The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #5,581 of 6,349
In short: the only thing that has convinced me fully of AKG is comfort and weight, otherwise I feel really disappointed.
Which kind of headphone could be the right choice for me?
Do you think I've to wait for a little bit of warm-in? I do not expect the situation to change drastically.

The sound signature will definitely not change, maybe the bass will come up the tinniest bit but almost imperceptible. I would say that maybe the Magni Uber 2 is a bit bright? But that's not it, I can find my K712s bright in some tracks even when paired with R2R which is said to be a bit bassy. If you don't like them I suggest you return them asap and buy planar magnetics, you can find some good ones cheaper than the K712s. Monolith's M1060's come to mind, but I don't like modding. But yeah, planars will give you that punch and impact you want on games and the Magni 2 would be enough power imo. I find more enjoyment listening music on great quality Chinese underground IEMs than on the K712s nowadays, always come this (-) close to selling them, but when someone offers I just say nah and throw them back in the drawer.

EDIT: Not really bright but uncomfortable compared to the silky highs of HD600s

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #5,582 of 6,349
yeah people overhype the k712. they are not spectacular.
but people buy them - time and time again - even if they dont do music production.
people say they are audiophile grade - and people even buy them for gaming.!!!

i wonder, if people really are this stupid or if they are trolling.
besides, who ever told you k712 has the widest soundstage under 1000?
the k701 is far far wider.

anyway, if you buy the k712 for anything other than music production you are stupid. there are much better alternatives if you just want to listen - and especially if you want gaming.

Nov 21, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #5,583 of 6,349
but people buy them - time and time again - even if they dont do music production.

anyway, if you buy the k712 for anything other than music production you are stupid. there are much better alternatives if you just want to listen - and especially if you want gaming.

No one in this forum told me that the k712 has the widest soundstage under 1000, I just read this kind of information googling. In particular, I read that k702 has just a little bit wider soundstage and that you need to buy something like HD800 to have a wider soundstage.
Which model do you suggest for replacing the K712 to listen to the music or gaming?

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #5,585 of 6,349
Read some posts here and just wanted to share my thoughts.
I've owned both the AKG K712 and Sennheiser HD700 in 2015/16 and spent lots of time listening to them, only gave them away because I found a used Austrian-made K702 on ebay for £95 ($120). K702 is my favourite open-back headphone for listening to music on my hifi setup. I sometimes use it to watch films with as it is good at that too, but I would never use it for gaming! It is much too neutral for that, the K712 is a much better alternative for gaming..also because it's easier to drive with amps.
Of the HD700 and K712, I preferred the K712. The HD700 was just too thin sounding for me to like it, whereas the K712 was fuller, with deep/accurate bass, strong mid's and clear, smooth high's. Furthermore, to get the best performance from the HD700 you really need to invest at least $400 or $500 on a good enough amp. Even at that, I still preferred the K712.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #5,587 of 6,349
hello friends
after owning these for a good 3-4 months now, i am very impressed all in all by their consistency.
the image is decent - not particularily wide. bass is really good, its like a subwoofer, almost. you can feel the air.
but, it should be a little louder imho.

treble is good. could use slightly less in the 6-9k area.
could use slightly more for the sparkle - 16k+ area.

all in all very good
edit: i use them for mastering btw - and they are better than my passive 43hz-20khz monitors i have. they give more honesty and detail, especially the bass; than those and those sound really really flat.
so thats quite an accomplishment - no other headphone ive tried has been this good vs. speakers

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #5,589 of 6,349
My cable is cutting out, anyone know what the connector is called and if I did manage to pull this one apart is it a case of just shortening the wires a bit and clamping them back in or is it a soldering job. It's an aftermarket litz cable, one of the wires must be broken as the left ear cuts out, the thing jabs on my shoulder as I'm sat down when listening and bends the damn cable there.

Thanks guys.

Dec 31, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #5,590 of 6,349
My cable is cutting out, anyone know what the connector is called and if I did manage to pull this one apart is it a case of just shortening the wires a bit and clamping them back in or is it a soldering job. It's an aftermarket litz cable, one of the wires must be broken as the left ear cuts out, the thing jabs on my shoulder as I'm sat down when listening and bends the damn cable there.

Thanks guys.

3-pin Female Mini-XLR

https://oidiosound.co.uk/diy/connectors/black-mini-xlr.html

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #5,592 of 6,349
anyone try balancing these yet? seems like a fairly easy thing to do.
im SERIOUSLY considering getting the pro-ject headbox ds2 b; but, afaik it has balanced inputs but not balanced for its headphone out.
or rather, it doesnt.
so im looking to getting into a fully balanced-drive headphone setup. i dont care if you people say its placebo.
so im trying to get into that, and the first step would obviously be to mod the headphones to balanced.
and, afaik its not difficult.
appreciate any tips.,

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #5,593 of 6,349

For the sake of clarity and to help out some new people looking to get these for gaming. This is a pretty ridiculous post imo. I own 15+ headphones all midfi and hifi cans and I my K712 definitely stand out for competitive gaming. If you're looking for headphones for casual gaming then there are cheaper and better options available. These are great for competitive gaming. They have a very wide soundstage complimented by their sound signature. To say that people are stupid for buying these for gaming is probably the most ridiculous thing I've read on headfi. I can't tell if this post is in fact a poor attempt at trolling or just ignorance. Either way don't hesitate to buy these for gaming, there's not many that can compete with k712 in their price range.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #5,595 of 6,349
Hi, I'm doing a little comeback since I'm not really active on this forum. I was complaining about the lack of bass. I have the 62ohm type. Since I have a new studio interface that have an headphone output of 60ohms, the akg sound great, with enough bass, very revealing. I'm happy now :) Take care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back