The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #3,061 of 6,345
The micro iDSD seems aimed at portability. While this sounds great (and it probably is), I'd be using my headphones, plus any dac/amp exclusively at a stationary computer. Wouldn't a non-battery powered device be preferable in that situation?

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #3,062 of 6,345
  What do you recommend? I'd say go wild, but seeing I'm just entering the scene, lets put a budget limit at $200. I'm all ears for suggestions as far as dac/amp's are concerned.

If you want virtual surround sound for the gaming part, you can get a Creative Sound Blaster Omni and use that as your DAC for the time being and feed the signal out to the amp. It would allow you to get a nicer amp since you can pick up an Omni for around $50. In the future, if you wanted to upgrade your DAC section, you can add it to the chain and still retain the VSS using the Omni's optical out. 

Notable amps would be the Schiit Vali/Magni, Objective O2, HIFIMAN EF-A2, or Aune T1. You could also forget about the sound card for now and add one later and just get a capable DAC and amp for now. A Schiit stack (Modi/Magni) or an Aune X1 should do nicely for your budget. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #3,063 of 6,345
Virtual surround sound isn't really important to myself at all. Which one of the Schiit / Aune X1 would work better? Could I get something that's a "big" improvement over either of these if I add but a tiny bit more to the budget (say, $250 instead of $200)? I'm looking for the best solution that I can stick with for awhile.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #3,064 of 6,345
The micro iDSD seems aimed at portability. While this sounds great (and it probably is), I'd be using my headphones, plus any dac/amp exclusively at a stationary computer. Wouldn't a non-battery powered device be preferable in that situation?

The Micro iDSD is actually more than that. It's a desktop amp/DAC but it's primary use is portability IMO Spec and tech wise, they seem future proof as well but can't talk about the sound until it arrived.

As for now, the E09K adds warm to the sound and it has the power to drive my Annie. Slight warm, not as warm as the E07K.

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #3,065 of 6,345
The Micro iDSD is actually more than that. It's a desktop amp/DAC but it's primary use is portability IMO Spec and tech wise, they seem future proof as well but can't talk about the sound until it arrived.

As for now, the E09K adds warm to the sound and it has the power to drive my Annie. Slight warm, not as warm as the E07K.

So when you say you use both the E09K and E07K, do you mean you alter between them, or? And if so, which one do you prefer?

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #3,066 of 6,345
So when you say you use both the E09K and E07K, do you mean you alter between them, or? And if so, which one do you prefer?

The E07K as DAC and E09K as power amp :) I do use the E07K as amp and DAC at the same time to drive my lower impedance headphone. That's one thing I like about this combo. I can drive low and high impedance, take the E07K out and I get a portable amplifier while on the to :)

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #3,068 of 6,345
I have plan for selling mine and if you want, I can ship it to you but I kinda broke one of the plastic pin of my adapter for E09K and slight scratches on the E07K screen protector as well.

Or try this link:
http://fiio.com.cn/where/index.aspx :)

Distributor Portacomp AG
Address Mittlere Bahnhofstrasse 2 8853 Lachen Switzerland
TEL +41 (0)55 451 50 15
FAX +41 (0)55 451 50 16
Email mail@portacomp.ch
Web Site www.portacomp.ch

Distributor UZTORE AB
Address ARBYLUNDSGATAN 5,723 46 VASTERAS,SWEDEN
TEL +46-709-386939
FAX
Email i@uztore.se
Web Site

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #3,071 of 6,345
  From the looks of it, very little. But by all means, take a peek yourself:

http://www.pricerunner.se/
http://www.prisjakt.nu/

I know it's in Swedish, but the search bar is really all you need in there.

It looks like you can get an E12 off both sites, but you would still need a DAC. I would send an email/PM to @Kingwa and find out how much shipping is on a NFB-15 and then evaluate if saving up the extra would be worth it. That being said, I don't know all the ins and outs of audio stores or websites in Sweden, so maybe someone else could chime in? You might want to make a general thread on the Headphone Amps section and specify Sweden. 

You could also check out the FS section and see if anyone is selling anything in Europe and then work out shipping from there. I don't know how bad customs/import tax will hit you though on either of those options though. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #3,075 of 6,345
I have a somewhat urgent question for everyone who has owned this can.  I recently purchased these headphones and have been very pleased with their sound, but notice that I can make the really deep bass distort horrifically with a few songs.  Has anyone else had this issue, or do I have lemon?  I'm definitely thinking about returning them, but need to find out if this is a normal issue and whether I should re-purchase them, or move on to something like the HD650's. I only have a few days left in my return window... 
confused_face.gif

The tracks that cause the issue include:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2IlehSR5zM

and 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_soLG38kJak

(Distortion around 00:40 through 00:50.... and yes, the distortion comes through even with the youtube video.) 

Feedback would be really appreciated! If this is the norm AKG has got some problems. My NAD HP50's have no distortion problems at all with these tracks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back