The AK320 thread
Dec 20, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #706 of 743
The cdm sports dual Wolfson dacs. I have used them via USB out of my Mac Pro so they are definitely in there. According to the cdm thread where there are a good amount of users utilizing the ak as a transport ak did a update that allows for audio output through the USB. It is thought that is it a little known or understood function of the dap due to the bulk of the expense being in the dacs and amp circuit.

"All Android based AK DAPs support USB digital output. They updated firmware across the board about a year ago. Not sure how many owners use it that way considering much of the premium cost of an AK DAP is in the DAC and amp functions."

More intel about USB out in the cdm thread
User "haiku"
"
"In the Hong Kong high end circles there´s the unanimous opinion, that the AK380/320/300 usb output is the worst sounding, and the total true balance output is the best sounding. This is also my experience."

I don't hear any distortion. It works good. Just don't like the idea of double amping things. Here is an excerpt that I should have posted here...

The double amping is precisely what I'm worried about. What's the point in taking the clean signal from the AK320 and cranking it to the max(reducing battery life) and then reamping with the cdm.? What really happens when the "line out" option is selected in the 320 menue? Does anything really change or is it just wide open? This is the one thing I am not pleased about with my new ak 320 is the "appearance " on paper that it has a dedicated line out when in fact it's just the headphone out turned up 100% . The balanced out from the xlr's on the cradle are even tied to the headphone out level. No real gain there other than changing the connector type. What a useless gimmic . I can just order a set of trrs to xlrs and saved the money or even solder up a set my self .I think that is very misleading but I know this is the wrong place to vent about this. It does beg the question then ,what is the best gainstaging for this set up. Maybe it's no better or even worse for headroom to have the output cranked from the ak or dap? Maybe it's better to go 50/50 on the input to volume out of the cdm? Anyone have any experience trying different staging to the input? This had me looking around for a dap with a "real" dedicated out and not a "pseudo " line out. The onkyo DX-1a might have one but I can't tell again from just the adds. They all hide the dirty details behind flowery descriptions and let you find out the hard way.
I'm really liking the sound of the cdm with the mullards but finding the right way to integrate it into my system is proving to be a little challenging . I wish it had more resolving dacs then the choice would be obvious. I would then go digital in (preferably spdif) but no joy there either. Maybe I'm just making a big deal out of nothing because it does sound good paired with the ak but I just know there is more resolution to be had with a proper source feed from dap. Anyone have any ideas who makes a portable dap with this feature that sounds good? I got my wallet out !

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #707 of 743
Touché, shows how much I know
Probably why I’m a stereo guy anyway ...
I even had the CDM for a month, forgot it had a DAC!

Dec 22, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #708 of 743
So frustrated right now. touch screen totally stopped working. plays music just fine but i cant navigate or do anything. Anyone else have this happen???

cant get it even get it to properly turn off to reset because not matter how long i hold the button you need to hit OK on the screen.

edit: a quick search shows people have had similar issue where the screen dies completely, mine still has a working display but doesn't respond to touch at all.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #709 of 743
I see, and I´m sorry you have this problem.

This is the first time I read this issue, so I suppose it is not a common problem and, thus, you will have to send it to A&K for repairing.

Unfortunately, there´s no way to force a firmware installation so it can be factory restored. A couple of days ago I had this problem with a Garmin FR235. I knew it was on but the screen was commpletely black. Fortunately, I connected it to the computer and, since there was a firmware update available, after the update the screen was alive again.

So I suppose it is not a hardware problem and there will be no need to open it. It will probably need to restore the firmware which may be corrupted for any reason.

Good luck.

I fixed it!!! thanks to the above post as a good starting spot.

What did it for me was it turned it off by holding power for what felt like 30 seconds, then i plugged it into my computer before turning it back on.

when it finished booting up it worked perfectly. this is after ~4 boot cycles not plugged it

the hardest part was deciding to search the thread for the one right word, screen. all the world's problems are solved based on your ability to interface with a search engine.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #710 of 743
Well I'm having another serious problem now, but i suspect it isn't the player. I had the left channel stop working with balanced output. happened with no warning, dap and IEM's were working fine a few hours before, set the rig down on my desk, and next time i turn it on the left side just totally doesn't work. Checked the L/R balanced and reset the player with no results. I then swapped in the stock single ended cable and it works fine out of the SE output (both sides) swapped back the balanced and the left channel is dead again.

Thought i would ask here in case anyone had something similar. I suspect the problem is the used balanced cable i purchased on sale/trade. It had been working fine but it appears to have been re-terminated at sound point (seller never told me). I think the most likely problem is one of the connections wasn't properly soldered and it had just been resting in place this whole time. i'll probably looked for the cheapest balanced cable i can find just to test if its the cable or the player next.... so frustrating...

there was absolutely no drop or cable strain incident that could have cased this, thats why i'm not sure its the cable.

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #711 of 743
That sucks man.

But consider this: instead of buying another crappy cheap cable that may put you back in the same position again in the future, consider buying a better quality cable that would make you smile.

If the better new cable still has your left ear out, then return it for a full refund and you only pay a few bucks for shipping. And you can keep the crappy one for personal use.

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #712 of 743
Unfortunately that kind of problems are not exclusive of cheap cables. I have a Rhapsodio Dark Night which suddenly stopped working from the left side. Apparently one cable broke just close to the 2-pin connector. These things happen.

Dec 24, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #714 of 743
I agree.
But the OP is just trying to solve the problem of not knowing whether his Left ear out is due to the AK or his current cheap cables (his own words).

Buying and trying a new reliable cable would answer that First question of whether the cable is the culprit or not.

Just trying to help the OP figure out what the problem is, after that he can go back to his old cheap cables or buy more reliable cables, up to him. Not my judgment.
trouble-shooting 101.

And the OP keeps having problems with his AK, so the more he can figure out to find the culprit, the less likely he will have more problems in the future.

Dec 24, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #715 of 743
Based on my own experience, I think it’s more probable that the problem comes from the cable rather than from the DAP.

Dec 24, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #716 of 743
Here is what I would do... Find someone with a volt meter. They make very affordable ones or go to the hardware store where they might have one or any recording studio or electrician would as well. Test for continuity across the legs of the trrs connector by touching the probes to the legs that connect to the ear side and the other probe to the trrs untill you find out what goes to where, then repeat for the other side . If you don't get a beep it means you have a short in one of the legs of the cable. If it acts the same on both sides it's the ak unfortunately...

Dec 25, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #717 of 743
The cable that broke wasn't crap, it was a Rhapsodio Luna MK2. there's absolutely no damage. cable looked like it was in great shape until i tried unplugging the 2 pin connections and had the connectors slid apart in my fingers.

Cable is also ~43 inches long so i suspect someone re-terminated it and did a poor job, seller hasn't directly commented on this despite me asking. I'm just optimistic the DAP is working fine. My brother has a volt meter that should make a good conductivity tester. will learn more tonight.

also going back the the stock w900 cable is such a big step down. I could hardly tell a difference stepping up, now there's really something missing.

thanks for the advice seedub and parabellum

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #718 of 743
hi all :)
i am a proud new owner of a AK320. I got it it for around 900USD, and comparing it to local prices i think it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

so far I am enjoying it more than my previous DAP (DP-X1). the build is fantastic, so is the sound and ui! it does get a bit warm when in my pocket though...

Is there anything I should know about the AK320 (things that new users are likely to not know)?

Thanks!

edit: also noticed there are quite few reviews of AK320 on the internet :xf_eek: it isnt as popular as i though A&K products would be

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #719 of 743
Bluesyfluesy, The 320 is a great choice, appears to be the sweet spot in the line up IMO, at least on the used market.

E.g., I found one for a little over thousand dollars several months ago, and I’ve been super happy with it. I just joined Tidal and streaming Tidal through the 320 is fantastic!

Also, today just reaffirmed how good the output quality and power of the 320 are, as I streamed Tidal from 320 into my stereo system.

Feb 7, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #720 of 743
Bluesyfluesy, The 320 is a great choice, appears to be the sweet spot in the line up IMO, at least on the used market.

E.g., I found one for a little over thousand dollars several months ago, and I’ve been super happy with it. I just joined Tidal and streaming Tidal through the 320 is fantastic!

Also, today just reaffirmed how good the output quality and power of the 320 are, as I streamed Tidal from 320 into my stereo system.

indeed, compared to my dp-x1, the ak320 is a noticeably airier, cleaner and slightly less congested. (though i am surprise how well the dp-x1 sounds compared to the ak320 considering it is much cheaper!!)
I find the bass on the ak320 to be on the leaner side, however. I cant feel bass guitar as strongly as I can feel it on the dp-x1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back