The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #3,181 of 6,349
Woo hoo just got my K712's! I hate how long AKG's take to burn in...

Did you listen to them yet???
Things "opened up" with time, but I thought they sounded quite good when I first got them (Used, but used little).

Just got a new cable from Zombie_ZX, I've never compared cables before but it sounds great, physically it's nicer in a few ways than stock (though sleeved in black, personally I like a little color but black isn't bad). I'm not sure if it's the cable or the tube I'm using ATM, but I've never heard Wilco's music more crisply, staggered by the detail & transparency (this after spending most of July's head time trying out the DT880). Instant musical-pleasure shivers!

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #3,183 of 6,349
I am very much enjoying them, hope my K240's don't start collecting dust though, love those too. 

Are the pads on the K712 removal? If so how do I go about doing that? They are not as easy as the K240's. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #3,184 of 6,349

It's a simple operation really, just rotate counter clockwise gently.  I would make sure to grip them towards the base as you don't want to stretch or tear the fabric.  Be aware that once they are off the driver is VERY exposed. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #3,185 of 6,349
Nice! Glad you like them! IMO, they will scale better with more power. Everything opens up with better equipment with this headphone
I do not have the K712 but I do have a pair of Annie to compare with the X1;

X1 is darker in comparison, not as transparent and accurate as Annie
X1 got the bass quantity and goes deeper than Annie but quality wise, I prefer the Annie better
Soundstage is slightly better on the Annie
Midrange of X1 feels a little drowned out to me

Keep in mind that, I have not listen to the X1 for awhile now
smily_headphones1.gif

Well it is what I feel coming from k702 to x1...at first I was like wow...then I was like ok lets go to something else...

BTW all I was asking in k702 was more bass....now annie or k712?

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #3,186 of 6,349
They are basically the same. The new Annies use the same pads as the K712, so I'm willing to bet an A/B comparison of those two will be very much similar. Having compared a Q701 to an Annie, and having used the K712 let me know they're both basically the same as the Q701, minor driver variation, and pad differences aside. You can literally buy the K712 pads for the Q701 and get 99% the same sound.

GET whichever is cheapest. The biggest difference between the Annie and K712 is only if you find an OLD Annie which jad different pads from the K712, and made the sound warmer and more intimate.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #3,189 of 6,349
GET whichever is cheapest. The biggest difference between the Annie and K712 is only if you find an OLD Annie which jad different pads from the K712, and made the sound warmer and more intimate.

Thank you, well I think k712 are cheaper then Annie so will wait for them...meanwhile will check HD650 hope they will be not disappointing after k702 and X1

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #3,190 of 6,349
Having compared a Q701 to an Annie, and having compared a Q701 with the K712 let me know they're both basically the same as the Q701, minor driver variation, and pad differejces aside.

When did you compare Q701 to K712?

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #3,192 of 6,349
When did you compare Q701 to K712?

edit: I apologize, it was when I had the Anniversary that I had his Q701, not the K712. I mistook the K612 for the Q701. So many damn A/B comparisons done, and it doesn't help that they all look essentially the same.

That being said, the Annie being a very special headphone to me, everything I loved from it was right there witb the K712, other than the pad differences making the K712 airier and less intimate. I still believe it's the pad and slight driver variation being the sole differences between them.

I know you have/had both. Can you clarify just how close the Q701 sounds to the K712 when swapping pads? I'm stupid. Could've easily just asked you how close you think they are.

I attribute driver variation being very important, because I at one point had 3 DT990 600ohm cans (as well as 32ohm and 250ohm to compare), and they 600ohm 990s sounded slightly different from one another. No two headphones are exactly the same, even amongst the same exact model. So I take slight variation into account, and not driver changes.

I was at one time defending the Annie as being different from the Q701. Which it is. But that differences was the pads. I feel it's the same thing with the K712.

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #3,193 of 6,349
I'll take some time and compare again. I know Chico said the pads were everything, and in the past I said I could hear the drivers tuned different even when I use the same pad on either, but at the least I can tell if it's the pad wear once and for all that made my used Q701's more bassy than my also used but relatively newer K712 (I just had a third person try them, he also agrees the Q701 is also the bassier one).

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #3,194 of 6,349
edit: I apologize, it was when I had the Anniversary that I had his Q701, not the K712. I mistook the K612 for the Q701. So many damn A/B comparisons done, and it doesn't help that they all look essentially the same.

That being said, the Annie being a very special headphone to me, everything I loved from it was right there witb the K712, other than the pad differences making the K712 airier and less intimate. I still believe it's the pad and slight driver variation being the sole differences between them.

I know you have/had both. Can you clarify just how close the Q701 sounds to the K712 when swapping pads? I'm stupid. Could've easily just asked you how close you think they are.

I attribute driver variation being very important, because I at one point had 3 DT990 600ohm cans (as well as 32ohm and 250ohm to compare), and they 600ohm 990s sounded slightly different from one another. No two headphones are exactly the same, even amongst the same exact model. So I take slight variation into account, and not driver changes.

I was at one time defending the Annie as being different from the Q701. Which it is. But that differences was the pads. I feel it's the same thing with the K712.

I think both the Annie and K712 are very special headphones myself, especially when well-amped. I wonder if AKG is done with revisions on the K701 family or not. Maybe they will release a completely new mid-tier open-back not too far in the future.

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #3,195 of 6,349
I wish AKG would just stop with the subtle changes and stick to their guns. Doesn't help that the newer Annies use the same pads as the K712, which will make them sound different from the Annie I had.

Now I want someone to compare a new Annie with a new K712 with the similar pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back