The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #961 of 6,349
Quote:
I've heard polarizing responses for the Momentum.

In any case, the fact it's closed vs the open Annie also presents bass differently.

I certainly don't find it to have as much bass as that implies. I mean, neutral sounding, not sub bass heavy. Could also be how it fits the ears. It was totally on ear for me.

Momentum fit around my ear perfectly and the bass was phenomenal.  Tight and fast too!

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #962 of 6,349
Another headphone with a very flat bass presentation that didn't ooze 'phenomenal' was the pre-3.2 Mad Dogs. The bass was linear as all hell, but didn't exactly jump out. In fact, I felt the Annie had more lively bass. It wasn't until the MD 3.2 that really brought out the boom for me.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #964 of 6,349
Quote:
I DO believe it does jump up in both sub and mid bass, and not just a specific mid bass bump. Unlike what Tdock has stated, I DO believe the Annie does do sub bass better than the HD650, and pretty noticeably too. The 650 does win out in mid bass, however. But again, I tested a legit Annie, not just his Q701 with a pad swap (remember me saying your Q701 w/Annie pads was brighter than my Annies?). Also tested the Annie vs the HD650, of the SA-31 and Compass 2. Also, Tdock, you've stated a few times that your HD650 is very neutral and could swear the HD600 has more midbass or something. Your 650 isn't exactly what people are expecting/experience on the regular. The 650 is known for big mid bass, with a noticeable drop in sub bass, which I also experienced. The Annie definitely had more sub bass than the 650 I tested. Not even a question.

The bass jump seems to coincide how I feel the Annie jumps over the Q701. The Annie's bass is well rounded, in both sub and mid bass. Remember, I got to test BOTH side by side, no swapping pads. That graph is pretty accurate, IMHO. You guys are reading that sub bass like it's massive. Look at the Sennheiser Momentum's graphs.

I definitely do think there are some minor improvements in sub-bass on the Annie, but it seems mostly in the mid-bass. There are some different graphs of the HD-650 out there. One of them has a little more low bass, but with more distortion. I think I might have that pair. There's a few other small differences too. This one seems to have a little more upper mids than my last pair. It's really amazing how different pairs of the same headphone can sound so different. I wouldn't say my HD-650 is "very neutral", but pretty smooth sounding with nothing sticking out. Slight mid-bass emphasis, but not bad.

The main way it's colored is that it makes most everything sound good
biggrin.gif
My HD-650 clearly has a little more low-bass than the HD-600 (which I still own). I would say it has a little more low bass presence than my Q701 too. So your right that mine is a bit off the general consensus. My last two HD-650s had much more mid-bass and it was rather annoying. I actually think the Anniversary has more mid-bass than my current HD-650. Weird, I know. My HD-650 is actually even more airy and spacious sounding than this "Anniversary"(!). Not sure how that's even possible.

I still have to take it with a grain of salt that Q701 + Annie pads is 99% identical to the Anniversary. I trust you guys and now three people have said they're the same.

One thing I have to say though (sorry to derail a bit here) is that K702 + Annie pads might not be the same as the Anniversary or K712. This is assuming that every Q701 is different than the K702.

Maybe the Anniversary and this K712 really is just a standard K702 with 65th pads. K712 with the "best" hand selected drivers perhaps. This is really annoying and I wish AKG would tell us more about the differences.

My guess is that I would prefer a K702 + Annie pads over the Q701 + Annie pads. Q701 + Annie pads really does seem too congested, warm and dark. That's with a neutral amp/dac too.

I'm just adding more confusion!

I should buy a used K701 or K702 and see what the Annie pads do for it. I really wish I was made out of money and could compare them all for everyone.

Someone could get a K702, Annie, Q701 and K712 and compare and measure them along with doing pad swaps. I suggest bribing Tyll.

EDIT (more annoying comments):

My guess is that perhaps the Anniversary is not the Q701 + Annie pads but the regular old K702 + annie pads. It would make sense that you might not have been able to tell the difference.
Since my Q701 is warmer and slightly darker than the K702 it makes sense why Q701 + Anniversary pads sounds a bit too dark, muffled and congested. It almost feels like warmth overdose.

It'd be really funny if the K712 was actually warmer and bassier than the stock Anniversary.

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #966 of 6,349
Here is a comparison of K712 and K702-65 review made by a Chinese guy. I hope the Google translate is understandable. = =

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs.headphoneclub.com%2Fforum.php%3Fmod%3Dviewthread%26tid%3D235188%26extra%3D%26authorid%3D12325%26page%3D1&act=url

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #967 of 6,349
Aug 6, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #969 of 6,349
Quote:
Here is a comparison of K712 and K702-65 review made by a Chinese guy. I hope the Google translate is understandable. = =

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs.headphoneclub.com%2Fforum.php%3Fmod%3Dviewthread%26tid%3D235188%26extra%3D%26authorid%3D12325%26page%3D1&act=url

From what I understood, he's saying the K702 65th sounds different than the K712 and that the 65th is "creamier sounding".... 

Anyone here able to understand the original text?

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #970 of 6,349
Quote:

From what I understood, he's saying the K702 65th sounds different than the K712 and that the 65th is "creamier sounding".... 

Creamier?   Yum!!! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #971 of 6,349
Different ears, different preferences, different impressions, its all very subjective. Anniversary PADS make K702 sound like warmish, dark, bassy, cheap trash, closed back like headphones that can be called any name and only with lower level volume they are o.k., but nothing more. If that's what fund sounding headphones are, well, you got it, but don't say they are references class and the most balanced out there, just keep it to the subject and stop talking to the birds please.

THX

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #972 of 6,349
Quote:
Different ears, different preferences, different impressions, its all very subjective. Anniversary PADS make K702 sound like warmish, dark, bassy, cheap trash, closed back like headphones that can be called any name and only with lower level volume they are o.k., but nothing more. If that's what fund sounding headphones are, well, you got it, but don't say they are references class and the most balanced out there, just keep it to the subject and stop talking to the birds please.

THX

Are you grumpy? Anything else you want to complain about today?

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #973 of 6,349
Yeah, someone doesn't understand subjectivity. The Annie is warm, yet, there are plenty of warmer cans that have less air, and sound more intimate yet are highly valued and praised, like the LCD2 and Mad Dogs. That just sounds like a hate post, if I've ever seen one.

Hell, I don't like the K550 or A900x, but I certainly wouldn't bitch about it, like that. We all have specific tastes. the Annie suceeds in being a warm, very linear can. That may not be a flavor for you, but it is for plenty of others.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #975 of 6,349
Thing is, some people already don't like that the Annies are as warm as they are.

The X1 is definitely colder, and brighter than the Annie, by a stretch. Unless you're just talking about personal preference.

The X1 and Annie is a hell of a complimentary combo, IMHO. though I think in the case of owning the X1 as my main, I'd probably choose the HD650 instead, due it it being more intimate. I have my large, open sound in the X1, so I don't need the Annie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back