The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Oct 21, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,131 of 6,349
  Haven't really read your arguments in the last pages, but I ordered the K712 a few hours ago so I'll have something to say, probably next week.

I'm tempted to buy one despite the extra price premium over the Q701.
This pair is a demo and I've been looking forward to hearing it again when I get out of work.

Guess i'll start saving my pennies..

It'd be easier to buy it if I sold my Q701 but that's not happening!

It'd be interesting to see which one gets more use in a year..

If I didn't have the Q701 I'd probably buy a K712 Pro. Not sure..

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #2,132 of 6,349
*yawn*

I heard the Q701 + Annie pads just fine... and also the Anniversary, itself, just fine.

I currently hear the K712 just fine. While there are differences between these, they are extremely subtle and almost unnoticeable without having them side by side.

My reasons for switching are because of my OCD ways... not because I didn't like them.

You, however, completely disliked the Anniversary but love the K712. Very ironic considering how similar they are. That is what my argument was about.

THE END

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2,134 of 6,349

I don't mind criticism. Do you see me getting angry about anything here? None of it bothers me, but you're a bit annoying. I'm talking normally and replying to every post. What do you want from me?
I was thinking you're just upset that I didn't hear the K712 Pro like you? I'm sorry that it's not bassy and dark for me.

I actually don't even know what you were complaining about this whole time. Not that it matters.

Instead of saying garbage like "we're talking to a brick wall" you should have left and found something else to do. That's my idea of moving on. I should have done that too instead of posting this nonsense.

I'm not going to reply to any more of your posts.

blink.gif

cool story bro

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #2,137 of 6,349
  I would appreciate some additional contributions from others who have compared the K712 and Q701, or modded Q701.

There is really no comparison IMHO between stock Q701 and K712 Pro... Even though I enjoy HD800 the most, I am saying K712 Pro are definitely the better headphones. If you want AKG headphones, wait for K812 impressions or get K712 Pro.

To be more precise: Take Q701 and fix all their problems... You've got K712 Pro.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #2,138 of 6,349

There is really no comparison IMHO between stock Q701 and K712 Pro... Even though I enjoy HD800 the most, I am saying K712 Pro are definitely the better headphones. If you want AKG headphones, wait for K812 impressions or get K712 Pro.

To be more precise: Take Q701 and fix all their problems... You've got K712 Pro.

Fix all their problems? You mean make it have more or different colorations to match your sound preferences?
K712 Pro really isn't a dramatic/major improvement over the Q701. For that you would need an entire new driver but I guess it's a step in the right direction.
IMO there is no such "Best" headphone for everyone.

Depends on what someone wants. K712 Pro is a good one to pick, but there may be a few who still like the Q701 even more.
Even stock there is still something special about the Q701. Perhaps the K712 Pro is a better all-around for those that need the extra bass/warmth. If they don't, nothing wrong with the Q701.

K712 Pro to me is more like...give it the best drivers, fix headband and give it new pads...rather then actually fixing anything. Nothing wrong with that. IMO there is nothing to fix unless you mean not enough bass/warmth for some.

Pretty sure the K712 Pro didn't require hundreds of hours of work from AKG to come up with. Maybe about two..j/k..I think

Disclaimer: Yes, I still like the K712 Pro a lot.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #2,139 of 6,349
  I would appreciate some additional contributions from others who have compared the K712 and Q701, or modded Q701.

I think the Q701 is a much more technically accurate/detailed/revealing headphone. The K712 is a little more fun/bassier/relaxed in comparison. Also noticed my Q701 is more revealing of the source material and the DAC I was using, which to me means it scales better. 

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #2,140 of 6,349

I think the Q701 is a much more technically accurate/detailed/revealing headphone. The K712 is a little more fun/bassier/relaxed in comparison. Also noticed my Q701 is more revealing of the source material and the DAC I was using, which to me means it scales better. 

I've heard some stuff on my Q701 that's not there on the K712. Basically it's due to the pads I think (could hear it on the K712 with swapped pads perhaps). I didn't mention any of it in my review because it's extremely subtle stuff.
It makes sense why a warmer and slightly more bassy headphone would seem to have a little less detail.

When you're sitting there listening for fun almost nobody is going to notice. If I was in a studio I would use the Q701 maybe or both. Honestly I think I'd take the modded Q701 over either. It sounds the flattest to me. K712 is close though.

I can't hear much of a difference between my (budget) DACs with the Q701 or K712. The T90 was the first headphone I've had where I felt I could hear more subtle differences between my DACs than before. Not sure why.

Actually I find the K712 Pro and Q701 to be somewhat forgiving of low bit-rate files (like 192kbps) with the Modi, but less so with the Micro DAC. I never found the Q701 super revealing or ultra detailed. The DT-880 (and T90) sounded more like that to me. I don't want to put my music under a Microscope.

I've noticed on the K712 the best recordings in my collection sound clearer. Nothing to do with bit-rate. I think it's due to the better measuring drivers of the K712. No clue.

If I ever got the K712 I would keep both the K712 and modded Q701!

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #2,141 of 6,349

I still have my Q701 alongside my K712. Still analyzing, though not anal-izing yet; the problem (strength?) of both these headphones for me is that invariably I get carried away just listening. So, I haven't even listened to them back-to-back yet to highlight their differences, all I can say conclusively is the K712 headband (though less broad) is more comfortable, and the coiled cable has been very convenient for me... Some things I want to explore more before confirming it:

1. It seems like I suffer less harshness when I plug the K712 directly into a weak amp, eg: the guns on a CoD4 chopper seem less glaring on my K712 than my Q701 when either are plugged directly into my Recon3D USB, and also

2. Both headphones scale up a fair bit when hooked up to nice gear, but it seems that even "poorly" amped (straight into the Recon3D USB or iPod/iPhone) the K712 is closer to "the goal." Surround with the Q701 has inferior separation and depth to the K712 when both are "unamped."

2.5 I think it's easier to have a wider range of amps create a "circular" soundstage with the K712 with an obvious sense of frontal depth, though my tube amp helps either headphone in this regard, although this impression may just be coming from me being super-impressed and satisfied with what I am hearing with my Voskhod, I haven't done an A/B comparison to highlight the difference yet. The K712+E12 combo surprised me because frontal depth was better with this amp than I'd been used to before, that's my strongest case for this theory.

3. I haven't yet been able to hear a detail on one headphone that I haven't heard on the other yet, just a slight re-ordering of which instruments sound more prominent.

4. Really hard to gauge without measurements, but I think the two driver sides are better balanced with each other? This could explain why frontal imaging seems better on the K712.

... I reserve the right to clarify or change my opinion on these, as I become better informed.

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #2,143 of 6,349
Evshrug,
I notice you didn't mention bass or warmth.

Are your Q701 phones modded?

They are not. What you're looking for is at the end of point 3... the FR response tweak brings other instruments to hold more of my attention (more prominent), but I wouldn't say it becomes a different type of headphone (dark, basshead, v-shaped, fun-colored, etc). I'm not really ready to quantify, because I only recently got my ears adjusted seriously anal-izing between the Q701 and Sony's MA900. Right now I think my impressions are colored vs what I heard on the MA900 too, and over the past week I've just been listening to the K712 for fun, and getting to know him/it.

I'm not sure everyone means the same thing when they use the term "warm," and I think something I'd describe as warm would be further from natural-sounding than I'd like. On its own though, I'd say the K712 isn't a cold headphone, but rather a very involving and toe-tapping headphone while also detailed AND doesn't fatigue me. The sound is wonderfully balanced while also having something special, to me.

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #2,144 of 6,349
  I bet you that if I had a stock K712 Pro vs Q701 with K712 pads i'd prefer the K712 PRO. I think I said this a very long time ago.

I compared my K712 Pro with my mod Q701 (with the same pads as K712 Pro use). It's only a little difference - but I prefer the K712 pro.

compairing K712 with Q701 (using the K712 pads) The K712 have a bit more (fuller) bass as my Q701 with the pads from the K712 - but its very hard to catch, the music sample must be right. 

The K712 plays the "creaking" ("knarzen" in german) of the chello a little but more succinctly as the Q701 (with both implementations of pads tested).

These differences are very small - I will test them on an other day again to confirm my own impression.

My used test samples for this: "AUDIOphile Pearls Volume 1" http://www.musik-sammler.de/media/817284 

Meyer Records Vol. 1 http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Meyer-Records-Vol-1/hnum/7495951 
Compareing K712 <--> Q701 (with K712 Pads)
K712 - bass is a bit deeper, a bit more resolved, free.
In the long time test (I heard quite a few of my CDs "up and down" in the meantime) the K712 revealed a fatigue-free listening. All images were played back in great detail. The bass seems "the right place" and is not bloated (what with the D7000 occasionally occurs).
The K712 affords no noticeable weaknesses. Otherwise error in the images are very probably noticeably - yes finally, that must be the meaning of Studio Headphones (the main purpose of the K712 Pro).
Roger Waters, Amused To Death, Tr. 12 "Three Wishes"
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Roger-Waters-Amused-To-Death/hnum/1594911
K712 vs. Q701 with flat (K712 like) Pads
The hiss of the basin (brass) appears a bit more terse and a bit better resolved with the K712.
The deep roar of the Three Wishes comes with a bit more pressure at the K712.
In my compareson tests, mostly I play short sequences of a few bars again alternating with the two headphones.
For me the K712 ranks about the Q701 (both - original or K712 pads).
PS: You must seen all my test are subjektiv - for your own opinion you should compare this headphones self.
Less subjetive tests are ABX blind-tests with more persons - but this are hard to do with headphones

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #2,145 of 6,349

I compared my K712 Pro with my mod Q701 (with the same pads as K712 Pro use). It's only a little difference - but I prefer the K712 pro.

Believe it or not my bass port modded Q701 + K712 pads is slightly too bassy for me. Mostly extra mid-bass though that sticks out.  It's very fun but with some music it just sounds bad. Warm recordings are just not the same and actually worse. The low mids are fuller but at the same time too forward. I only listened to it for a half hour. Strangely the treble didn't sound reduced all that much. I don't know if my Q701 stock is bassier or warmer than other pairs but it's possible.

I will try to open up my Q701 grill and remove the foam and see if there is an improvement. I'll leave that for another thread though. I'm pretty sure when you open the outer grill of the Q701 more you get an impression of slightly more treble and more low bass. Basically ultra small difference that are barely audible. I could be wrong here. I prefer the Q701 with foam installed.

I'm pretty sure I would dislike a modded K712.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back