The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #211 of 6,345
Quote:
Well being an AKG Fanatic, I now need the K702, K701, K1000, and K712 to complete my collection. Sorry wallet

And maybe throw in a Q701 and K702 65th... You'll have pretty much the same headphone 5 whopping times! 
beerchug.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 15, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #213 of 6,345
Speaking of Q701, AKG should offer the K712 with various color accents. They can have the copper orange, green, and red. I wouldn't mind one with purple accents on it either.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 15, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #214 of 6,345
Quote:
Speaking of Q701, AKG should offer the K712 with various color accents. They can have the copper orange, green, and red. I wouldn't mind one with purple accents on it either.

You'll have to wait for the new K712HD, Q712, or K712 66th anniversary edition if you want more colors. ; )

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #219 of 6,345
Apr 18, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #220 of 6,345
Apr 22, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #221 of 6,345
Quote:
Orange? The pictures make it look more like a copper coat.

My though all the time, going through this thread. Have they updated their pics or are my colors that off on my screen, or is everyone else?

Black/copper would be really nice.
Black/orange is a favourite of mine, but perhaps not ideal on hifi-headphones.

So I do hope it's copper, like it seems to be on my screen... well perhaps I will see more confirming that later on in the thread.

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #222 of 6,345
Quote:
Some human supervision would be needed, for sure.

I complained about this topic in another thread recently. I have a few AKGs from the late '70s and early '80s and a Sennheiser from the late '80s - all mid-fi in their time - that nonetheless have absolute precision-matched drivers. I don't quite approve that today we need an expensive special edition to get what seems to have been normal on an affordable average edition decades ago.

The workforce demands more money today... You could keep moving the process to where the workforce demands the least amount of money... but on the other hand, with machinery taking over more and more tasks, why would you want to swim against the stream and try to bring back more hands on to an industrial product at these low prices.. and end up with high costs for moving facilities, and in the end conclude that there no longer is workforce that cheap anywhere on this planet (that day will come, machines will be the cheapest workforce of them all, and pay will go up, the unemployment might go up as well)

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #223 of 6,345
Quote:

Somehow I always thought that memory foam cost slightly more to produce. I think it must be "TempurPedic" fooling my brain or something. The really good memory foam mattresses are stupid expensive in most cases. Not sure what the 65th uses, but I don't think it's the same foam as a $5 memory foam pillow from Wal-Mart.

Oh and of course there's no way it'd really cost $73 to make. That's crazy! I wonder if AKG is making a lot of money off those pads. Probably not..

I wonder what the markup on a Tempur Pedic mattress is. Probably a ton. Maybe it's like the Bose and Monster of Mattresses. They have advertisements everywhere you look.

You'd think that the memory foam would make the headphone twice as comfortable but there's really not change at all. Both are comfortable.

I think my favorite pads are those of the K601, but they have less bass than K702 pads.

My cheap memoryfoam pillow that was about 25-30 dollars (well I live in sweden and it's tricky to calculate the excahngerate and the VAT and so on), is made of bits of pieces that seems to be the rest products in making other memoryfoam products... In a headphone you can't really stuff the cushions enough to get away with left over bits and pieces, so its probaly cut outs from a "solid" piece, and the left over is recycled elsewhere or ends up in the trashcan, so sure those will probably be more expensive to make than the cheapest pillows you can get.

The price is of course higher than it needs to be, cause they want people to spend that cash on a new sets to get the supposedly extra performance boost, rather then them to keep their old ones and enjoy what is probably percentually more of an improvement for just a 10er or two.

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #224 of 6,345
Quote:
You'll have to wait for the new K712HD, Q712, or K712 66th anniversary edition if you want more colors. ; )

Unless they go a different route this time, and conclude that the sound is good enough, don't need Quincy to push the sales, and instead gets a famous design company or painter to do a full sets of special edition with bonkers colors and patterns... after all never mind that K/Q are best used at home or in the studio... if they can get them exposed all over hiphop bling bling videos, that could drive sales, and to not loose their reputation of making good gear, a partner like that would make more sense than a hiphop/rnb artist or producer... (Quincy is way beyond just a hiphop/rnb producer, I was reffering to other brands).

I'm sure AKG + Porsche Design could equal to something great looking for a premium price.

Apr 27, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #225 of 6,345
A bit off topic, but it seems like AKG's reviving the older K518 and K430 - just in different colors: http://eu.akg.com/akg-products-eu/brand_akg/akg-headphones.html

It's a bit frustrating to see AKG almost going backwards in a market that's literally exploding with new products and competitors. The K712, K612, K273, K551... they're all re-hashes from what I can tell. I wonder if it really does mean that they don't really have much R&D funding from Harman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back