The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #5,836 of 6,349
The k712 is marketed at CONSUMERS, the average person, they are priced at

Hahahah such a good roast lmaooo I didn't have the mental capacity to deal with what this guy was on about lol thanks for doing it for me
you're not making much sense to me, what does price have to do with how an amp performs, what matters are the technical specifications of the amplifier,and how it synergizes with the headphone, price is irrelevant, and the 712 will never compete with the 800s, simply because of the imperfect sound signature, the 800s are designed for studio use in referencing, whereas the 712 is more consumer oriented, no professional is gonna choose a pair of 712s over a set of 800s cmon

The 712's are many things, but consumer voiced headphones they are most definately not. The polar opposite of what a bog-standard consumer-sound signature is. You place the 712's on the head of your average beats/sennheiser momentum/Sony MEGABASS/Marshall, etc, etc listening yoof or commuter, then tell them the price and they'll laugh and tell you the headphones must have a blown woofer or they are really just £10 ch-fi. I know, because I have put them on the head of a few relatives/friends and whilst I am swooning on about accuracy, soundstaging and the quality of the bass over the quantity, all the consumer-tuned brain hears is a tinny sound with no bass.

No, the AKG k712's are aimed squarely at audiophiles, studio users and gamers. Always have been, always will be. Attempting to say they are consumer-voiced is just trolling for a fight.

I was that skeptic. After being a Bowers and Wilkin P7 user, the contrast in sound signature was so stark that I nearly returned the 712's until a) I plugged them into a high-end headphone amp in a hifi shop and b) I lived with them for a few weeks to reset my brain expectations. The result was that I had to sell on all my other consumer-voiced headphones including the B&W because I just couldn't stand the overblown, exagerated bass. I had 'seen the light' and can now never look back. The 712's are neutral, detailed and natural sounding. They excel at vocals and actually do have bass and sub-bass once you learn to listen for it.

Which is all a long-winded way of saying, desribing the 712's as being marketed at consumers, is just plain wrong and demonstrates a significant degree of ignorance.

Sep 15, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #5,837 of 6,349
The 712's are many things, but consumer voiced headphones they are most definately not. The polar opposite of what a bog-standard consumer-sound signature is. You place the 712's on the head of your average beats/sennheiser momentum/Sony MEGABASS/Marshall, etc, etc listening yoof or commuter, then tell them the price and they'll laugh and tell you the headphones must have a blown woofer or they are really just £10 ch-fi. I know, because I have put them on the head of a few relatives/friends and whilst I am swooning on about accuracy, soundstaging and the quality of the bass over the quantity, all the consumer-tuned brain hears is a tinny sound with no bass.

No, the AKG k712's are aimed squarely at audiophiles, studio users and gamers. Always have been, always will be. Attempting to say they are consumer-voiced is just trolling for a fight.

I was that skeptic. After being a Bowers and Wilkin P7 user, the contrast in sound signature was so stark that I nearly returned the 712's until a) I plugged them into a high-end headphone amp in a hifi shop and b) I lived with them for a few weeks to reset my brain expectations. The result was that I had to sell on all my other consumer-voiced headphones including the B&W because I just couldn't stand the overblown, exagerated bass. I had 'seen the light' and can now never look back. The 712's are neutral, detailed and natural sounding. They excel at vocals and actually do have bass and sub-bass once you learn to listen for it.

Which is all a long-winded way of saying, desribing the 712's as being marketed at consumers, is just plain wrong and demonstrates a significant degree of ignorance.

I can see DarkFlames's point - the K712's are quite colored. More neutral than your average consumer headphone, yes, but not neutral. Compared to many previous AKG headphones, the K712 sports a more "fun" sound, with boosted lower mids and an additional boost at around 2kHz (though all the headphones in the K7xx line have this, as well as a number of other AKG headphones). DarkFlames, while wrong about them being "marketed toward" consumers (they do say "AKG Reference Headphones" right on the earcup, after all), is right that the HD800S is probably a more appropriate headphone to use for mastering, if you can afford it. If not (I certainly can't), the K712s can be used for these purposes, but it takes a fair bit of EQ to get there, since out of the box there are some rather strong irregularities in the frequency response that need to be cleaned up before it could be used as a real reference for mastering.

A more accurate statement to make, I think, would be that the K712's attempt to be lively and fun headphones for critical listening, rather than attempting a really linear frequency response. Nothing wrong with that, but it does make them a bit problematic for mastering, if they aren't subject to EQ.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #5,838 of 6,349
I can see DarkFlames's point - the K712's are quite colored. More neutral than your average consumer headphone, yes, but not neutral. Compared to many previous AKG headphones, the K712 sports a more "fun" sound, with boosted lower mids and an additional boost at around 2kHz (though all the headphones in the K7xx line have this, as well as a number of other AKG headphones). DarkFlames, while wrong about them being "marketed toward" consumers (they do say "AKG Reference Headphones" right on the earcup, after all), is right that the HD800S is probably a more appropriate headphone to use for mastering, if you can afford it. If not (I certainly can't), the K712s can be used for these purposes, but it takes a fair bit of EQ to get there, since out of the box there are some rather strong irregularities in the frequency response that need to be cleaned up before it could be used as a real reference for mastering.
Fair enough, I won't argue with you on these points. I had always assumed the 712's to be very neutral/transparent headphones; certainly compared to anything else I have heard. I have auditioned the HD800s many times, really wanting to love them. But their cheap feeling (for the price) plastic construction, combined with what I perceived to be a lacklustre, boring sound put me off. Of course a truly flat, neutral headphone will tend to sound boring with many recordings as the recording engineer will assume the vast majority of listeners to be using coloured equipment and mix accordingly. This is all still along way from describing the AKG's as being consumer-grade headphones of course, but I will concede to your point that they are not the flatest response heaphones out there.
They still sound feckin marvelous though with a holographic soundstage and vocals that place the performer right in front of your face.:)

Sep 15, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #5,839 of 6,349
Regardless of the price - HD800(S) plays in the same league as K812.
K712 (K/Q7xx) is a bit lower, but in my opinion and experience it's better than the HD600. Once I had an HD600, which I sold after I got the K701.

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #5,840 of 6,349
Don't even get me started on all this talk about impedance matching............

no, go on.

Hahahah such a good roast lmaooo I didn't have the mental capacity to deal with what this guy was on about lol thanks for doing it for me

wow, i understand you dont say you have mental capacity. "hahahah lmao good rost haha lol" . are you 12?
can we keep discussion here above that level ? or no?

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #5,842 of 6,349
no, go on.

wow, i understand you dont say you have mental capacity. "hahahah lmao good rost haha lol" . are you 12?
can we keep discussion here above that level ? or no?

Ok big boi, I understand you are just mad at getting ridiculed...buuuuut you deserved it lol. Comparing a TOTL HD800s to a budget "studio monitor" that doesn't even have a neutral response is beyond idiotic. And then you go on to say "JuSt GeT A 500 DoLlaR AmP" ,lmao,"only then it will sound good",ahahahahha that's rich,you just dug yourself deeper into the hole.

None of your points have made any sense at all. Don't ever compare these to an 800 again. Don't ever call these a neutral sounding headphone again.Don't ever mention amp price as a way to measure performance and then expect to have a logical discussion without getting roasted for your ludicrous talking points.

And it's hilarious how you knew how dumb you sounded when you mentioned amp price because right after that you edited your comment to hide that fact. You've already lost just give up.

And my comment about mental capacity was because it was like 3am and I was too tired to explain to an idiot how wrong you are, thankfully someone else did it for me. Not sure who sounds 12 here, with you spouting off nonsense nonstop.I'm done trying to talk some sense into you, but if someone else wants to take over, please do the honors.

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #5,843 of 6,349
Ok big boi, I understand you are just mad at getting ridiculed...buuuuut you deserved it lol. Comparing a TOTL HD800s to a budget "studio monitor" that doesn't even have a neutral response is beyond idiotic. And then you go on to say "JuSt GeT A 500 DoLlaR AmP" ,lmao,"only then it will sound good",ahahahahha that's rich,you just dug yourself deeper into the hole.

None of your points have made any sense at all. Don't ever compare these to an 800 again. Don't ever call these a neutral sounding headphone again.Don't ever mention amp price as a way to measure performance and then expect to have a logical discussion without getting roasted for your ludicrous talking points.

And it's hilarious how you knew how dumb you sounded when you mentioned amp price because right after that you edited your comment to hide that fact. You've already lost just give up.

And my comment about mental capacity was because it was like 3am and I was too tired to explain to an idiot how wrong you are, thankfully someone else did it for me. Not sure who sounds 12 here, with you spouting off nonsense nonstop.I'm done trying to talk some sense into you, but if someone else wants to take over, please do the honors.
Holy crap. You have some serious problems. I don't even know what to say to that. Who ridiculed me?
He said I was wrong. I don't care about that I know I'm not wrong.
You're the only one trying to ridicule. And it's pathetic. We are discussing headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #5,845 of 6,349
Holy crap. You have some serious problems. I don't even know what to say to that. Who ridiculed me?
He said I was wrong. I don't care about that I know I'm not wrong.
You're the only one trying to ridicule. And it's pathetic. We are discussing headphones.
Apologies, it was probably my fault for feeding the troll a few posts back.

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #5,846 of 6,349
I understand that none of you want to lose, but can we stop, please? The point of this forum is to talk about gear, not stroke our egos.
Comparing a TOTL HD800s to a budget "studio monitor" that doesn't even have a neutral response is beyond idiotic.

The reason the two can be compared is because the K712 responds very nicely to EQ, and has a clean enough driver that one actually can reasonably approximate the sound of the 800 with it.

Look, it is just painfully obvious that no one in this thread is really an expert on audio technology. I won't claim to be one myself - I don't really know how the science works. If you can provide an article or something, @swagadelic, that fully explains your points regarding "impedance matching," etc., then I would encourage you to post it. Until then, I don't really have any reason to trust what you're saying above the level of subjective experience, which is of course as valuable as one wants to consider it. I don't much like the idea of newcomers finding this thread and exiting with the at the very least unproven idea that they need to spend twice as much on amplification as they do on the K712s themselves, unless there is some pretty reasonable science to back it up.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #5,847 of 6,349
I understand that none of you want to lose, but can we stop, please? The point of this forum is to talk about gear, not stroke our egos.

The reason the two can be compared is because the K712 responds very nicely to EQ, and has a clean enough driver that one actually can reasonably approximate the sound of the 800 with it.

Look, it is just painfully obvious that no one in this thread is really an expert on audio technology. I won't claim to be one myself - I don't really know how the science works. If you can provide an article or something, @swagadelic, that fully explains your points regarding "impedance matching," etc., then I would encourage you to post it. Until then, I don't really have any reason to trust what you're saying above the level of subjective experience, which is of course as valuable as one wants to consider it. I don't much like the idea of newcomers finding this thread and exiting with the at the very least unproven idea that they need to spend twice as much on amplification as they do on the K712s themselves, unless there is some pretty reasonable science to back it up.

I have absolutely zero interest in whether or not anyone believes me. That's entirely up to the reader. My comments are exactly as valuable as anyone elses.

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #5,849 of 6,349
I have absolutely zero interest in whether or not anyone believes me. That's entirely up to the reader. My comments are exactly as valuable as anyone elses.
You are throwing out numbers and speaking as if you have expertise on the matters you're discussing. If you do, it should be no problem for you to substantiate that.

Beyond my skepticism, I really am curious about the science of what you're talking about, and would appreciate more resources, which I haven't been able to find through cursory Google searches.

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #5,850 of 6,349
Apologies, it was probably my fault for feeding the troll a few posts back.
I'm not trolling nor am I a troll, I'm not gonna sit back and let this guy tell me that i need a $500 amp for these $250 budget headphones, because he thinks they can rival the HD800s, which he hasn't even heard before. And then he has the audacity to suggest we have a logical discussion about it, logically discussing illogical nonsense,that is just funny to me. Trust me i'm not trolling, just teaching someone who knows nothing about what they're talking about, that's how people learn, otherwise he will continue spouting nonsense, i'm doing him a favor by enlightening him to how wrong he truly is and how absurd he sounds. @swagadelic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back