The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #3,047 of 6,345
That sounds like hyperbole to me, as I have never heard a source drastically change a headphone's inherent signature. Sorry. I'll remain skeptical about comments like that.

I don't think he's referring to the sound signature changing much, it's more that it better fleshes out the sound of the headphone which can be quite a drastic change depending how much of a source upgrade it is.

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #3,048 of 6,345
How is the 712s sense of air compared to the Q701? Compared to my Annie's my Qs give a greater sense of pure air atmosphere where as the Annie's sound more congested and more like a closed in space. How does the 712 fit in?

After comparing my 65th Annie's to my HD650 I can't see how the Senns can be considered king of vocals anymore the Annie's have more emotion and much more seductive due to to being a bit dimmed where it counts in comparison.

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #3,049 of 6,345
The K712 is a little more airy than the Annie, but only by a little bit. It will still sound congested compared to a vanilla Q701.

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #3,050 of 6,345
Well, after listening to these heapdhones, I like them, and I don't.

I like them for the imaging, but they sound weak and there is no bass.

They sound basically like the MA900s with a better midrange and more, deeper bass (going off of memory). I tried to mod them for more bass (removing the felt behind the driver, putting tape over the white felt around the driver, equalizing, and trying beyerdynamic gel earpads which are known for increasing bass), but the difference doesn't satisfy me enough. The drivers are very prone to cone breakup, moreso than any headphone that I've experimented on, and that really kills bass potential.

While I know these headphones were made to not be bass-heavy, I wasn't to expecting them to sound this anemic. Seeing as how many people are complimenting their bass performance, and my initial assumptions on the driver's capability to handle power, I thought they'd be better contenders.

Keep in mind that these impressions are coming from comparing them to my highly modded AD2000s (see avatar pic), so it may not be a completely fair impression, seeing as these headphones are pretty much opposites of each other. You have the K712s with their delicate and crisp sound signature, then you have my modded ad2ks which are just powerhouses with the cleanest, hardest hitting bass, and the best midrange I've ever heard.

I would keep them as a compliment to my headphones (well, to use as my dedicated anime-phones), but I prefer my ad2ks too much. Better bass and mids, they sound more natural, especially with vocals and jazz, they're much louder (the K712s can eat up some power), and I find them more comfortable to wear. Back to Amazon they go
tongue.gif

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #3,052 of 6,345
  "I am starting to really hate the DT880 after getting the K712..."

Ha, funny. I felt the same way after getting my Q701's. The 880's sounded so closed in and boomy sounding.

I actually prefer the dt880 over any other headphone (if the beyerpeak wouldn't be there!). It lets you sink in into the music like no other HP I've tried. The dt880 sounds more "vertical" (if this makes any sense) while the K712 and the HD650 sound very "upright" to me (regarding the soundstage). Maybe it's just the bass, but it makes a huge difference IMO.

I did some A/B comparisons between the K712 and the K701 and thought the K712 was instantly more engaging. But it also had this veiled character, almost cloudy, which I couldn't get used to. The K701/702 is for me the better buy.

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #3,054 of 6,345
Has anyone compared the 712 Q/K 701/2 to the equivalent Audio Technica AD900, AD1000, AD2000? How do they compare in terms of sound staging and depth?

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #3,055 of 6,345
The soundstage on the K712 is more focused in your head with a depth that sounds like it's coming from above you while the AD2000 is noticeably wider with a depth that spreads in front of you. The AD2000 sounds more forward and it can be harder to distinguish the sounds than on the K712, with its more light and dry sound. You'll still hear the same thing, but the AD2000 (and basically the whole AD series since they all do soundstaging basically the same) will seem to stretch the sound in a wider area, whereas the K712 tends to focus the same sound in a smaller area.

To me, the soundstage on the AD series sounds more natural and full, while the K712's soundstage sounds somewhat detached. The K712 images better, but the AD2k sounds more natural to me. Here's an image illustrating how I see the soundstage on both (viewing the head from the top, right is K712):

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #3,056 of 6,345
So in your opinion, if I wanted to upgrade my current setup (O2 amp & Sound Blaster Z) for my K712s in the future, would either a dedicated DAC or a stronger amp enhance the SQ the most for the K712s price wise?I mainly use them for gaming atm while I have plans to use them for listening to orchestra/classical soundtrack music in the near future (once my new drive arrives for ripping). I do not think I will have too much $$$ available to buy the best compatible parts for it, and I am already loving the amazing SQ of the K712s so far. So I have to be budget consensus and get the "best bang for the buck" so to speak. Something for me to think about.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #3,059 of 6,345
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to all this.

I have for as long as I can remember been using a headset (awful, I know), and I've now come to that point again where it's time to swap it out for something new; only this time, I decided to do a bit of research on the subject instead of just grabbing a new pair of a brand I'm already familiar with from some random local store.

The result of all this a sparked interest in the audiophile scene, and the K712 Pro seems like a pretty good place to start. Reason I came here however is because I'm under the assumption that directly connecting these to my computer is going to provide me with some pretty lame results compared to what I could get if I were to use a dac/amp setup of some sort, so I'm basically looking for some advice on that matter. Seeing there are quite a few to choose from, I'll just give you a brief description of what I intend to use the headphones for, which is: Gaming, music, movies and.. just about everything, really. But mainly those three core things.

What do you recommend? I'd say go wild, but seeing I'm just entering the scene, lets put a budget limit at $200. I'm all ears for suggestions as far as dac/amp's are concerned.

Cheers. c:

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #3,060 of 6,345
  Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to all this.

I have for as long as I can remember been using a headset (awful, I know), and I've now come to that point again where it's time to swap it out for something new; only this time, I decided to do a bit of research on the subject instead of just grabbing a new pair of a brand I'm already familiar with from some random local store.

The result of all this a sparked interest in the audiophile scene, and the K712 Pro seems like a pretty good place to start. Reason I came here however is because I'm under the assumption that directly connecting these to my computer is going to provide me with some pretty lame results compared to what I could get if I were to use a dac/amp setup of some sort, so I'm basically looking for some advice on that matter. Seeing there are quite a few to choose from, I'll just give you a brief description of what I intend to use the headphones for, which is: Gaming, music, movies and.. just about everything, really. But mainly those three core things.

What do you recommend? I'd say go wild, but seeing I'm just entering the scene, lets put a budget limit at $200. I'm all ears for suggestions as far as dac/amp's are concerned.

Cheers. c:

I'm currently using the FiiO E07K and E09K for the Annie and it works great! but as soon as my Micro iDSD came in, I am mostly selling it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back