The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #5,971 of 6,345
Well, these are studio cans, they're not supposed to have a fun sound. They are meant to be revealing.

Feb 16, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #5,972 of 6,345
I wish i was trolling, lol.

Just now, a dude came into my apartment to listen to them before buying. He had a msr7. He listened to k712, and was like "meh, whatever". I've also listened to his msr7, and they were really similar to m40x, just had more bass. Obviously he didn't buy them. I guess I'm going to be stuck forever with headphones that i don't even want to listen to.

Ok. We get it. You and that dude are right and those who love k712 are morons who don't know how great headphones should sound. And yes, you were trolling and you still are. Do you know why I think that? You didn't come to this thread to humbly ask for advice. You came here to tell k712-lovers that they are all idiots who listen to their crappy headphones.

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #5,974 of 6,345
I wish i was trolling, lol.

Just now, a dude came into my apartment to listen to them before buying. He had a msr7. He listened to k712, and was like "meh, whatever". I've also listened to his msr7, and they were really similar to m40x, just had more bass. Obviously he didn't buy them. I guess I'm going to be stuck forever with headphones that i don't even want to listen to.

If you're not going to power them properly then that will be the case, yes.

Feb 16, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #5,975 of 6,345
Not gonna lie. I'm not a fan of the stock pad fitment. Yeah, they're somewhat soft but for my narrow head the memory doesn't soak up enough to really seal well enough for me to fully enjoy them on my head.

So I ordered these and can't wait. I adore the sound of the K712 but to me the fit is a bit off and cheers to trying new things. Thankfully these are available. One and only Christmas gift I've bought for myself this year.

*stoked.
418mI%2BdSY-L._AC_.jpg

I bought these to see what they were like.
I think they make treble sound dull and do not improve the bass at all.
Also too shallow for my ears so my ears hit off the driver.

They are now up on ebay in Europe if anyone else wants to give them a go.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #5,976 of 6,345
Could I get some advice re: 712 Pro vs. 7XX? - from reading the 400 pages in the thread... well there seems to be no consensus... some call the 712 Pro bass light and revealing while stating the 7XX are warmer - while other forum members praise the 712 Pro bass performance. From the research I have done, it looks like both feature the 3db bump in the bass zone - Could it be said they are roughly equivalent - well, I know many will say no, but looking for maybe some confirmation that they are close, as their specs suggest?

Thanks so much

v

Feb 22, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #5,977 of 6,345
Could I get some advice re: 712 Pro vs. 7XX? - from reading the 400 pages in the thread... well there seems to be no consensus... some call the 712 Pro bass light and revealing while stating the 7XX are warmer - while other forum members praise the 712 Pro bass performance. From the research I have done, it looks like both feature the 3db bump in the bass zone - Could it be said they are roughly equivalent - well, I know many will say no, but looking for maybe some confirmation that they are close, as their specs suggest?

Thanks so much

v
Hello, from my experience with the K712 Pro their great at Mixing & Mastering Music, they have a flatter frequency response for referencing perfect for me, I can also hear so much Detail and they do have the 3db. I'm sorry that I don't have any experience with the 7XX so I can't help there. I was looking for a great referencing Headphone whereas many others emphasize frequency and are better for easy listening, Good luck!

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #5,978 of 6,345
Hello I’m new to the forum and I was looking for conversations about the AKG K712 Pro headphones. I’ve been a long time AKG user and just love them, although I’ve own/used other brands AKG has been my favorite. I find the K712 to be great with “detail”, recently going over a current recording project and I noticed with my K240 MKII had missed? Some can be subtle like a click for drums or a fade-in from an edited track.

Not surprising. As a K240s owner, and now K712 owner you aren't (are!) hearing things the K240 misses. What you are noticing - other than FR, is the lack of the K240's "groove", which means it suppresses high-energy leading edge impulses, like shotguns going off, hard rock drummers hammering cymbals instead of side-swiping them jazz style, hard triangle / cowbell hits, and a little bit of grain-dithering of the treble. Mostly to protect your hearing, or not desensitize you for long sessions. Day after day. So that means they aren't audiophile quality, but serve a different purpose. Fun to listen to once you know what's going on so you aren't left scratching your head. :) That sssshhhh kind of sound just in the background of the treble at times.

The 712's are mostly musical, but not entirely without a little bit of fun eq. Basically in the same ballpark as the Sennheiser HD-650 according to some others, although of course slightly different. So not entirely neutral like I suppose the HD600's are, but yeah if you are careful I suppose you could mix and master.

I keep both cans around for different purposes.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #5,979 of 6,345
Not surprising. As a K240s owner, and now K712 owner you aren't (are!) hearing things the K240 misses. What you are noticing - other than FR, is the lack of the K240's "groove", which means it suppresses high-energy leading edge impulses, like shotguns going off, hard rock drummers hammering cymbals instead of side-swiping them jazz style, hard triangle / cowbell hits, and a little bit of grain-dithering of the treble. Mostly to protect your hearing, or not desensitize you for long sessions. Day after day. So that means they aren't audiophile quality, but serve a different purpose. Fun to listen to once you know what's going on so you aren't left scratching your head. :) That sssshhhh kind of sound just in the background of the treble at times.

The 712's are mostly musical, but not entirely without a little bit of fun eq. Basically in the same ballpark as the Sennheiser HD-650 according to some others, although of course slightly different. So not entirely neutral like I suppose the HD600's are, but yeah if you are careful I suppose you could mix and master.

I keep both cans around for different purposes.
Possibly over the years some of my high frequency hearing has diminished, I can only go from my experience with the K712, just after mixing a song and noticing artifacts and little clicks here and there that I quickly edited out, cleaning the mix. I didn’t like the HD600 at all for mixing! But then I’m only going from 40yrs in the recording industry and Headphones along with Nearfield monitors and Mains as tools for a professional Mix & Master and my experience with over a hundred pair of headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #5,980 of 6,345
Fwiw I found the HD650 and K712 to be extremely different sounding from each other, I really enjoyed the K712 (but not as much as the Q701's) and don't care much for the HD650 so as always YMMV.....

Feb 23, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #5,981 of 6,345
Well, these are studio cans, they're not supposed to have a fun sound. They are meant to be revealing.
They aren't really all that revealing. There are sounds I notice missing on these headphones. The upoer-mids are blunted and the bass reaponse is lacking due to the large cups. I would say the large room inside the cups cause a bit of an unfocused diffuse sound.

Sennheisers are more revealing.

Being a studio can doesn't mean a thing. There's various types used for studio, and a lot of crappy closed-backs. Usually closed because it's used by performers, and high fidelity is not necessary. They are mixing with studio monitors, not K712.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #5,982 of 6,345
With the K712 I feel that all sounds are suspended in air and instrumentation is seperated well enough to pinpoint where they are coming from and the detail of each. One thing I will mention, though, is that they play very differently with how they are being amplified and the signal path overall. The sound I get from playing the K712 through an Denon AVR headphone output is VERY different from playing through my desktop PC.

Feb 23, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #5,983 of 6,345
Hello, from my experience with the K712 Pro their great at Mixing & Mastering Music, they have a flatter frequency response for referencing perfect for me, I can also hear so much Detail and they do have the 3db. I'm sorry that I don't have any experience with the 7XX so I can't help there. I was looking for a great referencing Headphone whereas many others emphasize frequency and are better for easy listening, Good luck!

Thanks for the reply - well - Just noticed the links to the Thomann site. Yowsa - At $500 ($499) in the USA - AKG, BH, Guitar Center, others list it at that price - is a purchase that merits research and asking questions - after finding the 712 Pro at Thomann at the same price that the 7XX, that makes it an impulse buy! So went ahead and went for them. Will report back once I got them, but frankly in 3+ year old thread not sure I will be able to contribute much.

I do not understand the price difference. I saw one reviewer on Youtube complaining about how much plastic was there on a $450 (seems like the price has actually gone up!) pair of headphones . And yes, it was strange. But guess now that is the answer - is not a $450 (or $499) pair of headphones, is a $200 pair of headphones - now that make sense.

thnx!

v

Feb 24, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #5,984 of 6,345
They aren't really all that revealing. There are sounds I notice missing on these headphones. The upoer-mids are blunted and the bass reaponse is lacking due to the large cups. I would say the large room inside the cups cause a bit of an unfocused diffuse sound.
There will always be "missing sounds" when comparing two sets of headphones. In both directions. It simply depends on what sounds you focus on.

Sennheisers are more revealing.

Which Sennheisers? I have HD650 here to directly compare. I cannot hear that HD650s are more revealing or having better focus than my k712. Prior to buying k712 I compared them to HD600 and HD600 weren't more "revealing" than k712.

Feb 24, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #5,985 of 6,345
There will always be "missing sounds" when comparing two sets of headphones. In both directions. It simply depends on what sounds you focus on.

Which Sennheisers? I have HD650 here to directly compare. I cannot hear that HD650s are more revealing or having better focus than my k712. Prior to buying k712 I compared them to HD600 and HD600 weren't more "revealing" than k712.
HD6 series and HD800(S) as well. K712 just don't output the sounds that provides definition or those parts in the upper-mids are not elevated enough. It's a really boring headphone in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back