The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #5,446 of 6,345
Speaking of pads - does anyone have any recommendations for replacement or upgraded pads. I actually really like the stock pads on the 712 pros but velour gets my head super hot. Thoughts?

The original K712 pads are made from gel, not memory foam like many people think so i dont think youd be able to find the gel pad wrapped in pleather. You could try looking at Dekonis pad range, they're advertised a lot here.

Aug 8, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #5,447 of 6,345
The original K712 pads are made from gel, not memory foam like many people think so i dont think youd be able to find the gel pad wrapped in pleather. You could try looking at Dekonis pad range, they're advertised a lot here.

The hot summer months with it's heat has allowed for a good forming around the ears, The seal does help with its musicality speaker like quality. It is the most 2.1 like in my arsenal. Not necessarily the fastest or most detailed like i enjoy with my dt48/480. But its ability to dig deep and play the 20-1khz range is beautiful, which i feel plays a big role in it's ability to be musical. It's midrange is quite accurate, and treble for the most part inoffensive, but its right at the border where it would start piercing. So in my books its a B+/A- level headphone easily capable of dancing with big boy dynamics. :D It looks great too, and is comfortable. Great upgrade for sextett fans like myself.

Aug 9, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #5,448 of 6,345
Despite having the HD800 and a bunch of Grados, the K712 Pro is becoming my go-to headphone at the moment, partly because of the hot weather (comfort) and partly because I find the sound increasingly satisfying. How do they compare to the K812? I have a slight case of upgraditis.

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #5,449 of 6,345
Despite having the HD800 and a bunch of Grados, the K712 Pro is becoming my go-to headphone at the moment, partly because of the hot weather (comfort) and partly because I find the sound increasingly satisfying. How do they compare to the K812? I have a slight case of upgraditis.

In my experience, the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 (2nd Gen) is more along the lines of the AKG K712 Pro.
AKG K812 is flatter, more similar to the Sennheiser HD800/S.

Aug 13, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #5,450 of 6,345
after many years of AKG K712pro (Austria), I bought another used like new pair. And this time it was Slovakian made. To me, the Slovakian one sounds better. To my disbelief, I was lucky to find one for $285 from Amazon. Ebay are selling them for $500 used, I guess these AKG's must be sought after or something. They do however sound amazing though, specially these Slovakian ones. Also, I can't imagine a more comfortable can which to me is as important as the sound.

Aug 13, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #5,451 of 6,345

really!! which version k712 pro do you have? made in Austria, Slovakian or China? I like the K712pro so much that just recently I bought another pair from Amazon.

Aug 13, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #5,452 of 6,345
really!! which version k712 pro do you have? made in Austria, Slovakian or China? I like the K712pro so much that just recently I bought another pair from Amazon.
I usually switch between liking the K712’s or HD600’s better but at the moment the K712 is just killing the HD600’s just for pure enjoyment and pleasure, the soundstage allows you to relax more, HD600 sounds compressed and the midrange on the K712’s is silky with a creamy texture, sounds like a melting ice cream, yum, I have the Slovakian made ones as well paired with R2R, they definitely like high res music, which I don’t have much of, depends on how the album was mastered as well, listen to BB king live at regal on FLAC ommphh, the trumpet on please love me, brass instruments in general!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #5,453 of 6,345
after many years of AKG K712pro (Austria), I bought another used like new pair. And this time it was Slovakian made. To me, the Slovakian one sounds better. To my disbelief, I was lucky to find one for $285 from Amazon. Ebay are selling them for $500 used, I guess these AKG's must be sought after or something. They do however sound amazing though, specially these Slovakian ones. Also, I can't imagine a more comfortable can which to me is as important as the sound.
It looks like those are ridiculously priced in the NA apparently. New K712 Pros go for a bit over 200 € here in EU and that's with the tax included.

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #5,455 of 6,345
Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #5,456 of 6,345
It looks like those are ridiculously priced in the NA apparently. New K712 Pros go for a bit over 200 € here in EU and that's with the tax included.

Yeah, looks like it -- just did a Google search and here in the U.S., the going price right now is $499 -- that's the price at Guitar Center, Adorama, B&H, and for the majority of new listings on eBay.

Glad I got mine brand new for $228 USD last year, Oct 2017, on eBay, though it did ship from China, they are made in Slovakia.

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #5,458 of 6,345
As far as I know, there are no K712 Pro made in China.

Yeah, don't think so, I think the K7XX is made in China, but not the K712 Pro. Could be that the Chinese seller on eBay simply was able to get them for cheaper than someone in the US -- don't know what import costs are from EU to China. It was definitely brand new, though.

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #5,459 of 6,345
Yeah, don't think so, I think the K7XX is made in China, but not the K712 Pro. Could be that the Chinese seller on eBay simply was able to get them for cheaper than someone in the US -- don't know what import costs are from EU to China. It was definitely brand new, though.

Yes, the seller might be able to buy a huge quantity and get a better price and I'm pretty sure that setting a selling bussines in China is less expensive than setting a selling bussines in the US (cost of physical place, wharehouse, employees, exporting costs, ...)

Aug 13, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #5,460 of 6,345

Purchased my K712 around 2 months ago from a genuine music store and they are made in China it’s all over the box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back