The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #5,791 of 6,345
User impressions on amp pairings and how an amp sounds are generally pretty worthless due to their high level of subjectivity.

Isn't this true for headphones and pretty much everything else discussed in here....

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #5,793 of 6,345
There are differences between headphones though. Differences between amps are a more controversial subject.

In your subjective opinion :wink:

Aug 29, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #5,794 of 6,345
Not really though. How many audiophiles actually blind test anything? If your retort to that is "there's no need to since the differences are noticeable" you clearly don't understand what blind tests are for and how human perception can be influenced.

Aug 29, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #5,795 of 6,345
Not really though. How many audiophiles actually blind test anything? If your retort to that is "there's no need to since the differences are noticeable" you clearly don't understand what blind tests are for and how human perception can be influenced.

I understand perfectly what a blid test is and I still disagree with you. I honestly don't understand how you can spend time in here if every subjective opinion is worthless to you. But we're all different (and thank goodness for that) so YMMV, and obviously does.

Don't think we'll agree on this and that's perfectly fine. What I oppose to is you stating your subjective thoughts as truth.

Aug 29, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #5,796 of 6,345
There's nothing subjective about the fact that they sound horrible, half decent, or excellent, depending on power delivery to the can.

It's not subjective that they sound almost Mono with bass cut at 60 Hz from the Ur22. With shrill and sibilant 6 and 12k.

Also not subjective that the dragonfly red only can drive them to 39% of the volume before distortion happens. (also with sub missing)
Also not subjective that they need 2-16 ohm output stage. And also not subjective that volume wise (mw) they aren't hard to get loud..

So with all those facts I'm not sure why dealux is so stubborn :)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #5,797 of 6,345
Hi guys i bought an k712 today it will arrive tomorrow morning but i'm looking for an amp can you help me to find good pairing one with k712? I've B&o hi-fi plus dac/amp which is nice dac but i'm sure it cannot drive k712 properly. So i've an custom made tube amp 3A5 Rca(USA) tube on it and Input konnektör: Right-Left RCA Toslink. 800mW and 18V. So theorical it's more than enough power for k712 i tried dt 990 80ohm on it before and driven well. I'm curious about pairing with k712. If the result does not go as i expected any do you guys have suggestions for a budget amp for me?

Aug 29, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #5,799 of 6,345
and to add injury to k712; the shure srh940 works beautifully from the ur22 .

it sounds absoulutely gorgeous, very very subby and deep! in fact, i thought i wanted to eq them but no. they are fantastic in the lower range. nearly identical to k712, just that k712 is even more subby :D (which is an incredible feat for an open back AKG headphone)
so k712 is still better, but they are touch mid-rangey and muddy compared to these which seem very linear and just very very good =)
treble.. wow. so detailed and crisp crystal clear. absolutely 10/10. rivaling open senns for treble. with the bonus of not having a tinny sound. this is absolutely incredible and im blown away if you didnt notice that already.
and the sound is far far more open than it should be for a closed can. wait i should be writing this in another thread.

point is, they work flawlessly from ur22, and the dragonfly red, dont even talk about it. at 12% (the red has a digital volume control so 12% would mean 12% for everyone using it, so its not arbitrary) im almost deaf and sound is magnificent.
the k712 dont even come close, not even in the same ballpark , not even in the same country as the first park
oh and the simple fact i dont even want an eq for the shures is quite astonishing, but likely its just a new owners euphoria and most likely ill EQ them later :)

but when you give the k712 the Cold Fusion Generator it needs for power - well, then they rival the cans ive just mentioned, and i would be writing this review in reverse - but since i dont own that amp (ive only had the luxury of spending 30 minutes with the k712 sounding as they should - even being an owner for a year+ ) i have to write my k712 review as i go along.

journey aint over yet, the amp im using now make them sound decent - not more (comparing to the ur22 it sounds like heaven tho). in fact - i imagine they will be collecting dust - now that i have the SRH940 - in waiting for moneys to get that 500 eur amp .

THen.

moral of story : dont buy k712 unless u wanna buy also a 500 eur amp :) *
yes, its a 750 eur headphone :)

pz

* ofc lesser amps can also make them sing :) ymmv :)
oh and comfort? the k712 is miles and eons ahead. build quailty? eons ahead. the k712 is a FAR superior can. and since they cost nearly exactly the same, thats why i say the k712 is a 750 eur can!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #5,800 of 6,345
Hi guys i bought an k712 today it will arrive tomorrow morning but i'm looking for an amp can you help me to find good pairing one with k712? I've B&o hi-fi plus dac/amp which is nice dac but i'm sure it cannot drive k712 properly. So i've an custom made tube amp 3A5 Rca(USA) tube on it and Input konnektör: Right-Left RCA Toslink. 800mW and 18V. So theorical it's more than enough power for k712 i tried dt 990 80ohm on it before and driven well. I'm curious about pairing with k712. If the result does not go as i expected any do you guys have suggestions for a budget amp for me?

I'd definitely try them with the Hifi Plus first, it's quite capable and I used to use my K712 (and now the Q701's) with it quite often.

Don't expect a day and night difference from other alternatives. It will be more a question of personal preference than the ability to drive them well.

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #5,801 of 6,345
I'd definitely try them with the Hifi Plus first, it's quite capable and I used to use my K712 (and now the Q701's) with it quite often.

Don't expect a day and night difference from other alternatives. It will be more a question of personal preference than the ability to drive them well.

Oh really? It's good to know because i don't have decent budget for an real good amp. I heard k7xx and other variants really power hungry headphones. I hope hifi plus can handle it.

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #5,802 of 6,345
Oh really? It's good to know because i don't have decent budget for an real good amp. I heard k7xx and other variants really power hungry headphones. I hope hifi plus can handle it.

Yeah, they need some power but people have a tendency to exaggerate in this hobby. I've choose to keep the Q701's (with aftermarket pads) and sell my K712 earlier this year but from memory they're pretty much identical in their power demands and the Q's perform very well with the small B&O amp.

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #5,803 of 6,345
Yeah, they need some power but people have a tendency to exaggerate in this hobby. I've choose to keep the Q701's (with aftermarket pads) and sell my K712 earlier this year but from memory they're pretty much identical in their power demands and the Q's perform very well with the small B&O amp.
Thanks! May i ask why did you prefer q701 instead of k712?

Aug 29, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #5,804 of 6,345
Thanks! May i ask why did you prefer q701 instead of k712?

Better bass impact and comfort basically. I'm lucky enough to have a very wide variety of headphones so I wasn't looking for the best performer in absolute terms between the two but the pair that's best suited to watch movies as that's my main usage for them. I've had the Q's for many years but they're not comfortable enough for me for a night in front of the TV and I bought the K712 because I thought they'd be more comfortable. They were but then I got the Brainwavz microsued XL and the subbass in movies on the Q's were just more impact full and comfort was better for me. I didn't perceive the same with the same pads on the K712 so I sold them again. I also think that the soundstage on the Q's is larger which is nice for my use.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #5,805 of 6,345
There's nothing subjective about the fact that they sound horrible, half decent, or excellent, depending on power delivery to the can.

It's not subjective that they sound almost Mono with bass cut at 60 Hz from the Ur22. With shrill and sibilant 6 and 12k.

Also not subjective that the dragonfly red only can drive them to 39% of the volume before distortion happens. (also with sub missing)
Also not subjective that they need 2-16 ohm output stage. And also not subjective that volume wise (mw) they aren't hard to get loud..

So with all those facts I'm not sure why dealux is so stubborn :)
Well, unless someone else heard the same things as you I would not take anything you said here as "facts". They're not facts. They're observations.

The issue is that random people on the internet will have you believe many many things when it comes to amp differences. And in many of those instances, on the same headphone, I have not heard such differences. Even with the K712, I personally didn't find it to sound drastically different from source to source. They actually sounded fine out of a cheap phone. So your observations make no sense to me. They're not facts. They're just observations. Get over yourself.

I understand perfectly what a blid test is and I still disagree with you. I honestly don't understand how you can spend time in here if every subjective opinion is worthless to you. But we're all different (and thank goodness for that) so YMMV, and obviously does.

Don't think we'll agree on this and that's perfectly fine. What I oppose to is you stating your subjective thoughts as truth.
Because often times people claim to hear different things on the same gear. Good luck figuring out who's right.

The way to do it is with an aggregate of reviews and opinions and form some initial impression and ideally test the thing by yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back