The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #5,986 of 6,345
HD6 series and HD800(S) as well. K712 just don't output the sounds that provides definition or those parts in the upper-mids are not elevated enough. It's a really boring headphone in general.

That’s honestly a matter of opinion and personal experience. I’ve always found the HD 650 and especially the HD 600 more boring than the K712. Though I personally find both the Senns and AKGs have different issues for me. While I find the HD 600/650 resolving especially on nicer gear, I personally never found them as resolving as many claim they are.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #5,987 of 6,345
That’s honestly a matter of opinion. I’ve always found the HD 650 and especially the HD 600 more boring than the K712. Though I personally find both the Senns and AKGs have different issues for me. While I find the HD 600/650 resolving especially on nicer gear, I never found them as resolving as many claim they are.
Anything can be argued as matter of opinion, and things becomes pretty meaningless with that statement. I've tried K712 on various amps, and it just doesn't have the sound to consider well defined or resolving. I think of it in way to help others with my opinions because I wasted my time with this headphone, and not happy about it.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #5,988 of 6,345
Anything can be argued as matter of opinion. I've tried K712 on various amps, and it just doesn't have the sound to consider well defined or resolving.

It has admittedly been a while since I heard the K712 but I have also heard it on numerous systems. My problem with the K712 had to deal more with it’s mids not sounding quite right to me on many (but not all) systems. The Senns have always been somewhat dull listens to me regardless of system (lacking some PRaT), more of relaxed listen but always had some issues with slight fatigue due to their sound with long term listening.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #5,989 of 6,345
HD6 series and HD800(S) as well. K712 just don't output the sounds that provides definition or those parts in the upper-mids are not elevated enough. It's a really boring headphone in general.

Honestly I think that what you say sounds like utter gibberish.

"Don't output the sounds that provides definition" and "Those parts in the upper mids are not elevated enough"?

What do these two statements even mean?

Do you also mean that k712 is "boring" because of what you say in those two cryptic statements? And what do you mean by "boring"?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #5,990 of 6,345
Anything can be argued as matter of opinion, and things becomes pretty meaningless with that statement. I've tried K712 on various amps, and it just doesn't have the sound to consider well defined or resolving. I think of it in way to help others with my opinions because I wasted my time with this headphone, and not happy about it.

The HD650 is probably the most boring headphones I own. What makes your opinion more correct than mine? I think you're putting yourself in a difficult position with your statement....

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #5,991 of 6,345
The HD650 is probably the most boring headphones I own. What makes your opinion more correct than mine? I think you're putting yourself in a difficult position with your statement....

Honestly they are the most boring headphone I own as well, I actually listen to it when I don't want to be that engaged with the music. Sadly sometimes people seem to have trouble understanding how subjective this hobby can be and not every headphone sounds the same to everyone.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #5,992 of 6,345
I have many iems, earbuds and headphones and on my desk are: AKG 712 Pro, Sennheiser HD650 (with Dekoni pleather pads), Denon AHD7200, Stax L3000 & Audeze LCD X. At work I use Blon B20, Audioquest Nightowl, Grado 325e and Sennheiser HD598 CS. I Own many other things but these are my go to. Castigate them at your peril.

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #5,993 of 6,345
I just forgot my favourites are Senn HD700 Spirit Labs Twin Pulse Ragnar Edition. Although these are in boxes under my desk

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #5,994 of 6,345
Maybe the best thing to say about the K712's is that we are all talking subjective personal experiences, and no glaring deficiency, unless we want to start bench-racing specifications.

At worst, if they tweak you the wrong way, just sell them. Or gift them. Enjoy the ride.

Feb 25, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #5,996 of 6,345
K712 BURN-IN comfirmed!

I didn't want to admit it, but when I first got my 712's, the *first* thing I did was run it through a test as kind of a casual thing:

https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

So I ran the Quality check - the "Bass Shaker" to see what's up. The first few times, on different gear, straight from computer, or through an amp, at various volume levels, I heard it as it scaled up and down some distortion briefly at various points. Almost as if I had a wire vibrating inside. More of a breathy "pfft" on different notes really.

But those are just test-tones, so I listened for a week, rather than subject them to some sort of burn-in routine. Ok, cool - I'm not hearing that distortion on my music, but aware that it is capable of it. I was especially fearful of tympani rolls, but all was ok.

AFTER A WEEK of normal use, I ran the bass-shaker again. Under various hookups and original settings. CLEAN. No "pfft" - no problems. Whew!

So there - at least I had some sort of non-subjective way of noticing a difference - 'cuz I was initially sweating that maybe I got a bad pair, or sitting in a box for 7 years with no playtime might have been an issue. Wild guess: maybe the varimotion thing just needed some flexing.

Thing is, had I not done this test immediately after purchase, I would have thought AKG burn-in was a total joke. I'm a believer now - at least for this specific model, and perhaps just my specific production. Whatever, the test was reassuring.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #5,998 of 6,345
Heh, the plastic is nice enough. Once on your head, you'll never notice. Most kids laugh at us when the see us with ANY headphones on...

I've really gotten used to the weight and fit. Almost as comfortable as my favorite pair of knock-around jeans. Weird - like putting my leg into a pair, when I put the 712 on my head the feeling is strangely as familiar - I don't really think or notice it too much.

Cans are like potato chips / pants - you can't have just ONE pair right?

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #5,999 of 6,345
Heres a little testament for the k712. I've been somewhat a bit active on this thread figuring what I was listening to.

I've been producing music for a decade now as an adult, and growing up my father always gave me his used senheiser can and myself was rocking sony ear buds all the time ( big soundstage, treble for one, bass boosted for the other.) I'm a slow learner so it took me a lot of time to understand that my ears where very much accustomed to higher bass level and trebel (scooped mid, big bass blablabla). When I got my k712 3 years ago, I didnt liked them, I was so used to produce on shure 440 ( crap of the crap can). I dont think amp change the sound of the 712 to a life transforming level. Anyway, I kept using my 440 until they failed. So I started to use the k712 and listen to a lot of music trough them and now I understand. First the DA converter on my audio interface is crap, this is why I had a lot of ear fatigue but it have a good headphone amp (power wise). I was not accustomed to hear the bass at a more 'flat' level so I came here to ask why. Anyway, my crap interface does have a pass through direct to the headphone amp and monitor control if not connected to a computer, so it is driven by a digidesign 96 i/o (not the best of the best but eh) at +4dbu. The k712 are absolutely great,I made better mix with them, only on can. My neighbor hate me so I sold my studio monitor a long time ago. Next monday I'm purchasing a single avantone mixcube to mix in mono on monitor and I think the k712 and a single mixcube can make a very good combination for non amateur mix. I love my can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back