The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Dec 1, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #152 of 2,849
my headband does have the glue issue you mentioned. I have been pushing it back on the metal if it starts to pop off. It is one area that AKG should improve on for sure. But I will fix it myself if I decide these are keepers for me.

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #153 of 2,849
Thank you very much for your replies.

The adjustment issue(difference/not so good clicking to positions from the one side) was not a deal breaker for me,but the headband pad worried me because I think that some kind of cable pass through there,and if it got worse (unglued) I may had a problem.

The thing is that I paid 200 euro here in Greece for it,and I was not satisfied with these issues so I returned it back.

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #154 of 2,849
at that price I would have returned them as well, I paid $199 for my pair so will fix the glue. having said that I may reconsider my score of these for build quality. I think that metal center console must have the cable underneath it as I can not feel a cable under the padding.

So just hooked up my little tube amp and wow does it ever pair up with the K550 well. It adds a very nice warmth to the sound.

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #155 of 2,849
Quote:
Dweaver(and other 550 owners too),I had two small issues with build quality of my 550's,the first is that the headband pad was not so nice glued to the metal headband,leaving some kind of small gaps(basically at the two edges of the pad) between the headband and the pad,where you could also notice some glue.The second issue was that the left adjustment didn't click properly on the numbers,compared to the right one (both feeling and "click" sound).So I returned them and got money back,but I'm thinking of buying them again some time due to their great sound.
Did anyone else noticed the headband pad not so good glued to the headband,and with the adjustments to feel different one from the other?

I have a K550 and no problem with the headband nor with he adjustement.

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #157 of 2,849
Maybe you should return them for a replacement? The K550 is one of the most solidly built pair of cans I've ever owned. Though, they do scratch easily...

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #158 of 2,849
I think the seal issues with these cans is kind of making a mountain out of a mole hill IMO. I have a smaller than average head and I dont have issues with the fit. I can wear them with a great amount of comfort and no seal problems on the first two settings. For the sake of comparison, I wear my M50s and my DT990s most comfortably without having to expand the headband at all.

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #160 of 2,849
Quote:
I would be particularly interested to hear how your 550's compare to your B&W P5's. I enjoy listening to music on my P5's but for long listening sessions they don't work we'll for me at all (too uncomfortable) and tracks with a lot of brass, trumpets etc. at the forefront I cannot enjoy as they sound harsh to my ears.

You find the P5 harsh on brass and trumpets?  
confused_face(1).gif
 The 550 will kill you, then. And not in a good way.

Me, I find the P5 a bit soft in the upper mids and treble.

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #161 of 2,849
Quote:

You find the P5 harsh on brass and trumpets?  
confused_face(1).gif
 The 550 will kill you, then. And not in a good way.

Me, I find the P5 a bit soft in the upper mids and treble.

I heard the P5 as "what upper-mids and treble?" 
wink.gif

But really, I feel that a perception of "harshness" is caused more by a lack of articulation than an emphasis of a specific frequency range.  Both of the P5 and P3 sounded muddy and slow from top to bottom in my opinion -- far from the K550's clarity.

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #163 of 2,849
Quote:

I heard the P5 as "what upper-mids and treble?" 
wink.gif

But really, I feel that a perception of "harshness" is caused more by a lack of articulation than an emphasis of a specific frequency range.  Both of the P5 and P3 sounded muddy and slow from top to bottom in my opinion -- far from the K550's clarity.

I agree with you. And a lack of HF extension can make upper midrange/lower treble sound cold and bright. 

I've only had the K550 for a couple of days. One thing I have noticed is that hi-hats, cymbals and vocal sibilants tend to be emphasised. They really stick out of the mix on most recordings that have them. Hopefully this will tone down as they get run-in.

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #164 of 2,849
Quote:
P5 might be a hair brighter don't you think? I didn't get much time with it.

...could I be confusing it with the P3? (auditioned both back-to-back, liked neither... pretty looking, though)

Quote:

I've only had the K550 for a couple of days. One thing I have noticed is that hi-hats, cymbals and vocal sibilants tend to be emphasised. They really stick out of the mix on most recordings that have them. Hopefully this will tone down as they get run-in.

Don't expect a monumental change, but the high frequencies did smooth a bit after accruing some hours.  I still find, however, that some violins can get too close for comfort.

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #165 of 2,849
Nice to hear because the bass and midrange are lovely. Open and clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back