The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #3,362 of 6,349
Yes, it has a similar character to the Q but more refined. The K712 isn't as good a bargain as the Q, but long term the K712 is the one to get/keep.

Yea, I don't find the Q701 to have as much bass as the K712, the Q701 is older than the K712 by about a year, my K712 has a good amount more bass. But yes the K712 is without a doubt more refined, I found the difference in refinement immediate, I guess my ears are becoming better at telling differences in headphones. When I had only the Q701 I always felt they were missing something the K712 had and I realized that it was refinement when I got the K712 back. I honestly think the K712 is a league above the rest of my headphones. The HD 600, DT 150, and Q701 seem to be all around the same league as each other. The K612 is slightly below those three. The Fostex T50RP is actually quite refined but have some serious resonance issues. The Q701 is the better deal but the K712 is better in the long run like you said.

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #3,363 of 6,349
Me and two others (on separate occasions) have compared my Q701 vs my K712... and agree that MY Q701 has stronger bass than my K712 (or BunnyNamedFrank's K712, ours sound basically the same). This is with each headphone's respective stock pads. I think it's pad burn-in or driver burn-in.

"Problem" is, I don't know what else I'd like as an upgrade.

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #3,364 of 6,349
Me and two others (on separate occasions) have compared my Q701 vs my K712... and agree that MY Q701 has stronger bass than my K712 (or BunnyNamedFrank's K712, ours sound basically the same). This is with each headphone's respective stock pads. I think it's pad burn-in or driver burn-in.

That is interesting. Because my friend also found my K712 to have more bass than her Q701 even when both had K712 pads on them.

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #3,366 of 6,349

I concur. It was noticeable immediately.

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #3,368 of 6,349
OK, picked up a pair of these today as I just really liked their sound and I thought the price was not bad for Canada. I also own a pair of Q701 that I have done the hole mod to. Comparing both they are very similar but the K712 seems to have slightly punchier bass and is overall a bit more detailed and sharp. Having said that I would say if you don't more detail and clarity because you find it fatiguing or a bit unrealistic then the Q701 at its current price is a no brainer. I was planning to sell my Q701 to help pay for the K712 Pro but I may decide to keep both. But overall I prefer the K712 more. The differences are not huge but I enjoy those changes quite a bit. The added edge in the mid-range and clarity enhance the imaging just that much more. I am currently playing with my amps to see which I like the best and will have a C5 review sample next week to also play with so should have a good idea of what my final setup will be like shortly there after.

I was kicking around the idea of trying the new Sony Z7 but after listening to the K712 and the Sony 7520 I just had to be honest with myself as to what type of signature I prefer. I like the bass of the Sony's but I just need more from the mids and treble. So will play with the Cayin C5 bass boost when that amp comes and see if that will give me the bass kick I want for the odd song I own that would benefit from that treatment. Otherwise all my Jazz, accoustic, old rock, Celtic, classical and more music just sound better from the K712.

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #3,369 of 6,349
  OK, picked up a pair of these today as I just really liked their sound and I thought the price was not bad for Canada. I also own a pair of Q701 that I have done the hole mod to. Comparing both they are very similar but the K712 seems to have slightly punchier bass and is overall a bit more detailed and sharp. Having said that I would say if you don't more detail and clarity because you find it fatiguing or a bit unrealistic then the Q701 at its current price is a no brainer. I was planning to sell my Q701 to help pay for the K712 Pro but I may decide to keep both. But overall I prefer the K712 more. The differences are not huge but I enjoy those changes quite a bit. The added edge in the mid-range and clarity enhance the imaging just that much more. I am currently playing with my amps to see which I like the best and will have a C5 review sample next week to also play with so should have a good idea of what my final setup will be like shortly there after.

I was kicking around the idea of trying the new Sony Z7 but after listening to the K712 and the Sony 7520 I just had to be honest with myself as to what type of signature I prefer. I like the bass of the Sony's but I just need more from the mids and treble. So will play with the Cayin C5 bass boost when that amp comes and see if that will give me the bass kick I want for the odd song I own that would benefit from that treatment. Otherwise all my Jazz, accoustic, old rock, Celtic, classical and more music just sound better from the K712.

I find the K712 a bit aggressive sounding myself, that's one thing I like a lot about the headphone. I feel the Q701 isn't as punchy or as aggressive as the K712. Problem is the Q701 just doesn't seem to fit into my listening moods, it's a little too bright and doesn't have the dynamics I enjoy from the K712. I'm not always in the mood for the aggressive sound, but that's what the HD 600 is for. The aggressive K712 and the relaxed HD 600 fill in all my listening needs. I am not sure if I want the Z7 anymore either as I'm not sure if it's to my preference either.

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #3,370 of 6,349
I hear you, I may keep something with a relaxed sound around for when I don't want the aggressive sound. The good news is I have a few options to fill that mood. I really want to like the Z7 because I think it looks good and the idea of a 70mm driver but I just have a feeling from the impressions given so far that I will find it just misses the mark in areas like the dynamics you mentioned.

BTW I will be returning the pair I just bought tomorrow (bought an opened box at the store so they won't be hurt by my return). Amazon has these on sale and will ship to Canada at a price of only $348.72 which saved me $150 which is just to much to pass up on.

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #3,371 of 6,349
Just received the K712 today. Listening with AK100->Vorzuge Pure II (on medium gain). Definitely fuller and more bass than the Q701.

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #3,372 of 6,349
Don't bother with Fiio E10K by itself. E10K + E11K(high gain) is not bad, but not in the same league as the AK100 + Pure II.

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #3,373 of 6,349
  You sir, have made my observations abundantly clear, and no I’m not dishing vintage receivers (loved my Marantz 1070 as a head-amp) but we do then get into subjective preferences.
The AKGs as I stated (this is the AKG K712s thread) will be more than happy to receive extra wattage and current which most vintage receivers supply in abundance and less finicky if the amp is warm or “bleached and analytical” as you say, the HD700s will easily IMHO reveal an amps character and is more temperamental (no where near that of the HD800 though)

Curious if the lcd2s were balanced when using the Bryston BHA-1 as I find that my K712s do fall short, especially bass, with the single ended connection and a single ended source (not enough juice), a balanced source such as my Bryston BCD-1 does add an additional 3dbs and helps but the HD700s balanced sound very good.

I own a set of akg 701s with literally thousands of hours on them and I have never heard any dedicated headphone amp that sounds as powerful as my recapped concept receiver  ( save perhaps the ray samuels darkstar amplifier)  and natural sounding as my concept receiver with the 701s. The akgs 701s are a very difficult load for any amplifier. Having owned them and having put thousands of hours on them I am very familiar with them and with their capabilities and I have heard the bryston with them and it is more than opinion. The concept smokes the bryston for power output into the akg 701s. And I believe the 712s are more sensitive than my old 701s . In the event my 701s do give up the ghost I am going to be interested in auditioning a pair of them.
   If you heard the concept receiver  with the k 701s they are definitely not lacking in the bass department. But to be fair the concept 16.5 was one of the most powerful sounding receivers from the days of the power races in receiver design. The unit uses two 7 amp fuses so I am not talking gibberish. The receiver takes the headphone output off the main amp and just pads it down. The receiver put out 160 watts rms into 8 ohms and 240 watts rms into 4 ohms. The unit has a forty step attenuator volume control and the loudest I dare listen at is on the fifth step up from minimum. So the receiver just loafs with my headphone. I have to say the same thing about my lcd2 v2s I have never heard them sound as powerful with any headphone amp I have heard them on .I am using a cable pro reverie headphone leash on them. As I stated before I actually prefer the 701s in some ways because they reflect the original recording in regards to total accuracy.

Oct 8, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #3,375 of 6,349

I find the K712 a bit aggressive sounding myself, that's one thing I like a lot about the headphone. I feel the Q701 isn't as punchy or as aggressive as the K712. Problem is the Q701 just doesn't seem to fit into my listening moods, it's a little too bright and doesn't have the dynamics I enjoy from the K712. I'm not always in the mood for the aggressive sound, but that's what the HD 600 is for. The aggressive K712 and the relaxed HD 600 fill in all my listening needs. I am not sure if I want the Z7 anymore either as I'm not sure if it's to my preference either.

Interesting, haven't heard the Q701's but I found the K712s much smoother  and better balanced than my stock K701s and were very similar to my HD580/600 but with more extension and body in the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back