The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #751 of 6,345
Yes, because no one bid any more. If someone bid $190, his bid would then be $200, all the way until it reaches his max bid of $300 (theoritically speaking). Your max bid is not what you will bid.

If you bid for an item say: $90, and that is the max total of the bid you placed, and I bid $400 (in the Ebay system), my actual bid shown will be $95-100.

It will never make you pay more than needed to beat the current high bid. So you should bid whatever you feel comfortable paying at MOST for. At least near the end of the auction.

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #752 of 6,345
Quote:

Oh come on....lets not go over the top here. Even though someone might prefer the K501 sound signature, saying its a better headphones is ridiculous...they're not even in the same league. It's like comparing a Sennheiser HD595 to a HD650...

OK. I think you got it all wrong actually. Have you ever compared these two headphones side by side? It's more like comparing k701 to a Q701 or HD650 to HD600. What is ridiculous is you coming out of the blue calling my experienced opinions rediculous. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #753 of 6,345
Quote:
What is ridiculous is you coming out of the blue calling my experienced opinions rediculous. 

Everyone of us have different experience with various sources, headphones and genres, and I believe there isn't a single one between them which would be "the true and only". Everyone results may vary in different ways and because of different tastes, no matter how much experience we have.

Unfortunately K501 is the model I could not listen to this day and therefore I can't tell which one of you is wrong. Maybe if I spot it in my country I would consider buying it, even just for fun.

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #754 of 6,345
if i remember correctly, K702 doesn't sounds the same as Q701,
therefore the statement that K702.65 sounds exactly the same as K702/Q701 "SHOULD" be false.

although i am not 100% sure but i recall Q701 is "modded" based on K702, 
and K702.65 (or K712) is Q701 + new pads with +3 db bass boost

therefore K702 =/= Q701 =/= K702.65/K712

again i might be totally wrong

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #755 of 6,345
Quote:

Everyone of us have different experience with various sources, headphones and genres, and I believe there isn't a single one between them which would be "the true and only". Everyone results may vary in different ways and because of different tastes, no matter how much experience we have.

Unfortunately K501 is the model I could not listen to this day and therefore I can't tell which one of you is wrong. Maybe if I spot it in my country I would consider buying it, even just for fun.

Isn't this a contradiction?

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #756 of 6,345
Quote:
if i remember correctly, K702 doesn't sounds the same as Q701,
therefore the statement that K702.65 sounds exactly the same as K702/Q701 "SHOULD" be false.

although i am not 100% sure but i recall Q701 is "modded" based on K702, 
and K702.65 (or K712) is Q701 + new pads with +3 db bass boost

therefore K702 =/= Q701 =/= K702.65/K712

again i might be totally wrong

Some have compared the K702 and Q701 and found them to sound the same, while some (like me) have compared them and found them two be different.  So there has been some variation and changes to the K702 over time, but we don't know for sure which ones sound like what, etc.  It's a mess.

Also, the new pads are not JUST a +3 dB bass boost.  The entire sound spectrum is shifted towards being warmer, and the +3 dB bass is just part of that.

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #757 of 6,345
Quote:

Some have compared the K702 and Q701 and found them to sound the same, while some (like me) have compared them and found them two be different.  So there has been some variation and changes to the K702 over time, but we don't know for sure which ones sound like what, etc.  It's a mess.

Also, the new pads are not JUST a +3 dB bass boost.  The entire sound spectrum is shifted towards being warmer, and the +3 dB bass is just part of that.

thanks for the clarifications,
that's basically what i meant,
I agree that the new pad is not just a bass boost,
because in theory when you enhance low frequency you "mind" usually also consider it being "warmer" too, this is all about relativity.

now about the sound difference between K702 and Q701,
I think its very likely that the new K702 might be the same as Q701,
also meaning that the old K702 is not,
because after all Q701 was modded based on K702

I replied to the thread because i saw some one saying they are all the same and personally i disagree with that statement.

however, sound wise, 
its probably true that K702.65/K712 is the same as Q701 with new pads

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #759 of 6,345
Quote:
I agree that the new pad is not just a bass boost,
because in theory when you enhance low frequency you "mind" usually also consider it being "warmer" too, this is all about relativity.

now about the sound difference between K702 and Q701,
I think its very likely that the new K702 might be the same as Q701,
also meaning that the old K702 is not.

Well, I really mean the entire spectrum is shifted.  When you compare just treble whichever headphone has the memory foam pads is clearly darker and less airy sounding, regardless of whether or not there is any bass happening.

That may be true about the old K702s and new K702s.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #760 of 6,345
All of this discussion about sound variations between K models, Q models, and even between old and new. . .I'll just say this (mainly pertaining to new/old debate). . .obviously there can be variations in sonic signatures, from one production batch to the next, there will always be manufacturing variations.  This will obviously affect the sound coming from pair A to pair B headphones.  The differences should be minute, obviously depending on whatever their quality control standards are, and while all headphones they ship out are more than likely within technical tolerances, if pair A happened to be at one end of the tolerance spectrum while pair B were at the opposite. . .well then the differences when comparing will be greater.  I imagine this, along with other manufacturing variations (hopefully also within tolerances), can add up to create difference sonic signatures even among similar lined products.  It's like a tolerance stack up, if you will.

One personal example I can share pertaining to my reasoning would be this:
My K701's seemed to have an imbalance between the R and L channels when I initially received the pair.  Now the engineer in me had to rule out all possible factors and see if I could determine the root cause.  After hours and messing around, and thinking I had exhausted all possible causes, I was just left sitting there staring at them resting on my computer desk.  Then, almost chuckling, I thought, "well, I've not tried swapping ear pads between L and R."  Sure enough, it was some sort of variation in the thickness/density of the mesh material in the middle of the pads.  I contacted AKG and explained the situation, which they promptly, and quite generously I might add, sent me a replacement pair of ear pads.  After receiving them I tested them, and ironically they ALSO created a variation in perceivable volume between L and R channels.  Luckily mix-matching the two pairs of pads resulted in two sonically matched sets.  Also, as a side note. . .it turned out to not simply be a volume difference, each set of pads actually "tweaked" the frequency response slightly (which is what made it sound like a volume discrepancy with a mismatched set of pads).  One set of pads actually created slightly softer highs and slightly more low mids.  It was, however, more than enough for myself and two other friends of mine to hear it immediately between the two sets of (now) matched pads.  The two friends were oblivious to the fact that the sets of pads had any sonic variations prior to them testing, but both pointed it out.

Anyways. . .manufacturing variances are always there, it all depends on tolerances and matching. . .which inevitably creates variations among similar production models.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #761 of 6,345
Quote:
All of this discussion about sound variations between K models, Q models, and even between old and new. . .I'll just say this (mainly pertaining to new/old debate). . .obviously there can be variations in sonic signatures, from one production batch to the next, there will always be manufacturing variations.  This will obviously affect the sound coming from pair A to pair B headphones.  The differences should be minute, obviously depending on whatever their quality control standards are, and while all headphones they ship out are more than likely within technical tolerances, if pair A happened to be at one end of the tolerance spectrum while pair B were at the opposite. . .well then the differences when comparing will be greater.  I imagine this, along with other manufacturing variations (hopefully also within tolerances), can add up to create difference sonic signatures even among similar lined products.  It's like a tolerance stack up, if you will.

One personal example I can share pertaining to my reasoning would be this:
My K701's seemed to have an imbalance between the R and L channels when I initially received the pair.  Now the engineer in me had to rule out all possible factors and see if I could determine the root cause.  After hours and messing around, and thinking I had exhausted all possible causes, I was just left sitting there staring at them resting on my computer desk.  Then, almost chuckling, I thought, "well, I've not tried swapping ear pads between L and R."  Sure enough, it was some sort of variation in the thickness/density of the mesh material in the middle of the pads.  I contacted AKG and explained the situation, which they promptly, and quite generously I might add, sent me a replacement pair of ear pads.  After receiving them I tested them, and ironically they ALSO created a variation in perceivable volume between L and R channels.  Luckily mix-matching the two pairs of pads resulted in two sonically matched sets.  Also, as a side note. . .it turned out to not simply be a volume difference, each set of pads actually "tweaked" the frequency response slightly (which is what made it sound like a volume discrepancy with a mismatched set of pads).  One set of pads actually created slightly softer highs and slightly more low mids.  It was, however, more than enough for myself and two other friends of mine to hear it immediately between the two sets of (now) matched pads.  The two friends were oblivious to the fact that the sets of pads had any sonic variations prior to them testing, but both pointed it out.

Anyways. . .manufacturing variances are always there, it all depends on tolerances and matching. . .which inevitably creates variations among similar production models.

about variations among the same line of drivers... 
I think this is where quality control comes in to the discussion.

I purchased a K702.65 last month from and the L & R chennels have different loudness level.
I am a experienced music producer and i noticed it right away.
however, if i keep using the headphones, 
the "mind" game will take effect and the imbalance will go away soon in about 5-10 minutes.
to be sure, just listen to the headphones with the opposite side and see if you have a headache. (R<->L)
this is clearly defected and no material can cause this kind of loudness difference.

I exchanged it with a new set and this time its perfect.

again, lets not go that far about differences with the same line of drivers.
because if i were you, i will consider my headphones defected

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #762 of 6,345
Quote:

Well, I really mean the entire spectrum is shifted.  When you compare just treble whichever headphone has the memory foam pads is clearly darker and less airy sounding, regardless of whether or not there is any bass happening.

That may be true about the old K702s and new K702s.

you are probably 100% right.
personally I only have K702.65, so I can't compare with Q701 or K702.

but I think K702.65 is slightly on the "warm" side,
while I was afraid it will be too sharp when i read all the Q701/K702 reviews before my purchase.
so you are right, i don't think that 3db bass can change a mostly reviewed as sharp phones into the slightly warm phones that I am using right now.

still a very very balanced headphone

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #763 of 6,345
Quote:
Are you talking about the beginning of the 2000s? k501 has always been a headphone regarded and appreciated for the same qualities that we talk about today. It was appreciated before k70x era and it became even more appreciated during the k70x era because of the disappointment many people feltwhen k701 came. k501 is even today regarded as a better headphone than k70x by many people. I like k701 but I like k501 better. Many people feel so and that only is a good indicator of how good that headphone actually is. k501 is a more honest headphone with "truer" sound. But hey, this is k712 thread. 

Truer? FR says otherwise

Also, I'm still not sure where you are getting your information about the K701 vs K501. I dug up and old review I remember carefully reading at the time I was purchasing a pair of K701. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/213146/three-way-review-k501-vs-k601-vs-k701

There was no contest here. If this were like a real match-up, the K501 would be like Little Red Riding Hood scurrying away from the big bad K701 wolf. The K701 was simply better than the K501 in every single way possible - WAY better. There was no need to even critically listen for differences.

Oh that's not to say the K501 is miserable against the K701. It just sounds like a cheaper headphone against the might that is the K701. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #764 of 6,345
Jun 25, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #765 of 6,345
Quote:

I would not rely on Asr's reviews for any headphone product as they are a poor example as of that. His impressions are always a complete opposite of a wide range of other user's feel/experience about a particular product, read his other reviews for any of the headphones he has tried, it's like an odd duckling out of the group, he also says his TH900 is closer to the sound of the SR-009 than anything else, yes everyone has different subjective but that is complete bs because I've heard both and a wide range of other stuff and the TH900 is anything but neutral or airy sounding for that matter, I would not be alone for others that have heard both as well.

Go figure....

Now back on this thread....

As with K501 vs K701. No bragging rights but I may be one of the few in this thread that have heard/owned all modern/pre-production AKG model's starting from the K400's up to the Annie but not the latest K 712 pro or the 612 etc. The wholeheatedly disliked the K701's when they came out and still do. But I won't rant any further because of lot of K/Q70X owners will start throwing rocks at me, K501 vs K701, I like the K501 by a large margin, K501 may not have a bigger soundstage or more clarity to it's detail retrieval but it sounds more truer to the recording than the K701 by a long shot, i.e it sounds more neutral. I'd personally call a K501 + K/Q70X a perfect headphone if both had the pro's of each other cancelling out the con's. 

As with MLE mentioning pads making a difference, damn straight they do, pads can make a night and day difference or in other words, a bigger difference to sound than amplification/cables/dac's - why? It's about fit, isolation and the material used to dampen (absorb) or reflect the sound waves as they are passed from the transducer itself to the human ears. 

You guys want a better improved K/Q70X? Rip the drivers out and housing plate, put them into a SA1/3/5k shell due to it's angled driver design, add just a bit of cotton to one side of the inside drivers that is on an angle, throw in some good amplification = voila a good sounding headphone with none of the bs mess to the fake/hollow sounding treble. You can do this on the pre-existing KQ70X housing but that'd mean you have put more work into making angled plates to the driver housing plate. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back