The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #6,121 of 6,349
Nothing will happen to it, do not worry. Your headphones are not 5 years old. And Mojo has strong headphone jack.

This is example: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/r6VW5xgRfvg/maxresdefault.jpg

When you start seeing such cracks around the cable, then need change. My happend at the top near the connector plug.

You know, that is my opinion. And even if it breaks you have the other cable as backup.

There are aftermarket cables, but i don't use such, when the two factory ones brake, then i will look for another. The other guys will be more helpful with advice.

Good, good. :)
Is K712 your favorite headphone? May I ask what other headphones have you used with Mojo? Senn HD 650 if I'm not mistaken ... others too?

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #6,122 of 6,349
I am actually using the black spiral cable, the orange one is really too long and uncomfortable ... can I find an aftermarket one that is shorter than this and less heavy than the spiral one? Not too expensive and good quality ... does anyone use it?

I am using the one sole on Amazon right now as is less than 2 feet to the DAC/Amp connected to my iMAC.

Feb 17, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #6,123 of 6,349
Is K712 your favorite headphone? May I ask what other headphones have you used with Mojo? Senn HD 650 if I'm not mistaken ... others too?
My favorite headphone, yes.

I have used HD650, Focal Listen (that is this: https://www.thomann.de/it/focal_lis...iaXQiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6MiwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJpdCJ9 , since they have models from long time ago as well), Bayerdynamic DT770, V-Moda M100, Audio-Technica M50 (all these are old headphones as models. When i was in the hobby was long ago. Just i though with the K712 i found the best that is for a reasonable price and never needed to search for others. Does not meant they the best in world, just you know, sometimes you get to the point where you move to other hobby and resources go there).

What i would recommend is, there is this add-on in Usb audio player pro, Morphit. There with it you can test overall, and somewhat accurate how would other headphones sound. If you decide buy and search for other, you can kind of check how they would sound with this Add-on. I am not saying you should use it, always is best if you have music store around you, and you go and try them life. But if you can't do that, no stores near you, or other reason, this can help. Does not represent 100% accurate, but 70-80% yes. Settings: In Headphone type select AKG K712Pro and in target type you select what headphone you want to hear how sounds. And on Gain, this is little bit below, move it to -5db. Amound need to be at 100%. There are around 150 meybe, 200 headphones models you can test. But in headphones type need to be K712, not the default one, which is something like "generic headphone" written. And the gain need to be -5db because when you test different headphone types, some have more bass than K712, some have more treble, and will start distorting the sound if you don't move the gain slider to -5db.

Bit-perfect you need to disable though, as with Morphit active will not be bit-perfect anymore. Test whatever you like, and then turn off Morphit and turn on bit-perfect back on. This will help a lot if you wondering how and what will others sound like.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #6,124 of 6,349
My favorite headphone, yes.

I have used HD650, Focal Listen (that is this: https://www.thomann.de/it/focal_lis...iaXQiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6MiwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJpdCJ9 , since they have models from long time ago as well), Bayerdynamic DT770, V-Moda M100, Audio-Technica M50 (all these are old headphones as models. When i was in the hobby was long ago. Just i though with the K712 i found the best that is for a reasonable price and never needed to search for others. Does not meant they the best in world, just you know, sometimes you get to the point where you move to other hobby and resources go there).

What i would recommend is, there is this add-on in Usb audio player pro, Morphit. There with it you can test overall, and somewhat accurate how would other headphones sound. If you decide buy and search for other, you can kind of check how they would sound with this Add-on. I am not saying you should use it, always is best if you have music store around you, and you go and try them life. But if you can't do that, no stores near you, or other reason, this can help. Does not represent 100% accurate, but 70-80% yes. Settings: In Headphone type select AKG K712Pro and in target type you select what headphone you want to hear how sounds. And on Gain, this is little bit below, move it to -5db. Amound need to be at 100%. There are around 150 meybe, 200 headphones models you can test. But in headphones type need to be K712, not the default one, which is something like "generic headphone" written. And the gain need to be -5db because when you test different headphone types, some have more bass than K712, some have more treble, and will start distorting the sound if you don't move the gain slider to -5db.

Bit-perfect you need to disable though, as with Morphit active will not be bit-perfect anymore. Test whatever you like, and then turn off Morphit and turn on bit-perfect back on. This will help a lot if you wondering how and what will others sound like.
Thanks, it might be helpful before making a choice for the next headphone ... from the idea I got from reading it could be something like Senn HD 800, because I love the wide soundstage and a slightly bright signature.

Feb 23, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #6,125 of 6,349
If anyone in Europe is looking for a K712 or already has one and wants a backup, I have mine for sale. Condition 10/10 and immaculate pads.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it, it was the first full size I tried and in many things I liked it. It made me understand what signature and what characteristics the ideal headphone must have for me.

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #6,126 of 6,349
As far as the akgs go they are much more of a studio type of headphone. I have not heard the 600 in a long time. But from what I remember they sounded a bit warmish. The akgs you mentioned sound anything but warmish. They do not flatter the sound. They are more of a analytical type of sounding headphone. My old 701s(they finally died last year but only because the headband just plain fell apart after maybe something like ten years maybe?) I could only guess how many hours I put on them after all that time.
I now own the k 712s . Of course these days I am using the rogue rh-5 headphone amp to drive them and loving the rogue.

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #6,127 of 6,349
I remember back when I first caught Z’s review of the HE500. He described the headphone as being this w-shaped signature where everything felt as if it was being forced towards you...full on attack..but in a delicious way.
Now I didn’t understand what he was saying at the time...mostly because the classic Hifiman simply does not sound like that..not at all...but then again I was reminded of said review when I yet again found myself attracted to this orangy AKG. Why?
Because it sounds like everything is coming at ya’! The bass, check! The mids, check! The highs, check!
Yup everything seems boosted...yet not in an unnatural manner. The warmth of the bass very cleverly masks what could have been murderesque upper-mids shout...but it’s not. In fact..most of the aspects of this headphone’s presentation should have me running to the hills...but I absolutely adore it.
It’s like a suave and actually nice sounding Grado. Like an SR325 with warmth and elegance...and comfort!

The K712 is a weird headphone....and for some inexplicable reason it just works.
F0636F50-DB98-47D4-A628-F52981F3FC5F.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #6,129 of 6,349
I have owned a lot of different headphones during the last ten years. I consider my Stax 4170 and 3170 reference. The only headphones that survived this reference during the years are the akg k702 and the k712, both bassport modded. The akg's compliment the Stax in such a way that I can switch freely between all four headphones, without any need for "brain burn in". They all have the same "character". That doesn't mean they sound exactly the same, they are just not too different, and the quality in the akg's, as you all know, is very good.

Just a little appreciation for some fine headphones :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #6,131 of 6,349
I looked up their specs and it is hard to tell. While the website does say suitable for 16 to 300 Ohms, I think the more import spec is the headphone jack impedance. The impedance AKG 712s are approximately 70 Ohms so a head phone jack impedance of 7 Ohms or less is best. I have experimented a great deal and found them to be more sensitive to this specification than the amount of power required to drive them which seems to be a myth. I can drive them quite well on my Focusrite Scarlett Solo because of the low headphone jack impedance versus the more higher end (compared to Scarlett) Cambridge Audio Day Magic which has a headphone jack impedance roughly equal to that of the AKGs *yet* the specifications say that are suitable for nearly the same range of headphones as the Xguoo Link2. Also, if you are using a MAC and have iTunes, the internal EQ allows you to boost the signal for those songs going only through iTunes Player. Hope his helps.

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #6,132 of 6,349
I'm considering getting the K712 Pro.
I'm in Australia and the prices are around $AUD800 from retailers. Checked eBay and similar prices.

However, they're available on Amazon for just under $AUD360 plus shipping from the UK.

Anyone know why there is such a huge price difference?

Otherwise, does anyone have these and a Fiio M11? Does an M11 have enough grunt to drive them?

Will be getting an amp at some point anyway, but would be nice if I could use em when not at my desk.

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #6,133 of 6,349
I found the same when looking for the Klipsch Headphone Amplifier; a crazy price difference. If you read my previous post, pay more attention to the headphone jack impedance. I think that any desk top amp can derive them. I had he FX Audio D6 it did a great job; its output impedance is 9 Ohms (low enough).

Mar 10, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #6,134 of 6,349
Honestly there are so many headphone amps on the market these days and almost none of them relegate what the output impedance happens to be. Just goes to show that amp manufacturers look at consumers as folks who are none the wiser.
Worst thing though? In most cases they’re absolutely right.

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #6,135 of 6,349
Better late than never, I just got my first K712 Pros via Thomann today. Love them.

I used to have the K7XX which, while very good, weren't quite right for me (due to the typical criticisms of them). Then I got detoured into Hifiman (and others) trying to find a good wider soundstage headphone. Tried HE-400, HE-400i, Sundara, HE-560, and HE-5XX. Many of them sound quite good, but something was never quite right.

Should have gotten these years ago. There is a naturalness to the K712 Pro that Nice complement to my HD660S and Focal Elears for when I want a very wide presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back