The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #871 of 6,345
Quote:  
Let's say 0-100 were for testing. You have 103. I have no idea how many people in the world own a pair. But irregardless, you may somehow have gotten the 3rd. I think the only thing you can be certain of from the serial number is that you have number 103, just as much the previous post knows he has #127. 

Then I may be wrong (sorry for that). But for me it still doesn't make sense if K702 65th and K712 are different.
Quote:
I'd like to hear your thoughts on the K550 vs. K712!

Sure! I will take them tomorrow for a weekend from work and do some comparison. Are you interested in some specific area?

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #872 of 6,345
Hasn't there been some speculation that the 550 have some ton of variation in sound? If so, I'd compare them with care, like first try to establish which 'version' of 550 is being discussed.

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #873 of 6,345
Quote:
I'd like to hear your thoughts on the K550 vs. K712!

After some time with both I would choose K550 connected with not-as-good source than K712 with good source. The thing is about bass. With the same source, K550 has wider and smooth and softer bass than K712. I think it is also louder. But opposite to K712 is better balanced with mids and treble. K712 has more punch but lacks low end bass compared to K550. Bass in K712 feels also more raw.

K712 has much better mids and treble. But when bass is starting it doesn't really matter because it destroy everything else. But I am not bass head and this is my very personal opinion. A little bit less bass, a little bit more mids and treble, a little bit less details and more musical and K712 would be perfect headphones to enjoy the music (at least rock music).

EDIT: I forgot about this but K712 feels more sealed than K550, which itself is weird because K712 are open and K550 are closed headphones.

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #874 of 6,345
Quote:
After some time with both I would choose K550 connected with not-as-good source than K712 with good source. The thing is about bass. With the same source, K550 has wider and smooth and softer bass than K712. I think it is also louder. But opposite to K712 is better balanced with mids and treble. K712 has more punch but lacks low end bass compared to K550. Bass in K712 feels also more raw.

K712 has much better mids and treble. But when bass is starting it doesn't really matter because it destroy everything else. But I am not bass head and this is my very personal opinion. A little bit less bass, a little bit more mids and treble, a little bit less details and more musical and K712 would be perfect headphones to enjoy the music (at least rock music).

EDIT: I forgot about this but K712 feels more sealed than K550, which itself is weird because K712 are open and K550 are closed headphones.

Based on your comments it sounds like you would like the Q701 (warmer version of the regular K702). If you can, try some K702/Q701 pads on the K712! The bass is usually just caused by the pads.
I've found the Q701 to have more upper mids and treble than the Anniversary (and perhaps K712 if it's the same). Sounds clearer too. The Annie does seem to have more mid-bass and low mid presence.
I still think the low bass of the Annie/Q701 is pretty pathetic compared to even the HD-650.

BTW I ALSO noticed the memory foam pads seem to give the headphone more isolation sort of. There is also more volume at the same volume settings with memory foam pads compared to regular pads.

For rock I think the K601 might be better than the Q701. Not really sure..

I didn't like the K550 because mine had rather thing thin/lean mids, but good bass. The K551 does seem to measure differently or better on the Goldenears website. Could be variations between pairs.

I want to find another closed headphone under $200 that has the bass of my DJ100/HD-650, but still retains good mids and isn't too dark. I was thinking of the HFI-580 (might have to sacrifice my mids a bit). The low bass of the DT-770 Pro 80 is a bit much..

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #875 of 6,345
Pathetic? I find the bass on the Annie's bass to be damn good and balanced, while the HD650 is slow and woolly in comparison., though I find the 650 quite balanced itself, if a bit emphasized on mid bass. The Annie had a better and more natural representation of bass than the 650, especially in the lower end, which the 650 rolled off earlier.

I love both those cans. If I had an alternative for the X1, I'd be happy either.

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #876 of 6,345
Hyperboles
regular_smile .gif

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #877 of 6,345
Based on your comments it sounds like you would like the Q701 (warmer version of the regular K702). If you can, try some K702/Q701 pads on the K712! The bass is usually just caused by the pads.
I've found the Q701 to have more upper mids and treble than the Anniversary (and perhaps K712 if it's the same). Sounds clearer too. The Annie does seem to have more mid-bass and low mid presence.
I still think the low bass of the Annie/Q701 is pretty pathetic compared to even the HD-650.

BTW I ALSO noticed the memory foam pads seem to give the headphone more isolation sort of. There is also more volume at the same volume settings with memory foam pads compared to regular pads.

For rock I think the K601 might be better than the Q701. Not really sure..

I didn't like the K550 because mine had rather thing thin/lean mids, but good bass. The K551 does seem to measure differently or better on the Goldenears website. Could be variations between pairs.

I want to find another closed headphone under $200 that has the bass of my DJ100/HD-650, but still retains good mids and isn't too dark. I was thinking of the HFI-580 (might have to sacrifice my mids a bit). The low bass of the DT-770 Pro 80 is a bit much..

Try the Soundmagic HP100... I was pretty happy with it when I had it.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #878 of 6,345
I'm listening to John Scofield's Uberjam on cd as a write this, and the 712 sounds absolutely superb. No problem with bass whatsoever, and in fact better than my other K702, and Q701. Deep, clean and very detailed. Big open soundstage with great detail and clarity. Have not heard the Annie's, so I can't compare. But these are great headphones.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #879 of 6,345
I just played the Fleetwood Mac masterpiece, Rumors. Wow. Put the 712 up against the HD800, and I preferred the 712. Can't say that on several other cd's I've tested head to head with the Senns, but many are close and some I prefer on the AKG.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #880 of 6,345
Quote:
Any idea when these will be released? I had just made up my mind to buy the K702 65th Anniversary Editions and now this has me drooling. =( haha

To some extent,the 65th edition sounds like more a "entertaining" headphone than a "classical" one. Especially in the fields of "big BASS" and "close soundstage"
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #881 of 6,345
Hi macbob73

Any chance you can switch the pads, between 712 and 702 I mean and tell us what you think of such change please. Do you feel / think that K712 pads are memory or just the same as on 702, only not angled?

THX

Quote:
I'm listening to John Scofield's Uberjam on cd as a write this, and the 712 sounds absolutely superb. No problem with bass whatsoever, and in fact better than my other K702, and Q701. Deep, clean and very detailed. Big open soundstage with great detail and clarity. Have not heard the Annie's, so I can't compare. But these are great headphones.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #884 of 6,345
Quote:
Dude. That was creepy. I just came here to ask the same question... From pictures, I can't tell. 

I'm trying to get info from AKG on what the difference between these 2 headphones are and have not gotten any useful information.  The parts guy doesn't know because he hasn't gotten a parts list for the K712 yet and I haven't heard anything back from the other guy, but to be fair I just emailed him today. I just wonder if the only real difference is something like less tolerance in the driver matching or something?  In favor of the 65th Anniversary and then the new K712 Pro is more of an everyday version of the same headphone just not as "tweeked"? 

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #885 of 6,345
Quote:
I'm trying to get info from AKG on what the difference between these 2 headphones are and have not gotten any useful information.  The parts guy doesn't know because he hasn't gotten a parts list for the K712 yet and I haven't heard anything back from the other guy, but to be fair I just emailed him today. I just wonder if the only real difference is something like less tolerance in the driver matching or something?  In favor of the 65th Anniversary and then the new K712 Pro is more of an everyday version of the same headphone just not as "tweeked"? 

I have the same questions! I got an email out to AKG a couple days ago but who knows if I will hear back. There is no parts listed anywhere for the K712! I wonder if there is any real difference at well. I wonder if they were worried about the K712 sabotaging K702 65th sales or something; kind of like a "Dealer. We got your backs kind of thing." But what a weird company! I'd like if the K712 was between the K702 and K702 65th. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back