...not that graphs mean much to me anymore. I hope Tyll gets a chance to measure them too.

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #1,117 of 6,345
@chicolom: with MLee's permission, would you be so kind as to take off the grill and backing of the K702.65 and K712 to take a few photos of the back of the drivers in addition to those of the front when you're doing the comparisons? There are simple instructions in the service manuals on how to do this. The link to the K701 mod a few posts back has me intrigued as to what if any acoustic materials AKG have used to tune the drivers besides the foam ring on the front.

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #1,118 of 6,345
If Chicolom feels he can do that with no damage he's welcome to do as much as he feels comfortable with.  I just don't want a crackles, rattles headphone when I get it back.  Here's what I suggest - everybody needs some skin in the game.  I bought and sent them to a complete stranger.  Chicolom accepted the responsibility of checking them out for everyone and returning them to me, knowing he could drop them, run over them with a chair, etc.  Accidents happen.  Now you're asking him to increase his risk.  So everyone who wants to see the guts of the headphone, what are you willing to invest in the project?  Help cover my cost to repair them if they get trashed? 

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #1,119 of 6,345
Quote:
If Chicolom feels he can do that with no damage he's welcome to do as much as he feels comfortable with.  I just don't want a crackles, rattles headphone when I get it back.  Here's what I suggest - everybody needs some skin in the game.  I bought and sent them to a complete stranger.  Chicolom accepted the responsibility of checking them out for everyone and returning them to me, knowing he could drop them, run over them with a chair, etc.  Accidents happen.  Now you're asking him to increase his risk.  So everyone who wants to see the guts of the headphone, what are you willing to invest in the project?  Help cover my cost to repair them if they get trashed? 

I'd PayPal you $20

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #1,120 of 6,345
jmsaxon69 - thanks for your offer...  I'm kidding.  I'll let Chicolom do what he feels comfortable with.  If I didn't trust him I wouldn't have sent him $600 worth of headphones.  I know it is a risk, and I accepted the fact they could get broken, lost in the mail, whatever.  I put up the headphones, he invests his time, everyone benefits.  Good karma all around.  Is this a great hobby or what?

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #1,121 of 6,345
Quote:
@chicolom: with MLee's permission, would you be so kind as to take off the grill and backing of the K702.65 and K712 to take a few photos of the back of the drivers in addition to those of the front when you're doing the comparisons? There are simple instructions in the service manuals on how to do this. The link to the K701 mod a few posts back has me intrigued as to what if any acoustic materials AKG have used to tune the drivers besides the foam ring on the front.

As long as its OK with MLee I'm willing to take some pics of the inside. 

I just tried opening my Anniversaries to make sure it wasn't something that could damage the headphone and it was pretty easy to get open.  Here's a pic of the insides.  I can see it has that same material covering the back of the driver, and it looks the same to me as pictures of every other x70x driver.

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #1,122 of 6,345
Go for it.  Let's answer all the questions while you have the opportunity to compare side by side.

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #1,124 of 6,345
Quote:
As long as its OK with MLee I'm willing to take some pics of the inside. 

Yes, we wouldn't have it any other way. What MLee said is very pertinent as well, please don't take any risks with the K712 that's out of your comfort zone just to indulge our requests.

Major props to both of you guys for your generosity and for putting your time and money where your mouths are. Looking forward to those impressions!

Aug 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #1,125 of 6,345
The K712 arrived safe and sound.  I haven't unboxed it yet.  I'll try give them a listen later today....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back