The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #3,796 of 6,349
Right!
I wrote pretty detailed notes (and a review) when I went from my 3-year familiar AD700 to my Q701, on my Creative Recon3D USB DAC/DSP with the headphone out going to a FiiO E5 for amping, or same amp connected to a 5th gen iPod with a LOD adapter.

I felt, on that setup, I gave up a tiny bit of soundstage on the Q, but also gained a bit of bass and "musical engagement" in the Mids and highs (which now I'd say was due to better PRaT, and less brittle). It was pretty close considering the Q at the time cost me 2x what I paid for the AD700. The more engaging personality won me over, but I kept both for months. Later, I got a custom tube hybrid amp, and from the iPod's line out WOAH BIG IMPROVEMENT, not a high % but a pleasurable improvement in all areas and the Q701 simply scaled and elevated higher than the AD700, at that point I felt like I had equivalent soundstage without giving up on having better everything else, and the AD700 really sounded boring in comparison.

I've stuck with AKG since, and still have my K612 and K712, preferred over more bassy headphones or more V-shaped headphones, HE-400 and HD700 were good but ultimately AKG were more my taste, nothing beat the AKG sound for me until my astonishing vintage Stax. I still intend to keep one AKG though for simple setup and better Earpad comfort.

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #3,797 of 6,349
Hi, I was directed here to ask this. I've had my K712's since December when I found them on sale after getting tired of headsets. I use them for listening to different types of music from Hardstyle, Metal, Rock, Classic, Dubstep, pop and also use them for gaming. I'm currently looking for a DAC and AMP to drive them. At the moment they're running from my pc which has a Realtek ALC 1150 and OPA1652 AMP.
It seems pretty random at times where the bass is there. Sometimes I'll have a nice bass and other times its missing which I assume is the PC is having trouble supplying the power needed. I can max out Spotify and windows volume slider and 90% of my songs will be and ok listening volume.

What is a good DAC and AMP for the K712's? I've been looking around and found audiobot9000. My Budget is $500 CAD$ as of now but Depending how much I have left after I get my new PC case it might go up to $550-$600 CAD$ budget. I don't know if I like tubes as I don't know where in Alberta I can take my headphones and try them. I've only ever used onboard audio so I'll assume I've never heard them before.  
Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #3,798 of 6,349
I'd consider an Audio-GD NFB-11 or NFB-15, Schiit Modi 2 Uber + Magni Uber or Asgard 2 for popular SS options that are versatile. For tubes, you'd want a hybrid, Garage 1217 offers some, the Schiit Vali I've heard isn't the best pairing, Project has some as well. Haven't heard any of them, fwiw :wink:.

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #3,799 of 6,349
Asgard 2 was something that caught my eye, since I've heard of Schiit from other places and it was on the audiobot list. A question about Amps with power switches I forgot to ask in my post, is it ok to leave the power switch on or do I have to turn the unit off when I'm not using it/my pc?

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #3,800 of 6,349
It's a full Class A amp, which likes to run hot, and sounds better when it's warm. Most circuits should - capacitors and such are often placed near high power transistors in circuits to steal warmth for this reason. As long as it's not heating your space to the point of you being bothered, you could probably leave in on all the time. I turn my Class A A-GD amp off at night, then leave it on for most of the day when I'm home. I can tell a difference in smoothness when it's warm.

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #3,802 of 6,349
At least 0.25W into the 62 ohms is recommended. My amp does about a Watt I think, which provides enough headroom for quiet tracks and sources.

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #3,803 of 6,349

So they are just the same pads as the anni version?

Here you go :) [from this thread, many pages ago] 

So they are just the same pads as the anni version?

Well, yes and no.  Both are similar in that they are velour over memory foam, but from photos in this thread (and reviews elsewhere) they seem to *ship* with slightly different pads.  Same with the K612.

However AKG lists the exact same *replacement* part for all three.

5021871                $47.55each pad                 CUSHION, K 612,K 712,K702_Anniversary

Was reading through these old posts and wanted to clear up some things.

The early production of the K702 anniversary had different pads from the later production of the K702 anniversary. The later production are also the same pads as the K712 and K7XX. So it seems that AKG made 1 iteration of these pads as some point during the K702 anniversary production.

To summarize: AKG K702 anniversary (late production) = AKG K712 = AKG K7XX

Which are different form AKG K702 (early production).

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #3,804 of 6,349

Was reading through these old posts and wanted to clear up some things.

The early production of the K702 anniversary had different pads from the later production of the K702 anniversary. The later production are also the same pads as the K712 and K7XX. So it seems that AKG made 1 iteration of these pads as some point during the K702 anniversary production.

To summarize: AKG K702 anniversary (late production) = AKG K712 = AKG K7XX

Which are different form AKG K702 (early production).

The pads are the same as the K712 on the newer Annies, but the K712 still sounds a bit different than the newer Annies. The K7XX equals the newer Annies but it still seems to be a bit different than the K712. Some reason the drivers seem to be tuned slightly differently on the K712 as even after pad swapping with others of the K7 family the K712 still sounds different. Comparing the newer Annies and the K712 to me was like comparing the HD 600 to the HD 650, similar but there are some subtle differences. Basically I found the newer Annies to have slightly more forward mids and the K712 slightly more v-shaped. The soundstaging and imaging was also a bit different though similar in size.

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #3,805 of 6,349
Hi Forum

I currently own the NFB11 & NFB15, and the Q701 & K712 Pro.

I would like to try out tube amping and am looking at either the Lyr 2 or the Project Ember to pair with the above equipment.

From going through the forums it would appear that both the Lyr 2 and the Project Ember are really good hybrids that work wonders for both the Q701s and the K712s.

On first glance, the Project Ember seems a very attractive option:

– The Project Ember (including UK shipping) works out about £100 cheaper than the Lyr 2
– The Project Ember only needs 1 tube as opposed to 2 tubes, and the tube is really easy to change 
– The Project Ember is said to match wonderfully with Qs and the Ks, with the appropriate tube

However, I am not just interested in functionality or the price; I am interested in sound quality. One thing I noticed was that the Project Ember is not an A Class amp, whereas the Schiit Lyr 2 is one – I was therefore wondering whether the Lyr 2's A Class status makes it better somehow than the Project Ember's non- A Class status, and if so, then how exactly?

There is also the point that the Lyr 2 uses two tubes, whereas Project Ember only uses one. I was wondering therefore what were the pros and cons of one tube hybrids vs two tube hybrids?

Clearly, I can see that the Project Ember would be the cheaper option down the line once I start tube rolling, since only a single tube would be required. However, would only having one tube as opposed to two affect the sound in some way? If it does, would someone please be able to explain to me how?

Thanks for reading my ramblings and I hope someone can help!

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #3,806 of 6,349
K712 Pro are my baseline headphones I compare to all others.  Not necessarily headphones I like most, but ones I recognize as being the best/neutral of my collection. 

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #3,807 of 6,349
  Hi Forum

I currently own the NFB11 & NFB15, and the Q701 & K712 Pro.

I would like to try out tube amping and am looking at either the Lyr 2 or the Project Ember to pair with the above equipment...

First off, I'd like to ask, do you find the 11 pairs best with the 712 and the 15 with the 701? That's what I hear from most people, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I'd go with the Ember because of the cost, and use the 11 as my DAC. I'd also consider what headphones you might like to purchase in the future, and then base your decision on that if the Lyr or Ember pairs better with that headphone.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #3,808 of 6,349
  First off, I'd like to ask, do you find the 11 pairs best with the 712 and the 15 with the 701? That's what I hear from most people, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I'd go with the Ember because of the cost, and use the 11 as my DAC. I'd also consider what headphones you might like to purchase in the future, and then base your decision on that if the Lyr or Ember pairs better with that headphone.

I will let you know as soon as the K712s actually arrive and I have a chance to do a test... (thanks to Easter, they seem to have been delayed longer than they should have been). But it depends what you want, really - the 701s paired with the 11s are fantastic for gaming, but are not so great for listening to music. Paired with the 15s, though, the 701s are much better to listen to music on, but the sound is still not quite pleasing enough, hence the reason I am looking to tube them.  

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #3,809 of 6,349
I just received my K712 pros today from E.Global for a very good price of £160. I noticed my don't say they are manufactured in Austria however. They are manufactured in Slovakia. Is this normal?
eek.gif

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #3,810 of 6,349
  I just received my K712 pros today from E.Global for a very good price of £160. I noticed my don't say they are manufactured in Austria however. They are manufactured in Slovakia. Is this normal?
eek.gif

That is what mine said. I got mine about a month ago. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back