The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #4,396 of 6,349

Im not sure how helpful this is buttttt - I just bought these headphones - played them on the DX80 DAP - same chips?
Anyway its a plenty powerful player but they sounded only 'quite good' - no bass to speak off
However it was only when amping them that they improved into a very very nice sounding headphone. Without a descent power to drive them there was no meat or bass to them
smily_headphones1.gif

So as long as the cayin c5 is in the set up, the headphones should be powered enough? The c5 is like fiio e12 but better apparently, not sure as ive never used one. Cheers for reply. Im thinking of these open backs for rock like springsteen, kings of leon, oasis etc

I think for rock you will either love them or . . . not! They are not for bass lovers but they do have incredible detail, a great sound stage are a delight for treble accuracy/sparkle.
For older, well mastered records such as Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holiday etc etc they are just superb but for more modern recordings they can be quite brutal with even reasonably good mix's / masters.
Im sure others can answer better but they do seem a lot more power demanding than one would imagine - Be interested in how you get on with them :)

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #4,397 of 6,349
 For older, well mastered records such as Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holiday etc etc they are just superb but for more modern recordings they can be quite brutal with even reasonably good mix's / masters.

IMO, I prefer the K712 for modern American pop and rock. They sound very punchy and clear while never being sibilant. Bass goes subterranean deep yet never overpowers the mids and highs. Badly recorded pop or any music sound bad though.

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #4,398 of 6,349
I just got my 712 Pros and the padding protecting the drivers are hitting my ears, which is slightly uncomfortable. Is this just how they are? I may return them if that is the case and pickup some deeper padded headphones like the Sennheiser 650s.

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #4,399 of 6,349
With my K712 Pro I have no problems with comfort or my ears touching the drivers.  I also have a large head too, which I never realised until recently when I put on my friends headphones and they snapped in two, e.g. not wide enough to accommodate my head size.  So the K712 Pro are close to perfect for me;  I say close because the tensioner above the band is not as tight as I would like, and may in the future cause the phones to slide too low on ears.  I'd need to look in a mirror to see if this really is the case though.

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #4,400 of 6,349
I own the HD 600 and K612. I have auditioned the Q701 and found them a bit bright and lacking bass compared to the cheaper K612. Since I was so pleased with the sound signature of the K612, especially in comparison to higher end models like the HD 600, I wanted to look into the K712. Obviously I am expecting better build quality, but does the price justify the upgrade in teams of sound over the 612? Can anyone comment on the K712 vs the HD 600 in terms of sound signature, comfort, build, and durability? Where is the best place to get the K612? I seen it as low as $335 on amazon.

Thanks!

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #4,401 of 6,349
  I own the HD 600 and K612. I have auditioned the Q701 and found them a bit bright and lacking bass compared to the cheaper K612. Since I was so pleased with the sound signature of the K612, especially in comparison to higher end models like the HD 600, I wanted to look into the K712. Obviously I am expecting better build quality, but does the price justify the upgrade in teams of sound over the 612? Can anyone comment on the K712 vs the HD 600 in terms of sound signature, comfort, build, and durability? Where is the best place to get the K612? I seen it as low as $335 on amazon.

Thanks!

K712 much exquisite for bowed string instrument and piano.
HD600 much momentum for brass instrument and Organ.

K712 sounds like listening on the stage.
HD600 sounds like listening at the hall back.

If you want to listen any kinds of music, I recommend K712.

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #4,402 of 6,349
What is the best portable amp for the K712's? I want best everything no compromises. I want amazing soundstage, transparency and neutral. These are after all "reference" and I want to make sure they stay that way as I am using them for mixing

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #4,403 of 6,349
Chord Mojo? I don't have any experience with it myself, but tons of people claim that it's probably the best portable DAC/Amp combo.

Quote:
  What is the best portable amp for the K712's? I want best everything no compromises. I want amazing soundstage, transparency and neutral. These are after all "reference" and I want to make sure they stay that way as I am using them for mixing

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #4,404 of 6,349
Can anyone provide some information about how the K712 pro compares to the K240 Sextett?

My K240 Sextett failed on me recently. Allthough I am acquainted with higher-end sound (i owned HD800) K240 Sextett still impressed me as a neutral, accurate and non-fatiguing. I ordered the K712 pro without auditioning as I could acquire it new for € 225,- (approximately $255,- ). Seemed like a great price. I hope it wil be a worthwile replacement of my Sextett!!

I am looking forward to any input!

Martijn

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #4,405 of 6,349

As I was initially looking for a portable setup I briefly checked out the market of portable players/amps. 

Highest-grade products I could find were from a brand named 'Astell & Kern'. They are probably really nice but seem overpriced to me. What also seemed great, and quite a bit less expensive was Ibasso DX80. Seemed like a portable player with proper ui, possibility to insert (high-capacity) micro-SD chips and high powered (to be used without the use of an extra amp).

I looked into it only for a short while, but that info should get you a good startup to start strollin' down the market yourself :)

May 12, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #4,406 of 6,349

Hi everyone,

I want to do a sort of review or assessment of the kind of sound(s) or outcome in my listening habits that happened to me in the very few first days of my ownership.

I was delighted with the sound of my beloved K501 so far. My only regret was why a couple of recording companies or very specific CDs sounded so laser defined, edged and hot mastered, aka, a bit too much on the treble band. But they are very few and far between. Some of them are very well known (too close-miked or/and distortion at 0dB) and some of them, strangely for me, very well praised around in reviews without taking into account how painful was the violin, brass instruments, trumpet, horns, etc.

With luck, the violin will just sound as right as the medium allows (CDs). With some body, warm wood sound when playing towards the bottom of the scale but, in the highest pitches, well, they will lose all the colour or timbre and only can render a pure pitch. It happened to me also with voices, chorus, bells, etc.

The trumpets and horns will sound interesting and not painful, more like stones in a metal can than subtle farting two metres away from you. But colour? Timbre? Forget about it.

My K501 usually helps the CD player (a Linn Akurate CD) in offering as much neutrality as they can but together they will process the sound in a very particular way: ancient recordings or hot ones will be painful without remorse. The sound in the CD should be neutral, not very hot, can be loud if it is warm. My own constraints apply here: boomy or syrupy, over-mastered or cloudy, very distant, etc, can cause rejection. But, successfully, I built a small library of wonderful recordings if I understand when the CD was made/mastered and when the recording happened. So far so good, there is a ton of performances to choose. My beloved Beethoven and some deeply moving Brahms concertos and symphonies help me to smooth my rough day at my work when everybody goes to sleep and the city around choose to stay silent for a very few hours. At night, with almost every device unplugged or switched off and no sound from outside, the sounds of an open headphone creates the experience I sought after.

So far, so good. Two ‘buts’: every good recording sound quite similar in a sense of triggering the same pleasure or emotional reaction. They shouldn’t I believe, but they do regularly. They sound similar albeit I can figure out differences if I want or pay extra attention. And, maybe, they should be a way or killing too much treble in those particular recordings that I know deserved to be enjoyed (I have one particular Beethoven Violin Concerto in mind but also modern HIP orchestras and Arvo Part recordings). I can do better or look elsewhere to ‘tame’ those laser etched CDs.

So I was prepared to do a bit of investment in a DAC of sorts. Some new source that I can enjoy without too much hassle. So I could carry on enjoying my current set up.

I can’t avoid the amp or the cables. The amp is a Lehmann Audio Linear. This unit has switches in the bottom to select the gain between 0dB-10dB-20dB. After trying for a while all of them, I settle in 0dB. The other two were or too bright (20dB gain) or not natural enough versus the zero setting (10dB). So I am using the pre-amp inside as a buffer stage I think. It’s fine, it works. Obviously, driving the K501 or the Beyer DT770-250Ohm I have to turn the volume almost all the way up. No problems.

So I was in the mood of doing a purchase with a clear objective.

And I waited. Before long, one day I pass in front of one of the nice small shops that survives in London that has many headphones to try. All the big boys there, I mean, not the biggest models, but the usual good ones from different brands. I can try my mobile phone with music on some of them or try the default demo device they provide with some samples. I tried both, just for fun.

A mistake. And a surprise.

The Senn HD600 was correct as usual, nice, polite, a bit distant, a bit ‘look at the good sound I can produce, pity you will never go around the corner and hear the real thing in front of you’. Underpowered? I don’t think so. It’s the best Senn signature sound that I witnessed many times before. Nice maybe but not for me. I need more expression and a headphone that helps with that. My Beyer can help, sometimes, if the music really really calls for it.

So I was enjoying my Beethoven and Brahms. But not so much Mahler. Or Bruckner, or other people afterwards. Bartok, Stravinsky. Hummm. Mellow, sweet sound or bombastic and funny with a controlled but an excess of vitality worked. Rimsky Korsakov, Orff, Holst, Rodrigo, Tchaikovsky. All of them worked.

But I was happy.

Then I tried the K712 Pro they had in Demo. Made in Austria unit, serial very low, seven hundred something only. Very clean and not very scratched or damaged. ‘good condition’ I will put if it were for sale. It wasn’t. They had another brand new sealed unit, made elsewhere and serial sixteen thousand something.

I could only test the demos, not a direct connection to my ugly device with my usual music on it (the same I was accustomed to listen in my main system described above). What a good luck I had.

The classical music piece (together with rock-pop-jazz-R&B-etc.) was simple and smooth. And then that orange sound arrives. Orange like cooper, orange like the metal ringing of an ugly dumped big bell, orange like the vibration to the infinite of the lips inside the echo chamber of a brass instrument. It was a trumpet. A trumpet that has the colour of a trumpet. First time in my life that I can hear that. And I saw myself in my comfy sofa and Mahlers, and Bruckners, and Wagners around me.

That day at home I was regretting my good luck. I found the money and asked for the specific unit I tried, the used demo one. ‘We don’t sell used!’ told me one person in the shop. I gave up. I went the next day. Full of people I asked and asked. I felt a bit embarrassed. I couldn’t explain what happened to me there before. “The new one is the same!” I play the card ‘the new ones are not made in Austria’ and ‘they have change the speakers and now the new units sound different’. I don’t care. I don’t know. I wanted that unit, just in case. They called a manager by phone. They sold me the unit in its original box, with a very small discount. The only new or ‘replaced’ item inside was one of the cables: the straight orange one. They were nice with me. I was the stupid man.

Until I reached home with my precioussss.

It took me two whole days to find the right time to try them with the recordings I hope now I will enjoy more. Long story short: It worked with Mahler and Bruckner as I suspected. Beethoven and Brahms remains the same or felt as ‘simplified’ versions of themselves.

The headphone does a kind of effervescence sound that enlightened and amplifies the pleasure in complex or very complex orchestral music as if they are having an easy job managing those sounds without constraints, free and with over confidence. The result is sort of a ‘resample’ or oversampling of the music. Also there is more info at the bottom without being showy or creating a boomy sound. But as a whole they are showy, they bring spectacular renditions out of massive orchestras. With ease. They have more or less the lovely mids of the K501. But everything is happening upper mids and low treble I think. There is a bit of too much energy, only a little bit, more ‘glare’ that painful bright sound. But how they manage many different timbres and some in the highest pitches with ease is wonderful. You hear more and the very low level is there too, even more than K501, no matter how low the sound is, so no luck with older recordings and noise. And no luck with hotter recordings either.

But now I have Mahler and Bruckner. And Wagner is fun as hell. I tried a little bit of my previous Beethoven and Brahms and so far they remain ‘untouched’ as an emotional experience. That’s very good. Maybe there is sadness in losing some excitement with some recordings/interpretations or even compositions as the headphones render them simpler. I don’t know how.

I hope my not very sort story/review will help somebody out there.

Oh, I forget: yes, clarinets, trumpets, brass... incredible. But no luck yet with violins at full range. Really they shall be the very limit of the CD medium. And I didn't try choral, Arvo Part, or other very high pitched performances.

May 12, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #4,407 of 6,349
T
Hi everyone,

I want to do a sort of review or assessment of the kind of sound(s) or outcome in my listening habits that happened to me in the very few first days of my ownership.

I was delighted with the sound of my beloved K501 so far. My only regret was why a couple of recording companies or very specific CDs sounded so laser defined, edged and hot mastered, aka, a bit too much on the treble band. But they are very few and far between. Some of them are very well known (too close-miked or/and distortion at 0dB) and some of them, strangely for me, very well praised around in reviews without taking into account how painful was the violin, brass instruments, trumpet, horns, etc.

With luck, the violin will just sound as right as the medium allows (CDs). With some body, warm wood sound when playing towards the bottom of the scale but, in the highest pitches, well, they will lose all the colour or timbre and only can render a pure pitch. It happened to me also with voices, chorus, bells, etc.

The trumpets and horns will sound interesting and not painful, more like stones in a metal can than subtle farting two metres away from you. But colour? Timbre? Forget about it.

My K501 usually helps the CD player (a Linn Akurate CD) in offering as much neutrality as they can but together they will process the sound in a very particular way: ancient recordings or hot ones will be painful without remorse. The sound in the CD should be neutral, not very hot, can be loud if it is warm. My own constraints apply here: boomy or syrupy, over-mastered or cloudy, very distant, etc, can cause rejection. But, successfully, I built a small library of wonderful recordings if I understand when the CD was made/mastered and when the recording happened. So far so good, there is a ton of performances to choose. My beloved Beethoven and some deeply moving Brahms concertos and symphonies help me to smooth my rough day at my work when everybody goes to sleep and the city around choose to stay silent for a very few hours. At night, with almost every device unplugged or switched off and no sound from outside, the sounds of an open headphone creates the experience I sought after.

So far, so good. Two ‘buts’: every good recording sound quite similar in a sense of triggering the same pleasure or emotional reaction. They shouldn’t I believe, but they do regularly. They sound similar albeit I can figure out differences if I want or pay extra attention. And, maybe, they should be a way or killing too much treble in those particular recordings that I know deserved to be enjoyed (I have one particular Beethoven Violin Concerto in mind but also modern HIP orchestras and Arvo Part recordings). I can do better or look elsewhere to ‘tame’ those laser etched CDs.

So I was prepared to do a bit of investment in a DAC of sorts. Some new source that I can enjoy without too much hassle. So I could carry on enjoying my current set up.

I can’t avoid the amp or the cables. The amp is a Lehmann Audio Linear. This unit has switches in the bottom to select the gain between 0dB-10dB-20dB. After trying for a while all of them, I settle in 0dB. The other two were or too bright (20dB gain) or not natural enough versus the zero setting (10dB). So I am using the pre-amp inside as a buffer stage I think. It’s fine, it works. Obviously, driving the K501 or the Beyer DT770-250Ohm I have to turn the volume almost all the way up. No problems.

So I was in the mood of doing a purchase with a clear objective.

And I waited. Before long, one day I pass in front of one of the nice small shops that survives in London that has many headphones to try. All the big boys there, I mean, not the biggest models, but the usual good ones from different brands. I can try my mobile phone with music on some of them or try the default demo device they provide with some samples. I tried both, just for fun.

A mistake. And a surprise.

The Senn HD600 was correct as usual, nice, polite, a bit distant, a bit ‘look at the good sound I can produce, pity you will never go around the corner and hear the real thing in front of you’. Underpowered? I don’t think so. It’s the best Senn signature sound that I witnessed many times before. Nice maybe but not for me. I need more expression and a headphone that helps with that. My Beyer can help, sometimes, if the music really really calls for it.

So I was enjoying my Beethoven and Brahms. But not so much Mahler. Or Bruckner, or other people afterwards. Bartok, Stravinsky. Hummm. Mellow, sweet sound or bombastic and funny with a controlled but an excess of vitality worked. Rimsky Korsakov, Orff, Holst, Rodrigo, Tchaikovsky. All of them worked.

But I was happy.

Then I tried the K712 Pro they had in Demo. Made in Austria unit, serial very low, seven hundred something only. Very clean and not very scratched or damaged. ‘good condition’ I will put if it were for sale. It wasn’t. They had another brand new sealed unit, made elsewhere and serial sixteen thousand something.

I could only test the demos, not a direct connection to my ugly device with my usual music on it (the same I was accustomed to listen in my main system described above). What a good luck I had.

The classical music piece (together with rock-pop-jazz-R&B-etc.) was simple and smooth. And then that orange sound arrives. Orange like cooper, orange like the metal ringing of an ugly dumped big bell, orange like the vibration to the infinite of the lips inside the echo chamber of a brass instrument. It was a trumpet. A trumpet that has the colour of a trumpet. First time in my life that I can hear that. And I saw myself in my comfy sofa and Mahlers, and Bruckners, and Wagners around me.

That day at home I was regretting my good luck. I found the money and asked for the specific unit I tried, the used demo one. ‘We don’t sell used!’ told me one person in the shop. I gave up. I went the next day. Full of people I asked and asked. I felt a bit embarrassed. I couldn’t explain what happened to me there before. “The new one is the same!” I play the card ‘the new ones are not made in Austria’ and ‘they have change the speakers and now the new units sound different’. I don’t care. I don’t know. I wanted that unit, just in case. They called a manager by phone. They sold me the unit in its original box, with a very small discount. The only new or ‘replaced’ item inside was one of the cables: the straight orange one. They were nice with me. I was the stupid man.

Until I reached home with my precioussss.

It took me two whole days to find the right time to try them with the recordings I hope now I will enjoy more. Long story short: It worked with Mahler and Bruckner as I suspected. Beethoven and Brahms remains the same or felt as ‘simplified’ versions of themselves.

The headphone does a kind of effervescence sound that enlightened and amplifies the pleasure in complex or very complex orchestral music as if they are having an easy job managing those sounds without constraints, free and with over confidence. The result is sort of a ‘resample’ or oversampling of the music. Also there is more info at the bottom without being showy or creating a boomy sound. But as a whole they are showy, they bring spectacular renditions out of massive orchestras. With ease. They have more or less the lovely mids of the K501. But everything is happening upper mids and low treble I think. There is a bit of too much energy, only a little bit, more ‘glare’ that painful bright sound. But how they manage many different timbres and some in the highest pitches with ease is wonderful. You hear more and the very low level is there too, even more than K501, no matter how low the sound is, so no luck with older recordings and noise. And no luck with hotter recordings either.

But now I have Mahler and Bruckner. And Wagner is fun as hell. I tried a little bit of my previous Beethoven and Brahms and so far they remain ‘untouched’ as an emotional experience. That’s very good. Maybe there is sadness in losing some excitement with some recordings/interpretations or even compositions as the headphones render them simpler. I don’t know how.

I hope my not very sort story/review will help somebody out there.

Oh, I forget: yes, clarinets, trumpets, brass... incredible. But no luck yet with violins at full range. Really they shall be the very limit of the CD medium. And I didn't try choral, Arvo Part, or other very high pitched performances.
Thank you for your your well articulated and insightful experience. You make me want to have a nice long listening sessions with my K712s and some we'll recorded classical music....hmmmm.

May 12, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #4,408 of 6,349
May 12, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #4,409 of 6,349
Maybe the demo K712 is well burned in. I haven't heard the slovakian model though since mine is made in Austria

May 12, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #4,410 of 6,349
I guess I really need to listen to the K712s more critically as I have never taken the K712 seriously. I just feel that my, Slovakian made, K712 has a fun & musical sound compared to my, Austrian made, K702 65th Anniversarys(K702 Annies). To me the K702 Annies have the perfect bass response with slightly forward Mids. In contrast I find the K712s to have too much Bass, resulting in a smoother more musical but colored sound but are more aligned with the Mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back