The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Aug 25, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #5,777 of 6,345
dt770 :wink: (jk) but they are a decent carry around when u dont really wanna (or can) bring your k712. i must admit that. ive also just recently bought the dragonfly red (afterall, its gorgeous sounding) but it cant drive the k712, so i had to get a 770 and surprisingly enough the 2.1v is plenty enough to drive the 770 whereas the k712 starts to distort at 39% volume.
then again even at that volume, and with nearly no sub, the k712 tend to sound better than the 770 :D

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #5,778 of 6,345
Aug 26, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #5,779 of 6,345
gonna swap my dt770 for a pair of Shure srh940 :)

and i was considering selling the k712 a while ago, but nah, they are just too valuable tbh. and they seem to only sound better with time. next upgrade will defo be the Project Headbox ds2b .
Best sounding amp ive heard, but it costs 500 eur and is just an amp, not a dac or anything like that.
but it is balanced, conforming to either balanced XLR output, or unbalanced Tele output. so should i ever mod the k712 to be balanced* id have a good amp for it.
and unbalanced it sounds absolute gorgeous too, due to the dual-mono drive - i mean that may just be a hype word / selling point but it does sound absolutely fantastic.
thats the amp that turned the k712 into hd650s big and mature older brother, with tons of sub. ( i spent a good 30 minutes listening to a balanced CD player, connected to that amp, and then my k712 to the unbalanced tele)

* which i actually plan on doing once i can afford that amp as i happen to have a friend who is very good at soldering :)

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #5,780 of 6,345
Hi everyone, I've Ultrasone Signature Dj closed back headphone which is perfect for me but sometimes this closed design makes my ears sweat so much and uncomfortable for me so i decided to replace with k712. What do you think about about? I heard k712's are really comfortable and has good bass with signature. I know they are not in same grade but can someone compare for me please?

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #5,781 of 6,345
Hi everyone, I've Ultrasone Signature Dj closed back headphone which is perfect for me but sometimes this closed design makes my ears sweat so much and uncomfortable for me so i decided to replace with k712. What do you think about about? I heard k712's are really comfortable and has good bass with signature. I know they are not in same grade but can someone compare for me please?

Well it's all about what you will power the k712 with. If you don't have at least 250 bucks for amplification I can't really recommend the k712 unless you happen to get really lucky finding something cheap that works great from Ali express.

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #5,782 of 6,345
Well it's all about what you will power the k712 with. If you don't have at least 250 bucks for amplification I can't really recommend the k712 unless you happen to get really lucky finding something cheap that works great from Ali express.

Hi, thanks for reply. I've an tube amp and i can drive dt 770 (80ohm) without any problem so i gues k712 will be fine...
Actually i'm curious about sound signature. Sig dj has really clean sound and seperation i'm not basshead it's nice to have good bass but i worry about k712's sound quality. Sorry for my bad english

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #5,783 of 6,345
Hi, thanks for reply. I've an tube amp and i can drive dt 770 (80ohm) without any problem so i gues k712 will be fine...
Actually i'm curious about sound signature. Sig dj has really clean sound and seperation i'm not basshead it's nice to have good bass but i worry about k712's sound quality. Sorry for my bad english
I had a tube amp once and it sounded worse than the output of the ur22.
Ymmv. Amp is most important, dac not very important.
Sound signature is very good on a 500 eur amp but very disappointing on MOST. Again Ymmv.

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #5,784 of 6,345
I had a tube amp once and it sounded worse than the output of the ur22.
Ymmv. Amp is most important, dac not very important.
Sound signature is very good on a 500 eur amp but very disappointing on MOST. Again Ymmv.
You keep mentioning these amps. Can you describe exactly how the frequency response / performance changes with your preferred amps? You've mentioned that the subbass increases. What else?

Aug 28, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #5,786 of 6,345
You keep mentioning these amps. Can you describe exactly how the frequency response / performance changes with your preferred amps? You've mentioned that the subbass increases. What else?

The sub is ofc the main thing that changes.
The other things are a really narrow and lifeless soundstage. Overly pronounced treble. Just generally thin and lifeless.
What comes to life with enough current is soundstage, they turn quite big and powerful, with excellent separation and detail. The sound gains impact and punch.

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #5,788 of 6,345
Just got my shure srh940. Got them for 65 euro.

Listening on the dragonfly red atm, wow they sound fantastic. Actually they are very close to k712 in terms of sound signature.
They ofc lack the open sound, have similar amounts of bass (k712 being a bit more precise and sub heavy, while the clarity of these are a bit better. K712 is slightly muddy.

Mids are near identical, treble too, similar bumps and cuts. The sparkle region and clarity of these is slightly better than k712.
Overall I still prefer k712 but man these were an excellent buy. And the dragonfly red does them justice :))
edit: if hd600 was a closed back, id imagine these would be close. :) favoring this one, quite strongly. not that "tinny" treble the senns have and they are VERY close to an open sound for a closed pair. im quite impressed..
@Onurcan sry for the ninja edit :)

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #5,789 of 6,345
Something like the JDS Labs Atom can drive even stuff like the HD800 well, with no issues. It's an exceptionally clean and powerful amp for $100 (ASR did some measurements that show that).

User impressions on amp pairings and how an amp sounds are generally pretty worthless due to their high level of subjectivity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back