The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
May 24, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #5,717 of 6,345
i do have 4 stages of gain that i can chose from, it should at least sound better on Low gain.

what you need is an ohm switch, which some higher end headphone amp has. sometimes that is actually the "gain" switch. but likely not on yours since the spec mentions nothing aobut it, it just says 2 ohm output.
so there is far from enough resistance so in fact they get overpowered and they sound horrible. and id also assume you could fully blow the drivers with this amp - youd likely go deaf before that but should be very possible.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #5,718 of 6,345
is this not enough for these headphones ?
3600mW / 25 ohm
2500mW / 40 ohm
1100mW / 100 ohm
400mW / 300 ohm
200mW / 600 ohm

Yes that should be perfectly adequate. As a general rule of thumb the output impedance of the amplifier should be 1/8 of the impedance of the headphones (personally I find this to be quite flexible within reasonable levels). Lower is also generally considered to be better.

For me the best amplifier for the K712 was the Burson Conductor V2+ which has similar 2Ohm output as in your case.

I think that your amplifier is either a bad match (sound signature wise) for the K712 or you just don't like the sound of these headphones.

Just my 2c :)

May 25, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #5,719 of 6,345
as i said in previous reply, getting roughly 8x the power that the headphones are rated at isnt a good thing.
what you need is a much less powered amp but with the right ohm matching.
you dont need 2500mw @ 40 ohm, you want 250mw @ 64 ohm with an 8 ohm (8-24 ohm should be good enough) output impedance for the perfect match. sure if you have an amp that does all that but with more power, then its just a matter of not turning the dial up that much, ofc .

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #5,720 of 6,345
as i said in previous reply, getting roughly 8x the power that the headphones are rated at isnt a good thing.
what you need is a much less powered amp but with the right ohm matching.
you dont need 2500mw @ 40 ohm, you want 250mw @ 64 ohm with an 8 ohm (8-24 ohm should be good enough) output impedance for the perfect match. sure if you have an amp that does all that but with more power, then its just a matter of not turning the dial up that much, ofc .

Just for the record, I respectfully disagree with everything in this post.

On a well designed amp there's no such thing as too much power in my experience.

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #5,725 of 6,345
My hearing has been increasingly sensitive for the last couple weeks, to the point where the treble / shoutiness of the K712's were getting to be a bit much, so I devised a new EQ to get them as close to neutral as I really wanted. Here's the EQ (if I feel like listening to something neutral rather than AKG'd to hell). Done using the standard EQapo editor.

pre: -4.5

30: +4
60: 0
1600: 0
1850: -4
2300: -5
2900: 0
4400: 0
5000: -1.5
6200: +1.5
7500: +2
8400: +1
9500: -3.5
10300: -5
11000: 0

This tames them down a lot, so they're not ideal for everything (especially if you like the aggressiveness of the mids when left alone). Chances are that it won't work for you since the treble spikes were in different places for me than reported elsewhere. If the treble still seems grainy after applying this, try going here: https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ and hunting around for where the treble gets louder around the 10kHz area, and then changing the frequencies accordingly. Although it goes without saying that this is done with my ear, I was essentially trying to get a neutral response at all frequencies - the actual EQ i'm using is more or less the same, but with the 2kHz region EQ'd down a bit less (-2 and -3 instead of -4 and -5, which leaves a bit of an emphasis).

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #5,726 of 6,345
My hearing has been increasingly sensitive for the last couple weeks, so I got these headphones as close to neutral as I really wanted with little hassle. Here's the EQ I'm using right now (if I feel like listening to something neutral rather than AKG'd to hell). Done using the standard EQapo editor.

pre: -4.5

30: +4
60: 0
1600: 0
1850: -4
2300: -5
2900: 0
4400: 0
5000: -1.5
6200: +1.5
7500: +2
8400: +1
9500: -3.5
10300: -5
11000: 0

This tames them down a lot, so they're not ideal for everything (especially if you like the aggressiveness of the mids when left alone). Chances are that it won't work for you since the treble spikes were in different places for me than reported elsewhere. If the treble still seems grainy after applying this, try going here: https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ and hunting around for where the treble gets louder around the 10kHz area, and then changing the frequencies accordingly. Although it goes without saying that this is done with my ear, I was essentially trying to get a neutral response at all frequencies - the actual EQ i'm using is more or less the same, but with the 2kHz region EQ'd down a bit less.

looks good, similar to the eq curve of Sonarworks ref 4 k712 preset. not exactly but similar. with sonarworks, using the ur22 as dac > into the bt928 amp> then playing music using foobar2000 and the ASIO plugin - i can say that they sound almost like a better verson of HD650.
signature is much much closer after the sonarworks correction -but the extra bass extension make them even more suitable for the things the hd650 was meant for.
so my point is, which proper power and in my case, sonarworks, they do the job of hd650 but much better , imo.

Jun 5, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #5,727 of 6,345
coming to the point myself when its time to upgrade. ive now realised my monitors are better, more flat and more pleasant, while also more accurate.
except the sub. the sub-monitoring of the k712 is the only real reason id use them anymore, so , im going the route of actually thinking of selling them myself.
i just cant enjoy them the same anymore, after i did conclusive and detailed a/b with my monitors (a noname brand from 96, 45-20k passive) and just realised the enjoyment factor no longer lies in k712, but my speakers.

so - why keep them , just for monitoring sub? i guess. but i could go for a much cheaper pair than this one, for that.

what do these go for now adays, second hand? one user? goód condition on both box and can? just curious. if its not worth it, ill just prob keep them for now, as without them id have no way of checking sub....

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #5,728 of 6,345
coming to the point myself when its time to upgrade. ive now realised my monitors are better, more flat and more pleasant, while also more accurate.
except the sub. the sub-monitoring of the k712 is the only real reason id use them anymore, so , im going the route of actually thinking of selling them myself.
i just cant enjoy them the same anymore, after i did conclusive and detailed a/b with my monitors (a noname brand from 96, 45-20k passive) and just realised the enjoyment factor no longer lies in k712, but my speakers.

so - why keep them , just for monitoring sub? i guess. but i could go for a much cheaper pair than this one, for that.

what do these go for now adays, second hand? one user? goód condition on both box and can? just curious. if its not worth it, ill just prob keep them for now, as without them id have no way of checking sub....

Fwiw I sold my pair (also very good condition) for NOK 1,500 (including shipping) on the Norwegian version of Blocket a couple of months ago.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #5,730 of 6,345
thank you! should yield similar results in Sweden then! Ha det fint :)

No problem, I think so as well. Lycka till med försäljningen.

I'm originally Swedish :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back