The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #61 of 6,345
Quote:
I don't see them doing that. The Annie came down from it's MSRP price quite quickly. It was found at $400 relatively early, and now at least one seller has been constantly selling it for $400 or less with coupons.

At $375 right now, I'm tempted on rebuying the Annie. Buying a new Q701+Annie pads will be around that $325, and that doesn't even include the headband swap, which makes all the difference to me in comfort. No one likes the bumps.

I'm sure the K712 Pro will start around $400 street price, but go down to just over $300 soon after.

Even the K701 had a high MSRP. Now all these headphones hover at the $250 range.

I know what you're saying but I bet the Q701, K701 and K702 will be discontinued. The K712 fills the void and is MSRP will be exactly what the Annie will be, but that with some careful searching, you'll find the dealer who can get them for $350 or $375, etc. But I'm a pessimist... They won't sell for less what they can charge more for. And the Annie proved what they can charge. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #62 of 6,345
Yet you're getting an inferior sound. The Q701 SHOULD be less than the Annie/K712.

imackler, I dounbt they'll discontinue the standard K701 and K702. Those are their staples.

They can always be available for a lower price than the K712 Pro, with the caveat of knowing that they'll be a bit thinner in bass, and have the dreaded bumps.

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #63 of 6,345
Quote:
Yet you're getting an inferior sound. The Q701 SHOULD be less than the Annie/K712.

imackler, I dounbt they'll discontinue the standard K701 and K702. Those are their staples.

They can always be available for a lower price than the K712 Pro, with the caveat of knowing that they'll be a bit thinner in bass, and have the dreaded bumps.

Unless they market the K612 as the staple monitor... Just speculating. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #64 of 6,345
I wanna hear the K612... I've only heard the K701, Q701, Annie out of the AKG line. All based on the same driver...

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #65 of 6,345
Quote:
I like the color, but I still think the Annie is the best color scheme.

Yes, the Anniversary 2 tone black/gun-metal gray combo is pretty slick, and the blue ring really pops.

The K712 aren't bad looking, but I'm not a huge fan of the all-black/orange scheme.  They look a little like Q701 - Halloween Edition. 
Maybe they were trying to go for AKG K1000 colors...

I'm sure we can expect a new color variations in a couple months though....
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #68 of 6,345
don't know 'bout you guys, but i'm much more excited about the renewal of the k601, i was very disappointed when they were discontinued.
it also seems they're priced relatively low, at least according to the site Blackmore posted (and hopefully price will end up being even lower than that)

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #69 of 6,345
Sorry, dont get your reply, cos, link I posted, is the only one so far with possible MSRP of K712 and was mean as information source for those who may interested.

I wouldnt call their strategy a joke, its marketing that works perfectly. They did launch K701 and we do remember how they were called back then, so, they gave you K702 in differ color and later they put new pads and headband in it and called them Anniversary, also changed the color again. Now, they put PRO in the name, change the color again and called them K712 and folks already are willing to buy them, only to make sure that they do sound differ from the previous models, so, how is that a joke? Its simply brilliant.

Quote:
Like I said. AKG pricing strategy is a joke and the company itself feels like it's doing the headphone equivalent of EA and rehashing the same model every year with minor revisions.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #70 of 6,345
I heard the K601 was warmer than the 70x. I wonder how much warmer it is over the Annie/712 Pro, since going by the Annie, is already on the warm side of neutral...

And I wonder if the new K612 will have memory foam, making them even warmer...

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #71 of 6,345
Quote:
Sorry, dont get your reply, cos, link I posted, is the only one so far with possible MSRP of K712 and was mean as information source for those who may interested.

I wouldnt call their strategy a joke, its marketing that works perfectly. They did launch K701 and we do remember how they were called back then, so, they gave you K702 in differ color and later they put new pads and headband in it and called them Anniversary, also changed the color again. Now, they put PRO in the name, change the color again and called them K712 and folks already are willing to buy them, only to make sure that they do sound differ from the previous models, so, how is that a joke? Its simply brilliant.

No one appreciates logic around these AKG releases, especially THIS kind of logic 
size]

But really, this is exactly what's happened. The other big manufacturer's released new headphones. AKG is just changing cosmetics and keeping the same old driver production going. People suddenly start lining up! Doesn't make sense to me. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #72 of 6,345
When the old driver is still this good, you can build around it. A pad swap is a legitimate way of improving a headphone's sound, so I don't see what the big deal is. Consumers should already be smart enough to know that it's not a completely new headphone at least until they change the number completely. Like K822 or something.

Look at Beyer. They released the DT770 LE which is basically a pro model of the 32ohm Premium.

Audio Technical released yet another M50 in red.

The AKG has one up on them as they actually swapped out parts that altered comfort and sound.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #73 of 6,345
Quote:

No one appreciates logic around these AKG releases, especially THIS kind of logic 
size]

But really, this is exactly what's happened. The other big manufacturer's released new headphones. AKG is just changing cosmetics and keeping the same old driver production going. People suddenly start lining up! Doesn't make sense to me. 

I want to see the old AKG again. The one that brought us the Sextett, the K340 and the K1000. I just can't get excited about another colour changed K70*. I like headphones. Not marketing strategy.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #74 of 6,345
Quote:
When the old driver is still this good, you can build around it. A pad swap is a legitimate way of improving a headphone's sound, so I don't see what the big deal is. Consumers should already be smart enough to know that it's not a completely new headphone at least until they change the number completely. Like K822 or something.

Look at Beyer. They released the DT770 LE which is basically a pro model of the 32ohm Premium.

Audio Technical released yet another M50 in red.

The AKG has one up on them as they actually swapped out parts that altered comfort and sound.

Those bumps should've been gone years and years ago.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #75 of 6,345
I 100% agree. I don't know WHAT they were thinking, especially when people have been very vocal about the bumps since the K701/702 first came to be. They couldn't have been completely oblivious to the overall worldwide complaint of the bumps.

They went from 7 bumps to 8 bumps, as if that improved anything. It shouldn't have taken them this long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back