The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #5,881 of 6,349
Thats an awful lot of incorrect assumptions you just made about what I like and don't like..
And I see now what this is and i don't feel like explaining myself over and over in here. You're also lying about what I'm saying.
Never did I swear 8 ohm was the perfect ohm never did i say anyone's amp were garbage, you're intentionally misinterpreting what I'm saying in here.
"There's nothing subjective about the fact that they sound horrible, half decent, or excellent, depending on power delivery to the can.

It's not subjective that they sound almost Mono with bass cut at 60 Hz from the Ur22. With shrill and sibilant 6 and 12k.

Also not subjective that the dragonfly red only can drive them to 39% of the volume before distortion happens. (also with sub missing)
Also not subjective that they need 2-16 ohm output stage. And also not subjective that volume wise (mw) they aren't hard to get loud..

So with all those facts I'm not sure why dealux is so stubborn :)"

I can go pick more too, where you said that <<2 ohm output impedance is bad with K712. You say they NEED 2-16 ohms of output impedance and that DFR can't drive them to 39% volume before distorting. What 39% volume are we talking about here. 39% of the max the K712 is capable of or 39% of the maximum output of DFR? If I use windows audio, I can usually go to 12-16 steps out of 100 for adequate volume, and anything above 20 is too much. From Tidal with exclusive mode for DFR, meaning I get bit perfect audio signal for the DFR, I can not turn the volume anything past 7-8% or my ears will blow up, and yet I can't hear any noticeable distortion. I can even go and push the volume to 50% and make these a pair of speakers without any noticeable distortion. Either you've had broken hardware or insufficient software solutions, I still can't see any real world evidence of your claims turning out to be true.

Oct 9, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #5,882 of 6,349
Yes, 39% in Windows on the dfr then they distort.
So OK I get it now.. So because your findings are different than mine, I cannot express mine in this thread? Also I don't believe you what so ever that you cant go past 12% in tidal or 20% in Windows. Ludicrous. Ofc you can it's all about how long you've listen and how drunk you are.

And no the hardware isn't broken smfh

Furthermore you actually think they sound good from the dfr??

I also have much better things to do than chatting with strangers about my post history. Especially since your sole motive is to somehow try to miniscule everything I've said as less valid or important than what anyone else say.. Find something better to do with your time.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #5,883 of 6,349
Yes, 39% in Windows on the dfr then they distort.
So OK I get it now.. So because your findings are different than mine, I cannot express mine in this thread? Also I don't believe you what so ever that you cant go past 12% in tidal or 20% in Windows. Ludicrous. Ofc you can it's all about how long you've listen and how drunk you are.

And no the hardware isn't broken smfh

Furthermore you actually think they sound good from the dfr??

I also have much better things to do than chatting with strangers about my post history. Especially since your sole motive is to somehow try to miniscule everything I've said as less valid or important than what anyone else say.. Find something better to do with your time.
Sure you can express your OPINIONS, but remember, you should not claim your opinions to be facts, as they're not. What part of "not subjective" do you not comprehend? You never said that those are purely your own opinions, but instead you're telling people it's not subjective that DFR past 39% distorts and they need 2-16 ohms of output impedance. I am not misinterpreting what you've said, I am not lying about what you've said and I don't do assumptions based on your messages. I simply read them and comprehend them as they are, I don't feel the need of assuming anything outside of what you've said.

I don't like too loud music even while I'm drunk, and for comfortable listening past 12% is absolutely out of the case with the DFR and K712.

And furthermore, yes I actually like the headphones. I have zero issues with lack of bass as you may call it, nor am I having any issues with excessive highs. Sure they're pretty bright with DFR, but I've never found that to be an issue. Compared to my DT-770's these are a lot more enjoyable to listen to. The instrument separation is totally different level on the AKG, of course there is heftier sub-bass on the Beyers, but that's to be expected from a closed pair.

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #5,885 of 6,349
How are you guys hanging your K712's when not in use? From the headband? (Which might stretch it over time). Or from the two orange suspension arms? (Which might cause excess strain on the wires connecting the headband to the earcups which might cause a driver to cut-out).

Has anyone who hangs the K712 from the two orange suspension arms experienced drivers cutting out because the internal wiring to the drivers snapped?

Oct 9, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #5,888 of 6,349
I bought a 3rd party hard case for mine and they now sit in a nice velvety-lined case when not in use. I used to hang them from the strap, then after reading some advice-probably on here- from the orange band. A year or so after purchase I lost the left channel and had to return them for repair. Whether this was related to the fault, I do not know.

Oct 10, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #5,892 of 6,349
Hi happy AKG K712Pro users, I want to address a different issue that I saw few days ago in a review. I think in this very site.

The reviewer assessed the treble as 'slow'. I doesn't understand how it can be. I will try to explain my confusion:

I only do digital but I have a good memory/exposure in the long past about good vinyl. I also have experience through ownership of different models along the years that have problems in the treble when the program, the software, the material is complex. If it pushes things by a busy soundscape in the upper region then some of them make more noise than music, similar in fact to white noise.

I also regarded this model as an outstanding 'renderer' of brass instruments, trumpets, wind metal in general. I'm talking about the 'tone colour' or timbre. For a trumpet or a horn that means to show the high pitch plus the resonances and overtones up and down.

I tried lately to understand and keep myself educated in Bruckner symphonies. I found a copy of the 7th with Karajan from 1971, remastered by EMI to a high standard with the original tonmeister, the sound engineer that did the original vinyl master.

At the end of the 2nd movement in one of those crescendos with tutti orchestra, up and up in sound pressure and more and more instruments, a horn takes the lead up and above the busy landscape. And it sounds wonderful, repeating the melody whilst the full team is playing like crazy around. And you can hear everything. There is no glitches, no noise, no doubts. If the treble is not fast, and I mean really really fast, how can it be?

More feedback:

I have two problems that appears from time to time: greyness and, unrelated to the former, a flattening of the tempo. The first issue can be related to the amp. I'm almost sure of it. I'm looking for expression, for prosody of the musical passage (the patterns of stress and intonation). If I can't retrieve it and the music is dull but I know it is in the music, record and interpretation then I have to assume something is wrong in my playback chain. Sometimes it is the electricity or some other problem with machinery working at home. So I prefer to listen in the night. But at the moment I can't address this issue: if I need a new amplifier I want something like an ECP DSHA... or it won't be a real upgrade. So I have to wait.

The funny bit and very complex for me is the effect, psychological maybe, of 'flattening the tempo'. Could be because it is a monitor of sounds not music, because it puts forward everything to the same level of consciousness so your mind has to address and discard so many unmusical sounds, I don't know. I notice that in a few recordings, romantic takes and music with outstanding interpreters that do their job by stretching, delaying or pushing the bow or a key press longer, harder or slightly shorter or softer along the whole composition to express more emotion, the music is less dramatic, less 'virtuosistic', and more plain in general. All the music is simpler by a degree. The fast response to any change in pitch and the quick anticipation pays off wonderfully in any music from the 20th century onward though. And also some noisy and spectacular Mahler, for example.

It is not a problem with older recordings where some noise and softness is all around in the music. But a modern, digital, clean, pitch black background, detailed recording, it is a problem: the simplification, the detachment. And it is at the same time showing full colours, sounds with soul and beauty in the deep core of the music. Examples of modern compositions like Per Norgard 3rd by Segerstam on CD is an incredible experience (and it will be the same with any modern neutral full range, super nice treble headphones).

Maybe what I'm describing is not a problem in the headphones but a cold SS amp showing what it is inside and what it can't do (Lehmann Audio Linear at 0db gain, the other two settings increase distortion). Am I looking for tubes maybe? This effect didn't happen, at all, with my K501, or with my DT770-250.

In the meantime I just enroll in my small collection of gear a Beyer DT1990. It is few days old and mostly shouty and a bit dark. But very neutral and with a surprisingly good tone with violin. I just bought a Sibelius Concerto to test it in full... And I want to test my amp and the 'flattening the tempo' effect further.

How nobody had liked this post before me is beyond me.

Oct 12, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #5,893 of 6,349
How nobody had liked this post before me is beyond me.

It's too long and thoughtful? :) No, but seriously, attention spans can be pretty short these days.

I was a little confused by his main point was, though, honestly... he goes through a lot to say (I think?) that he hears some problem in the K712 Pro that he doesn't hear with the K501 or his DT770-250, but he says that right after musing that the problem "is not a problem in the headphones", so I wasn't sure what to make of that.

Oct 20, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #5,894 of 6,349
Hi happy AKG K712Pro users, I want to address a different issue that I saw few days ago in a review. I think in this very site.

The reviewer assessed the treble as 'slow'. I doesn't understand how it can be. I will try to explain my confusion:

I only do digital but I have a good memory/exposure in the long past about good vinyl. I also have experience through ownership of different models along the years that have problems in the treble when the program, the software, the material is complex. If it pushes things by a busy soundscape in the upper region then some of them make more noise than music, similar in fact to white noise.

I also regarded this model as an outstanding 'renderer' of brass instruments, trumpets, wind metal in general. I'm talking about the 'tone colour' or timbre. For a trumpet or a horn that means to show the high pitch plus the resonances and overtones up and down.

I tried lately to understand and keep myself educated in Bruckner symphonies. I found a copy of the 7th with Karajan from 1971, remastered by EMI to a high standard with the original tonmeister, the sound engineer that did the original vinyl master.

At the end of the 2nd movement in one of those crescendos with tutti orchestra, up and up in sound pressure and more and more instruments, a horn takes the lead up and above the busy landscape. And it sounds wonderful, repeating the melody whilst the full team is playing like crazy around. And you can hear everything. There is no glitches, no noise, no doubts. If the treble is not fast, and I mean really really fast, how can it be?

More feedback:

I have two problems that appears from time to time: greyness and, unrelated to the former, a flattening of the tempo. The first issue can be related to the amp. I'm almost sure of it. I'm looking for expression, for prosody of the musical passage (the patterns of stress and intonation). If I can't retrieve it and the music is dull but I know it is in the music, record and interpretation then I have to assume something is wrong in my playback chain. Sometimes it is the electricity or some other problem with machinery working at home. So I prefer to listen in the night. But at the moment I can't address this issue: if I need a new amplifier I want something like an ECP DSHA... or it won't be a real upgrade. So I have to wait.

The funny bit and very complex for me is the effect, psychological maybe, of 'flattening the tempo'. Could be because it is a monitor of sounds not music, because it puts forward everything to the same level of consciousness so your mind has to address and discard so many unmusical sounds, I don't know. I notice that in a few recordings, romantic takes and music with outstanding interpreters that do their job by stretching, delaying or pushing the bow or a key press longer, harder or slightly shorter or softer along the whole composition to express more emotion, the music is less dramatic, less 'virtuosistic', and more plain in general. All the music is simpler by a degree. The fast response to any change in pitch and the quick anticipation pays off wonderfully in any music from the 20th century onward though. And also some noisy and spectacular Mahler, for example.

It is not a problem with older recordings where some noise and softness is all around in the music. But a modern, digital, clean, pitch black background, detailed recording, it is a problem: the simplification, the detachment. And it is at the same time showing full colours, sounds with soul and beauty in the deep core of the music. Examples of modern compositions like Per Norgard 3rd by Segerstam on CD is an incredible experience (and it will be the same with any modern neutral full range, super nice treble headphones).

Maybe what I'm describing is not a problem in the headphones but a cold SS amp showing what it is inside and what it can't do (Lehmann Audio Linear at 0db gain, the other two settings increase distortion). Am I looking for tubes maybe? This effect didn't happen, at all, with my K501, or with my DT770-250.

In the meantime I just enroll in my small collection of gear a Beyer DT1990. It is few days old and mostly shouty and a bit dark. But very neutral and with a surprisingly good tone with violin. I just bought a Sibelius Concerto to test it in full... And I want to test my amp and the 'flattening the tempo' effect further.

More feedback:

If I am guessing right and you are describing this mysterious behavior a strange character trait of the K712, I do agree from experience,
with two exceptions from my earlier days with this headphone, the iFi Idsd black label and the Burson Amps.

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #5,895 of 6,349
Hi I'm thinking of buying these headphones as my gaming cans and I have a few questions.

Will the creative g6 power these headphones properly

Are these good for gaming both in a competitive setting and in a casual laud back immersive setting.

Can somebody explain the center imaging problem on this headphone? Like if there's footsteps in front of me 12 o'clock will the sound as if they're coming at 2 o'clock/10 o'clock, or do things in front of you just not sound as crystal clear as everything else?

Good for music? Guessing that's just subjective tbh.

Thanks people :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back