The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #5,821 of 6,349
so k712 is top dog again
Hmm, it's almost getting annoying now how much competition these headphones see off and leave spitting dust. I've just bought £1400 worth of Focal Clear. I've yet to spend a decent amount of time doing A/B comparisons, but initial impressions are that the AKG K712 still beats that headphone in some (but certainly not all) areas. For example, there is simply a whole extra layer of top-end detail that the 712's present. It may be there in the Focal's, just a bit less obvious; as I say I've yet to do extended listening tests, but initial impressions are that a £2-300 headphone beats a £1400 headphone in the detail retrieval department. :astonished:

Sep 11, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #5,822 of 6,349
You're the one missing the point, dude. The point was that making absolute claims about source differences and pretending that they are facts is ridiculous because people clearly disagree about these things a lot.

I've used them for 2 years and did have a potent amp which made them sound great (until I noticed that they were too bright for my tastes). They didn't sound significantly worse or different out of a phone though.
didnt notice this before.

them sounding too bright and even sibiliant is the most common symtom of not having adequate amp matching. its just that simple. on the ur22 they sound very sibilant on alot of music and without any sub.
And everything youve said in the thread since ive read it, have fully amplified my belief in that youve never heard them sound good. Anyway, I dont wish to argue with you anymore, so lets just leave it at that :)
peace

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #5,823 of 6,349
Hmm, it's almost getting annoying now how much competition these headphones see off and leave spitting dust. I've just bought £1400 worth of Focal Clear. I've yet to spend a decent amount of time doing A/B comparisons, but initial impressions are that the AKG K712 still beats that headphone in some (but certainly not all) areas. For example, there is simply a whole extra layer of top-end detail that the 712's present. It may be there in the Focal's, just a bit less obvious; as I say I've yet to do extended listening tests, but initial impressions are that a £2-300 headphone beats a £1400 headphone in the detail retrieval department. :astonished:
they are quite staggering in performance when they are supplied the power they need. i cant wait to save up for that €500 amp :) they deserve it... its something strange, almost like the drivers arent even turned on all the way or something, i dont understand how that works :) all i know is that its not subjective :p

Sep 11, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #5,824 of 6,349
they are quite staggering in performance when they are supplied the power they need. i cant wait to save up for that €500 amp :) they deserve it... its something strange, almost like the drivers arent even turned on all the way or something, i dont understand how that works :) all i know is that its not subjective :p
I agree. I have listened to them with a variety of amps, from the headphone stage of an integrated amp, to a cheap headphone amp to a range of portable dac/amps. And I am firmly of the opinion that they scale amazingly. I currently drive them with £1300 worth of Moon headphone amp and occasionally my Chord Mojo. A completely different headphone with these amps.

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #5,825 of 6,349
brothers in listening

Toms.AkgvsDenon[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20190910_170515[2].jpg
    20190910_170515[2].jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Sep 12, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #5,826 of 6,349
I agree. I have listened to them with a variety of amps, from the headphone stage of an integrated amp, to a cheap headphone amp to a range of portable dac/amps. And I am firmly of the opinion that they scale amazingly. I currently drive them with £1300 worth of Moon headphone amp and occasionally my Chord Mojo. A completely different headphone with these amps.
I'm currently struggling to choose between project headbox ds2b a fully balanced desktop headphone amp with 4 gain settings and three ohm settings.
And its volume is 1100mw @ 33 ohm. So it's for me end-gear. Can drive anything and everything and balanced is nice to have.

Or the chord mojo which is kind of like what the dragonfly red wants to be... Then again I already have the dragonfly. Hard choices.

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #5,828 of 6,349

More info here.
They look promissing: No bumps on the soft leather headband and low-end performance improved by 3dB.
not sure if these are going to be good enough to compete at that price range

Sep 14, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #5,829 of 6,349
with correct impedance matching the k712 wipes the floor clean with so much of the competition it's quite astonishing.

The only thing that's bad about the sound of k712 is the somewhat muddy upper bass range / lower midrange. And the slight need of some top end sparkle, the k712 is quite recessed after 16k.

But that can be eq corrected. And all the plusses and pros of the k712 easily negate the sound signature not being perfect.

I've yet to hear a can more suited for reference listening and / or mastering. Details, clarity and "what you hear is how it was recorded" is insanely good on this one... Not one can have come close so far and I've a few under my belt now

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #5,830 of 6,349
What do you mean.
The k712 is a bargain at 250 dollar IF you plan to add a 500 dollar plus amp.
And at 750 dollars it easily outclasses the hd6xx series and strongly rivals HD800s (i have not heard the 800s personally so I wont say if it equals it, or improves on it. I do know it rivals it)

If you don't add that 500 plus amp then I'd STRONGLY advice against buying the k712. Mines collecting dust until I saved up. It was a mistake buying the srh940 + dragonfly red in terms of that I could've used that money towards a proper amp instead but I desperately needed something in between that just "works". The k712 certainly does not.

But with correct impedance matching the k712 wipes the floor clean with so much of the competition it's quite astonishing.

The only thing that's bad about the sound of k712 is the somewhat muddy upper bass range / lower midrange. And the slight need of some top end sparkle, the k712 is quite recessed after 16k.

But that can be eq corrected. And all the plusses and pros of the k712 easily negate the sound signature not being perfect.

I've yet to hear a can more suited for reference listening and / or mastering. Details, clarity and "what you hear is how it was recorded" is insanely good on this one... Not one can have come close so far and I've a few under my belt now

you're not making much sense to me, what does price have to do with how an amp performs, what matters are the technical specifications of the amplifier,and how it synergizes with the headphone, price is irrelevant, and the 712 will never compete with the 800s, simply because of the imperfect sound signature, the 800s are designed for studio use in referencing, whereas the 712 is more consumer oriented, no professional is gonna choose a pair of 712s over a set of 800s cmon

Sep 14, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #5,831 of 6,349
you're not making much sense to me, what does price have to do with how an amp performs, what matters are the technical specifications of the amplifier,and how it synergizes with the headphone, price is irrelevant, and the 712 will never compete with the 800s, simply because of the imperfect sound signature, the 800s are designed for studio use in referencing, whereas the 712 is more consumer oriented, no professional is gonna choose a pair of 712s over a set of 800s cmon
I edited my reply before you quoted it.

Yes price have absolutely nothing to do with it. You may get lucky to find an amp that suits the k712 for far less.

The 500 dollar plus amp is a guarantee though. The headbox or the chord mojo to name two in that price area.
Anyway, I get that people choose the 800s over the k712 I'm simply stating that with proper amp matching the k712 far exceeds is 250 dollar price. That was my only point really. :)

I do NOT agree the k712 is for home use where did you get that idea?? Considering you have to go amp hunting its a terrible choice for anyone except a professional or a audiophile that gets it.
The hd800 is surely much easier to find an impedance match given its high impedance.
Oh and plenty of users have stated they prefer the k712 over the 800s i didn't just pull that out of thin air.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #5,832 of 6,349

Yes price have absolutely nothing to do with it. You may get lucky to find an amp that suits the k712 for far less.

The 500 dollar plus amp is a guarantee though. The headbox or the chord mojo to name two in that price area.
Anyway, I get that people choose the 800s over the k712 I'm simply stating that with proper amp matching the k712 far exceeds is 250 dollar price. That was my only point really. :)

I do NOT agree the k712 is for home use where did you get that idea?? Considering you have to go amp hunting its a terrible choice for anyone except a professional or a audiophile that gets it.
The hd800 is surely much easier to find an impedance match given its high impedance.
Oh and plenty of users have stated they prefer the k712 over the 800s i didn't just pull that out of thin air.

Sorry man but you need to stop this crap now, it's been going on for way to long.

Until you've had a chance to compare the K712 to the HD800S in your own system over time you've got no idea what your talking about. The HD800S is superior to the K712 in every way I can imagine. I can't even imagine why someone would use these kind of statements without personal experience, it sure looks pretty stupid.

I do also agree with @DarkFlames above, all this talk about a certain amount of $$$ is all that can get the K712 to sound their best is ridiculous. Just because you've heard it with one and it sounded good doesn't mean there's not a load of much cheaper options that sounds as good. Your very limited experience doesn't exactly give any valuable conclusions on what works with the K712 and what doesn't.

Don't even get me started on all this talk about impedance matching............

Sep 14, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #5,833 of 6,349
All I know is my K712 Pro sounds great from my Sabaj D5 and stays on my desk alongside Fostex TH900 Mk2 and Denon AH-D7200 and is always a welcome break from the woodies

Sep 14, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #5,834 of 6,349

The k712 is marketed at CONSUMERS, the average person, they are priced at
Sorry man but you need to stop this crap now, it's been going on for way to long.

Until you've had a chance to compare the K712 to the HD800S in your own system over time you've got no idea what your talking about. The HD800S is superior to the K712 in every way I can imagine. I can't even imagine why someone would use these kind of statements without personal experience, it sure looks pretty stupid.

I do also agree with @DarkFlames above, all this talk about a certain amount of $$$ is all that can get the K712 to sound their best is ridiculous. Just because you've heard it with one and it sounded good doesn't mean there's not a load of much cheaper options that sounds as good. Your very limited experience doesn't exactly give any valuable conclusions on what works with the K712 and what doesn't.

Don't even get me started on all this talk about impedance matching............
Hahahah such a good roast lmaooo I didn't have the mental capacity to deal with what this guy was on about lol thanks for doing it for me

Sep 14, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #5,835 of 6,349
All I know is my K712 Pro sounds great from my Sabaj D5 and stays on my desk alongside Fostex TH900 Mk2 and Denon AH-D7200 and is always a welcome break from the woodies

It sounds great from a lot of amp/dac's in my experience, it's a great headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back