The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #3,317 of 6,347
  Any recommendations for an aftermarket cable?  Silver? Copper? Hybrid?

Unless you need a different length cable or for aesthetic reasons want to change, you won't be getting a perceivable sonic benefit from cable upgrades. 

Not sure if if made any difference but made up my own just after purchasing as I'm not fond of adapters as multiple connections may degrade the electrical signal, ideally I prefer hard wired and may do so if I hold onto the K712s.

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #3,318 of 6,347
Those look great, what did you make it out of? I was thinking of buying a shorter cable actually as I don't like the coiled one that much. It gets in my way and is noticeable while gaming. Lots of good reasons to get new cables, just don't do it because of the sound. 

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #3,319 of 6,347
Canare 4E6S 1205, 4 wires plus ground which for some may be a bit stiff but ok if your listening is stationary and not mobile, most quality microphone cable should be fine as long as it does not carry vibrations to the phones. Overall I believe there is an improvement over the stock cable, subtle maybe but ideally at some point I really want to go balanced to take advantage of the additional 6dB gain on the Bryston BHA-1 but as of yet do not want to dissect the K712s.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/659251/the-akg-k712-pro-support-and-impressions-thread/3255#post_10826671

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #3,320 of 6,347
Pumped that I picked up the K712's a few days ago - they just went up $50 on Amazon!  
eek.gif

Sep 7, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #3,321 of 6,347
Hell
  Canare 4E6S 1205, 4 wires plus ground which for some may be a bit stiff but ok if your listening is stationary and not mobile, most quality microphone cable should be fine as long as it does not carry vibrations to the phones. Overall I believe there is an improvement over the stock cable, subtle maybe but ideally at some point I really want to go balanced to take advantage of the additional 6dB gain on the Bryston BHA-1 but as of yet do not want to dissect the K712s.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/659251/the-akg-k712-pro-support-and-impressions-thread/3255#post_10826671

Hello Rob

Have you any more thoughts on the 712 Pro compared with the HD700? Will you be keeping both? I'm kind of torn between the two, at the same price which makes it even more difficult.

Also, I'm only going to be using these for gaming so need the most comfortable and best imaging/soundstage of the two. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #3,322 of 6,347
Anyone have any recommendations for a DAC with the K712's? I am saving my $$$ for something very good in the near future, perhaps with a budget limit of $500. It would have to be used with optical/SPDIF-input only; no USB. Here are two DACs that have interested me:

Schiit Uber Bifrost: $419

Emotiva Stealth DC-1: $499 (comes with a preamp as well)

I do not know much about DACs but at a first glance the Stealth DC-1 is more appealing to me. I am not sure about the quality of its preamp, but from what I have read it may be similar to my O2 amp. If so, then that would save space on my desktop and my surge protector which is at capacity for plug-ins. Plus, with the rest of computer + components all black, it will fit nicely with my computer setup. The blue display looks nice too.

However, I do not know much about DACs so that is why I am seeking advice + recommendations on here. I do not want to make a potential $500 blunder.

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #3,323 of 6,347
  Hell

Hello Rob

Have you any more thoughts on the 712 Pro compared with the HD700? Will you be keeping both? I'm kind of torn between the two, at the same price which makes it even more difficult.

Also, I'm only going to be using these for gaming so need the most comfortable and best imaging/soundstage of the two. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Currently I like both but if I could only keep one I’d take the HD700s, the 700s are more focused (the angled drivers are a kin to properly positioned speakers) with details being better defined from top to bottom with a tighter bass (the improved bass on the 712 is only due to the new pads), soundstage has more coherency (again from design) and I love the fit (on most phones it is either hit or miss, and I much prefer the microfiber fabric on the 700s over the velour of the AKGs for long term listening)).
Basically I believe Sennheiser have given us a technically superior headphone with a lot attention to detail with regards to its overall creation in mating the drivers to the cups, baffle and ears and IMHO it works great as opposed to AKG and many other manufacturers who just throw new pads and possible a slightly different driver on a somewhat modified signature structure, think also Grado, which just holds a pair of drivers next to the ears.

The K712s are not bad headphones and I have full confidence in AKGs capsule design, (they are not new kids on the block having produced highly regarded headphones and microphones for many many years), and can be quite satisfying but Sennheiser with their R&D as I mentioned took things much farther (which started with the HD800s but IMO a bit over the top and which probably accounts for their polarizing acceptance), in many ways the 700s with applied trickle down technology are a more successful headphone, but that’s only my opinion and preference

But presently I do like to alternate between the two, the K712s overall presentation is more pedestrian and warmer in comparison to the 700s (which may be why the 700s are not as widely accepted as they are different and an improvement over their HD6xx stalwarts) but in a similar fashion AKG have also “somehow” managed with the K712s in giving us a different presentation, being less bright with much increased (not necessarily improved) bass extension and body over the previous K7XX series but this was achieved by applying more of a band aid approach with new pads (maybe drivers) instead of a completely new overall technical design like the 700s, this was reserved for K812s but again a variation over their classic appearance.    

Many say the HD700s were/are way over priced when introduced but were a completely new headphone, which probably initially justified the costs.
To Sennheiser’s chagrin the 700s are not the overall success they may have imagined in the head-fi community, again most likely due to pricing.
They are still on average twice the price of he K712s, $700 vs $350, again IMO worth the difference but only if they satisfy what one wishes from a headphone.
I’m music lover first but still an old stick in the mud audiophile and on that premise the 700s are the more successful headphone in presenting an overall better sonic presentation compared to all the other phones I’ve had in my collection over the years.
Now having said that, if there was not a HD700 the K712s would do just fine and for now I'm keeping both.
smile.gif

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #3,324 of 6,347
  Currently I like both but if I could only keep one I’d take the HD700s, the 700s are more focused (the angled drivers are a kin to properly positioned speakers) with details being better defined from top to bottom with a tighter bass (the improved bass on the 712 is only due to the new pads), soundstage has more coherency (again from design) and I love the fit (on most phones it is either hit or miss, and I much prefer the microfiber fabric on the 700s over the velour of the AKGs for long term listening)).
Basically I believe Sennheiser have given us a technically superior headphone with a lot attention to detail with regards to its overall creation in mating the drivers to the cups, baffle and ears and IMHO it works great as opposed to AKG and many other manufacturers who just throw new pads and possible a slightly different driver on a somewhat modified signature structure, think also Grado, which just holds a pair of drivers next to the ears.

The K712s are not bad headphones and I have full confidence in AKGs capsule design, (they are not new kids on the block having produced highly regarded headphones and microphones for many many years), and can be quite satisfying but Sennheiser with their R&D as I mentioned took things much farther (which started with the HD800s but IMO a bit over the top and which probably accounts for their polarizing acceptance), in many ways the 700s with applied trickle down technology are a more successful headphone, but that’s only my opinion and preference

But presently I do like to alternate between the two, the K712s overall presentation is more pedestrian and warmer in comparison to the 700s (which may be why the 700s are not as widely accepted as they are different and an improvement over their HD6xx stalwarts) but in a similar fashion AKG have also “somehow” managed with the K712s in giving us a different presentation, being less bright with much increased (not necessarily improved) bass extension and body over the previous K7XX series but this was achieved by applying more of a band aid approach with new pads (maybe drivers) instead of a completely new overall technical design like the 700s, this was reserved for K812s but again a variation over their classic appearance.    

Many say the HD700s were/are way over priced when introduced but were a completely new headphone, which probably initially justified the costs.
To Sennheiser’s chagrin the 700s are not the overall success they may have imagined in the head-fi community, again most likely due to pricing.
They are still on average twice the price of he K712s, $700 vs $350, again IMO worth the difference but only if they satisfy what one wishes from a headphone.
I’m music lover first but still an old stick in the mud audiophile and on that premise the 700s are the more successful headphone in presenting an overall better sonic presentation compared to all the other phones I’ve had in my collection over the years.
Now having said that, if there was not a HD700 the K712s would do just fine and for now I'm keeping both.
smile.gif

Thank you for the insight, Rob. You've summed it up beautifully. I really appreciate you taking the time to write a fair comparison of the two. I've decided to go for the HD700 for my gaming needs. Thanks again.

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #3,325 of 6,347

Thank you for the insight, Rob. You've summed it up beautifully. I really appreciate you taking the time to write a fair comparison of the two. I've decided to go for the HD700 for my gaming needs. Thanks again.

Your welcome Bloorflowerz

But have you tried the K712s and HD700, we all have different preferences and ...ears.

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #3,327 of 6,347
To Sennheiser’s chagrin the 700s are not the overall success they may have imagined in the head-fi community, again most likely due to pricing. They are still on average twice the price of he K712s, $700 vs $350, again IMO worth the difference but only if they satisfy what one wishes from a headphone.

Just wanted to say that the HD700 was discounted to $550 by a lot of retailers last year for Black Friday. Could be worth waiting until then for anyone looking to buy an HD700.... (wouldn't be surprised if the K712 gets a Black Friday deal too, could be worth waiting for?)

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #3,329 of 6,347
  Anyone have any recommendations for a DAC with the K712's? I am saving my $$$ for something very good in the near future, perhaps with a budget limit of $500. It would have to be used with optical/SPDIF-input only; no USB. Here are two DACs that have interested me:

Schiit Uber Bifrost: $419

Emotiva Stealth DC-1: $499 (comes with a preamp as well)

I do not know much about DACs but at a first glance the Stealth DC-1 is more appealing to me. I am not sure about the quality of its preamp, but from what I have read it may be similar to my O2 amp. If so, then that would save space on my desktop and my surge protector which is at capacity for plug-ins. Plus, with the rest of computer + components all black, it will fit nicely with my computer setup. The blue display looks nice too.

However, I do not know much about DACs so that is why I am seeking advice + recommendations on here. I do not want to make a potential $500 blunder.

I've been looking at the Peachtree Dac-IT X for some time. Generally excellent reviews, $299 on Amazon. All the inputs you need. 

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #3,330 of 6,347
Reviewer say that when the remote dies, you can't switch input anymore. I prefer USB powered DAC though since I don't need another wall plug, and it can definitely make my K712 sound very loud and distortion free.

I have the Meridian Explorer (newer version without the 50 ohm output impedance) which I paid for $150 sale brand new last year. It was a heck of a deal that I couldn't let pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back