The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Nov 15, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #4,546 of 6,345

It would be great to read your comparative impressions!

As previously mentioned, I bought a pair of K7XXs not expecting too much and was surprised with the quality of the sound, a sound that matched my preferences on tonality. After three months of listening, I decided to upgrade to the K712 PRO hoping for two things: greater extension in the high frequencies and better build quality.

Both of those objectives have been met with my new 712s.

First, the sound differences. Using my AK240SS singly and my MacBook Air with a TEAC HA-P50 DAC/amp, it was immediately apparent on first listen that the high frequency presentation was notably different between the two models. Where the 7XXs have a warmer mid/treble sound, the 712s have way more detail in the upper registers. At first, I thought maybe I made a mistake in acquiring the 712s, it being possibly too analytical for my tastes, but I decided to burn them in for a few weeks and make a determination then. Afterwards, I found the trebles had cooled down somewhat making for a pleasantly detailed mid/treble presentation with greater resolution of low level detail information compared to the 7XXs. The soundstage is thus enhanced over the 7XXs with a greater sense of space and separation. +1

The bass on the 7XXs are creamy sounding with a more rounded quality to it. I really enjoyed this aspect until listening to the burned-in 712s. Its bass has a taut quality to it with much better control and detail. It sounds like the 7XXs have more bass, but it is bloated compared to the 712s. +1

Regarding the build quality, the 7XXs head pad assembly did not operate very smoothly with one side being stickier than the other smoother operating side. This really bugged me throughout my ownership of the 7XXs, and I'm happy to report the 712s assembly is buttery smooth on both sides with no apparent difference between them. The parts quality didn't appear to be any different between the two headphones, just the assembly. For those who have 712s built in Slovakia, my serial number is 13041. +1

I now own a pair of headphones that can grow with my system, and I don't feel too much of a loss from the $1,000 headphones I've owned in the past (Audeze, Beyerdynamic, and Denon).

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #4,547 of 6,345

beerchug.gif

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #4,548 of 6,345
Hello,

I've recently starting getting interested into bettering my audio experience again and was hoping someone might guide me a bit. Since there is no substitute for just trying audio equipment I've decided to take some leaps of faith. I already pulled the trigger on some AKG k712 Pros based on Envy Lusts headphone guide for gaming and z-review's feedback on how these do with music. I wanted a good all rounder. Should be here next week.

Somewhat contradicting myself after stating leaps of faith, I have noticed that there is at least a small group of people who have all claimed that these cans really shine with tube amps. I was just going to go with the O2/ODAC and build it myself for the funsies but I would like some suggestions from people who have a little bit more experience in this field specifically with this headphone. Willing to go to about $200

Things that might be of help or notes :
1)I've not ever used a desktop amp or dac of any kind. Tube or SS.
2)When listening to this blind test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRvRZNg8L0w I chose tube for first 2. I know that this may make 0 difference since I am listening with my own phones that mess with the sound signature and theres probably youtube audio compression
3)When listening to Z-reviews tube vs ss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeNFZEMSRVc I liked the first AMP which is SS
4)I've been using ATH-A900X cans for years paired with Asus Xonar DX and no amp at all. 

TL,DR: About to receive K712 in mail what amp or amp type would you recommend a first time K712 user take a leap of faith on for someone who's never used an amp or heard the phones. $200 limit I have no DAC but xonar DX soundcard

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #4,549 of 6,345
  Hello,

I've recently starting getting interested into bettering my audio experience again and was hoping someone might guide me a bit. Since there is no substitute for just trying audio equipment I've decided to take some leaps of faith. I already pulled the trigger on some AKG k712 Pros based on Envy Lusts headphone guide for gaming and z-review's feedback on how these do with music. I wanted a good all rounder. Should be here next week.

Somewhat contradicting myself after stating leaps of faith, I have noticed that there is at least a small group of people who have all claimed that these cans really shine with tube amps. I was just going to go with the O2/ODAC and build it myself for the funsies but I would like some suggestions from people who have a little bit more experience in this field specifically with this headphone. Willing to go to about $200

Things that might be of help or notes :
1)I've not ever used a desktop amp or dac of any kind. Tube or SS.
2)When listening to this blind test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRvRZNg8L0w I chose tube for first 2. I know that this may make 0 difference since I am listening with my own phones that mess with the sound signature and theres probably youtube audio compression
3)When listening to Z-reviews tube vs ss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeNFZEMSRVc I liked the first AMP which is SS
4)I've been using ATH-A900X cans for years paired with Asus Xonar DX and no amp at all. 

TL,DR: About to receive K712 in mail what amp or amp type would you recommend a first time K712 user take a leap of faith on for someone who's never used an amp or heard the phones. $200 limit I have no DAC but xonar DX soundcard

I imagine you'll have a better idea of what dac/amp to get once you have your 712s, burn them in a bit, and listen to them for an extended period. I agree with other's comments about the ultimate need for an amp with the 712s. I'm not familiar with your soundcard, but a better dac is likely needed as well.

For your budget, I think the TEAC HA-P50 dac/amp is worth consideration. It is more neutral than warmer sounding tube amps (if designed that way—not all tube amps are warm sounding), so depending on how you like the upper frequency detail presentation of the 712s, that will guide you towards the best path.

Congrats on your purchase, I love my 712s.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #4,550 of 6,345
Now i own AD900x and K712 and i prefer K712 very much,but not because of sound but because of built K712 have bigger and more deep earpads also plastics are better quality ATH looks flimsy and i cant stand these 3D wings (why they used this ?).ATH could be better headphones with solid headband,increased clamping force and different earpads.AD900x are brighter with less bass,they are in same sound level quality with AKGs i would prefer 712 for music and AD900x for gaming.

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #4,551 of 6,345
I love the wings. Anyway, you can get velour pads for ad900x on ebay for $20, I prefer them to the k712 pads.

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #4,552 of 6,345
Mine are the closed ear phones A900x. I had em when it was necessary to keep audio bleed to a minimum. My current audio setup has always seemed to fall flat for me. Not sure exactly what the bottleneck is so thats why I just decided to revamp it all. Sometimes I actually get a better experience with $15 ear buds on my laptop then I do with my desktop and audio technicas. 0 sound stage, everything just seems muffled, no bass. They are a good phone for the purpose of having headphones but apart from them lasting the length of time they did I don't really feel the money I invested my current system(Audio Technicas+Xonar) was worth it. I'll let you know how I take to the 712s when they come

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #4,553 of 6,345
Just wondering if any 712 owners are using a Mojo and their thoughts about synergy.

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #4,554 of 6,345
I am very impressed with the K712 Pro's they sound very close to my Senn 600's going back and forth on my Darkvoice 336se tube amp find them just a bit brighter. Just got them yesterday are they ever light and comfy but if I had to choose one headphone it would be the 600's just something about the Senn sound.

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #4,555 of 6,345
Quote:
  Just received my AKG 712s made in slovakia. I am experiencing distortion on them from my TC konnekt interface. 

Sennheiser 600s drive absolutely fine and loud on this interface with no distortion whatsoever. Crystal clear. Same with my superlux 668bs

Are the 712s really this power hungry in comparison or do i have a faulty pair? 

HD 650->300 Ohms -> 180 mW with 24 mA
K712->62 Ohms-> 180 mW  with 54mA  ( more than twice the current to  get the same 180mW) 
Use I^2=P/R-> sqroot(P/R)=I
I is current
P is Power
R is load impedance

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #4,556 of 6,345
pmarrison
my K712 Pro have no distortion, but I drive them with my WNA MKII that offers over all Class A.

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #4,557 of 6,345
Sometimes I use K712, I switch from K812 to K872 and now I hear with K712.

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #4,558 of 6,345
I just bought another K712 as spare for my collection. I'll know in two days if it's made in Austria. The UPC code from seller shows the same as my Austria unit. Fingers crossed! 

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #4,559 of 6,345
  I just bought another K712 as spare for my collection. I'll know in two days if it's made in Austria. The UPC code from seller shows the same as my Austria unit. Fingers crossed! 

Why the desire for an Austrian made unit? Collectable?

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #4,560 of 6,345
  I am very impressed with the K712 Pro's they sound very close to my Senn 600's going back and forth on my Darkvoice 336se tube amp find them just a bit brighter. Just got them yesterday are they ever light and comfy but if I had to choose one headphone it would be the 600's just something about the Senn sound.

Sadly, I only read this now. 

I just got these K712 and I'm not too impressed. As I reported here I was looking for an upgrade.
I can confirm that they sound a lot alike the HD600 (just a bit more open and spacious). Which is the reason why I don't like the K712 too.
Everything is there except for that sparkle in the treble which is essential for me. I really don't like when it gets darker in the higher frequencies. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back