The AKG K 250 (history, pictures, and a review of this forgotten dynamic K 340/K 241 hybrid)
Jan 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #21 of 234

Quote:
zeno, do you mean the very first pairs of Sextetts that came out in the year 1975 (like, the first 100 pairs or whatever)? I checked out pictures of a few early Sextett pairs and they had the logo, same with the middle-period pairs and the later ones.

tyre, that diaphragm holder thing is pretty telling, though maybe it could also be a carry-over from the Sextett naming convention of that time? I checked out a few service docs (K 340, K 260, the modern K 240 one), and the name of the disc seems to vary quite a bit. It would be interesting to see the original 80s service doc for the K 241 and what the disc was called in that one, since the K 241 for sure didn't have any passive diaphragms ever. In the list of K 250 questions I sent to AKG about three weeks ago I asked whether the K 250 ever had a version with passive diaphragms, so hopefully some AKG person has something non-ambiguous to say about that.

I stand correctedthen....I am looking at a old brochure I got in November 1986 on some AKGs, and it shows the K-145s that were also Elecrostatic-Dynamic and they do not have any AKG on the headband of any logo at all on the ear pieces...They just have "Electrostatic-Dynamic Systems" in white on the headband, and a large red K145 at the bottom of the headband that extends down to the ear piece....

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #22 of 234
Vid, the differences between K240 DF and K241 are very subtle. On efficiency they are even: 5dB gain, 2/10 volume via the SRC2496. Until I have replacement K240-series padding I cannot be sure. For now it just sounds as if the K241 has a smidge more low end energy but do know that there is no padding between my ears and the driver except for the filters. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #23 of 234
Are you saying that there's no foam over the driver? If so, once you replace it, it should soften the highs somewhat....making it less bright than the DF. I'm surprised that there's only a subtle difference in the bass going from on to the other. I thought it would be more pronounced, like what I've read about the old 240M vs. DF

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #25 of 234
Quote:
Vid, the differences between K240 DF and K241 are very subtle. On efficiency they are even: 5dB gain, 2/10 volume via the SRC2496. Until I have replacement K240-series padding I cannot be sure. For now it just sounds as if the K241 has a smidge more low end energy but do know that there is no padding between my ears and the driver except for the filters. 

Thanks for the comparison – that sounds pretty interesting

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #26 of 234
Quote:
Are you saying that there's no foam over the driver? If so, once you replace it, it should soften the highs somewhat....making it less bright than the DF. I'm surprised that there's only a subtle difference in the bass going from on to the other. I thought it would be more pronounced, like what I've read about the old 240M vs. DF

The K240 Monitor and DF were siblings so to speak. Even if the differences were 'pronounced' on the whole we are still speaking of subtle differences. AKG experimented a lot if what I have read is correct. But again, the foam on the K241 is missing thus I cannot be conclusive. 

I will make a few checks with sweeps...

P.S. I find the K240 DF in no way bright by itself. If you want bright get a CD900 ST and prepare for microscope vision on your music...

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #27 of 234
wasn't the k241 a sextetts lp but with no passive drivers? just the filters? sounds interesting that you say they sounded similar. i haven't heard my 240DF's for like a month since they been sent out, but finally getting them back pretty soon,and then i gotten my main amp serviced and upgraded to a better interface which made a very nice difference, so wonder how they'll do on the new set-up. i remember though when i had mine they sounded similar to my sextetts lp i have, just the clarity on the Df's clearly was better, but can't say for sure till i get my Df's back. i have them balanced with 4-pin XLR since i drive them from speaker outputs.

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #28 of 234

nice info,but i saw that before. i tried so many times trying to e-mail AKG and trying to squeeze info out of them about the sextetts on how they were eq'ed and the DF's as well see if they have measurements and info. i gotten some info about my sextetts.

i gotten a PDF file i still have uploaded here:

http://s882.photobucket.com/albums/ac26/RexAeterna/akg240sextett/?albumview=slideshow

have to read it from right to left since way i uploaded it and cause the last page is actually the first. it shows the sextetts were measured in a free-field and explains a bit about it, but is cut off at the end it seems cause the guy at akg i emailed couldn't find the rest. they refused giving me any documentation on the 240DF and kept linking me to the k702 page. i don't want the k702! lol

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #29 of 234

Quote:
Quote:
The K240 Monitor and DF were siblings so to speak. Even if the differences were 'pronounced' on the whole we are still speaking of subtle differences. AKG experimented a lot if what I have read is correct. But again, the foam on the K241 is missing thus I cannot be conclusive. 

I will make a few checks with sweeps...

P.S. I find the K240 DF in no way bright by itself. If you want bright get a CD900 ST and prepare for microscope vision on your music...

The DF is definitely a little on the bright side with my set up. I think the 0404 DAC is known to be a bit bright. They're definitely lacking in the low end compared to the hd580. I thought the 'M' version was supposed to have a lot more bass than the DF, but that's only hearsay. I DO like the DF as a reference phone for the midrange....very true to life and flat/accurate with great clarity. At one point I was considering getting a better amp and a warmer DAC for them. Then I got the hd580 and that plan is now history.  I found a phone that does it all right....or close enough to not leave me searching for something better  

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #30 of 234
i found the bass on the DF perfect for me. not accentuated and had impact when the track called for it. they are bit bright if you remove the foam and the bass lightens up. i used replacement foam disc from my 240 studio had in since i never use my studios anymore(even not on the go) and the foam disc helps or can use thick speaker cloth cut out. it helped for me. also if your DF or any 240 model is not cleaned out from the rotted foam inside, it can affect the sound.

i had older pair of sextetts lp that sounded weird till i cleaned it out. the DF's i got had rotted foam also and sounded muffled and after i cleaned them out and replaced with new foam disc they sound like a new headphone. i still use my old sextetts ear pads and have a pair of spare sextett leather pads from my other dead sextetts had and now on the DF. still in good condition even though bit flat but solved that by sticking cotton balls underneath the pads to fluff them out. that can help too if you never done that. i didn't like the pleather stuff the studio used. felt hard and weird compared to my sextetts and DF's soft pads. the old sextett pads mold to your face as well trapping in a better seal. the studio pads don't do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back