The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #5,926 of 6,345
I can now hear the potential from where these headphones are ment to be heard. Its like they were ment to be this way. Why they werent already balanced is probably a common consumer type thing.

This is a real treat tho. Theyre loudspeakers now lol.

We're balanced now :)

Thank you robrinette and the other K712 users out there with helpful info. I'm blessed.
1129191632_HDR.jpg

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #5,928 of 6,345
First impressions are,

-More clearly defined instruments. It's as if there is a clear separation of all sound across the spectrum.
-Bass extension is much tighter. Before, I felt the K712 was thin and mostly treble-heavy and it is that way. The K712 does lean more towards treble but now the presentation seems much more balanced with bass being more present.
-Treble region is more clear. High notes are sounding more crystalline and delicate. I like it.

For the experiment I'm using the THX 789, with single-ended and now balanced. But, how much of this attributes to having MUCH more power through balanced configuration? The current delivery now from the THX 789 is staggering VS the SE output of the 789. This is my first experience with balanced headphones so I can't call it. Perhaps others can chime in with their balanced headphones?

I still have 6' of orange Canare cable so I'll be making a mini 4pin XLR to 1/4" TRS cable so that I'll be able to hot swap between balanced and SE of the 789. Should be fun :]

Hope this helps anyone looking to build their balanced cable and mod their K712.

Dec 16, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #5,929 of 6,345
Ok. Update.

I had some 20 awg solid core silver wire from my bottlehead crack build and I ended up, SOMEHOW managed to squeeze it inside of the K712 cup, replacing all of the tiny stranded stock wire.

Bottom line: If you don't want to go balanced, at least replace the wire. Try it at least if you have a hand for soldering.

Holy crap. The sound change is not subtle. The midrange and bottom up have now come up to match a more tame and crisp high end. What the f- LOL This is crazy....

Take your K712 to the next level.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #5,930 of 6,345
What would be a clear upgrade to the AKG 712? I've tried my 712:s with different gear and like them quite a lot. I now use them with a Schiit Asgard 3 with MB-card and ROON with a DSP Convolution filter (Harmans target response curve). They don't sound quite right to me without DSP in this setup though, especially in the mids.

I feel like trying something new, but I do not want spend money and just make a sidestep. Any suggestions?

Dec 20, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #5,932 of 6,345
Well, I've never found one. And that's despite spending well 1.4k on Focal Clear's. They sound different sure, but I'm struggling to say 'better'. Nothing I've tried matches the effortlessly lifelike vocals and spacious soundstage.

Very interesting. Do you use EQ with your K712 to? How would you describe the differences in sound signature to your Clear? Thinking of maybe getting the Sennheiser HD 660S, Beyerdynamic DT 1990, Hifiman Sundara (but I then want to gain something in sound-quality).

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #5,935 of 6,345
No, I've never used EQ for anything (headphones or speakers). I know it works for some folk, but I feel that planting another 2 sets of interconnects and a box of electronics (or a bunch of software jiggerypokery) between my brain and the 1's and 0's is hard to justify- I would think that a good part of the required EQ'ing would just be to correct the presence of the EQ hard/software. Perhaps I could be convinced one-day but having used an EQ app (wasn't impressed), my belief is that it's better to get the sound you want by choosing the right headphone in the first place, rather than trying to change the basic character of a headphone. I realise however that, that is easier said than done these days- not many places to demo headphones.
Sound signature-wise, I'd say the focals are fuller sounding, but I find the textures of the bass are less well differentiated than the AKG's. I wouldn't go as far as to say the focals have a one-note bass, but the AKG's for me just sound more interesting in the bass dept. I feel that the AKG's go deeper/lower. Mid range is good but more 'in your head' than the AKG's which for me, place the vocalist back a bit- out in front, almost speaker-like. The Focal's are more immediate. Focals are not as bright as the AKG's, so if you find that too much, the focals are definitely smoother at the high-end, though I don't perceive any loss of detail because of the smoothness. As mentioned, the focals may in fact be more accurate with regards to soundstage, but for me I find it little too closed-in. I'm used to the wide-open soundstage of the AKG's which i prefer, regardless of whether the music should sound that way or not!

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #5,936 of 6,345
What would be a clear upgrade to the AKG 712? I've tried my 712:s with different gear and like them quite a lot. I now use them with a Schiit Asgard 3 with MB-card and ROON with a DSP Convolution filter (Harmans target response curve). They don't sound quite right to me without DSP in this setup though, especially in the mids.

I feel like trying something new, but I do not want spend money and just make a sidestep. Any suggestions?

If you're into soldering and getting your hands in there, I suggest at the very least, to check the soldering work done of the internal wiring of the K712. Very easy to get to, and you will notice how thin of wiring that comes with the K712. I believe it is 24 or 26AWG.

And if you're willing, get down to work and replace it. Wire is very cheap, and from experience I can tell you that using 20AWG solid core has brought IMO way more benefit to sound quality than the balanced cable mod. With that said, you must be careful with the diaphragm soldering posts. They are glued in, but because of the solid core I used, I accidentally twisted the solid core wire during installation and broke the glue that secures the diaphragm post, ruining it. To fix this, I loaded the post with solder to try and weld the coil wire back onto the post. It worked, I'm using my K712 now but I know that I'll be buying new diaphragms.

In my experience, compared to the HD600, the K712 have a brighter presentation and sound more detail because of this, but when you go balanced and replace the wiring to something more substantial, the K712 rock the stock HD600 out of the park.

*Just another note. The process of taking the diaphragm out is very easy so long as you're comfortable and familiar with soldering and have a legit range of small screwdriver.

Dec 27, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #5,939 of 6,345
Not gonna lie. I'm not a fan of the stock pad fitment. Yeah, they're somewhat soft but for my narrow head the memory doesn't soak up enough to really seal well enough for me to fully enjoy them on my head.

So I ordered these and can't wait. I adore the sound of the K712 but to me the fit is a bit off and cheers to trying new things. Thankfully these are available. One and only Christmas gift I've bought for myself this year.

*stoked.
418mI%2BdSY-L._AC_.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back