The AK320 thread
Feb 27, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #332 of 743
After updating to FW 1.06 I notice changes to the SQ. Anyone else noticing this?

Before compared to the Mojo, the Mojo would have much more bass emphasis, but now is on par or even more bass on the AK320.

Not sure if I like more this signature of 1.06 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 27, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #334 of 743
Strange? The firmware notes didn't call for any sound changes? Do they do this as a surprise? How would the sound have changed? Thanks!

Welcome to the world of DAPs.

Rarely is a change in sound deliberate. It usually happens as a byproduct of streamlining the code. Less redundancies, more direct mathematics, fewer roundabouts... the reproduction can change in subtle ways.

I am a little surprised this happened with the 320. My experience is that Astell & Kern DAPs are consistent throughout their lifespan.

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #335 of 743
Welcome to the world of DAPs.

Rarely is a change in sound deliberate. It usually happens as a byproduct of streamlining the code. Less redundancies, more direct mathematics, fewer roundabouts... the reproduction can change in subtle ways.

I am a little surprised this happened with the 320. My experience is that Astell & Kern DAPs are consistent throughout their lifespan.

Yes, I am surprised too. I also had the wifi off for some weeks in order to save (the not so great) battery life, so I probably skipped 1 or 2 FW in the middle and jumped directly to the last one.

That's why I would like if someone else update and noticed this.

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #336 of 743
Yes, I am surprised too. I also had the wifi off for some weeks in order to save (the not so great) battery life, so I probably skipped 1 or 2 FW in the middle and jumped directly to the last one.

That's why I would like if someone else update and noticed this.
Thats exactly the reason i ask! I recently just got my 320 and it came with v 1.1 i believe(the first firmware anyhow) and when turning on wifi the other day it took me straight to 1.6 and probably skipped a few myself but i have not witnessed any changes in sound quality ans thats with using my um masons and my fitear togo's! Hmmm? Have to ponder this one still cant see how new written code for firmware can change a sound signature?

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #337 of 743
This may not be the popular opinion, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Don't worry about firmware changing the sound. Just update it. There are hundreds of little tweaks that go into each revision, making the OS leaner, smoother, more stable. If your hardware could talk it would thank for each update, stating how much younger and more spry it feels every time you do it.

Choosing which firmware you use based on minute changes in the sonics is a poor way to go about this. The benefits far outweigh these perceived cons.

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #338 of 743

Don't worry about firmware changing the sound. Just update it. There are hundreds of little tweaks that go into each revision, making the OS leaner, smoother, more stable. If your hardware could talk it would thank for each update, stating how much younger and more spry it feels every time you do it.

Choosing which firmware you use based on minute changes in the sonics is a poor way to go about this. The benefits far outweigh these perceived cons.

I am totally with you on this.

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #339 of 743

From a technical stand point I completely agree with you, I always update my devices to latest FWs and updates. However, in the case of these DAPs the fluidity, lightness are secondary to the sound IMHO.

Most +$500 android or iOS devices are better from that standpoint, lets agree that the AK interface is pretty basic and closed. I would like for them to open and let you install Spotify, Tidal, etc.

I must also say, that coming from a ZX2 the interface is more basic but much better and fluid in the AK.

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #340 of 743
When I touch my AK120ii, I feel protective of it. I want to be healthy and awesome forever. Keeping the system up to date and at its best is one of many things I do to take of this amazing device.

Of course, luckily for me, the sonics have never been changed by this. But unless they were changed drastically, and in a negative way, I would still do it. Like I said, the benefits outweigh silly quibbles.

Out of the devices I've owned that did get effected in this way, it was usually for the best. They sounded better with each update. That is after all what is supposed to happen when you clean up junk code.

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #341 of 743
For those of you who question the new DSP based EQ like @hykhleif, I made a few test and find the reason why I don't like the EQ in the new models.

My start mission was to find the EQ setting from my old AK100II for my AKT5p.

So I found a good way with the inspiration of @hrklg01 to "see" the EQ settings:
I feed a freq. sweep from 20-2k Hz from the player to an analyzer.
Fine
The I tried to reproduce the curve with the AK320 (FW1.06).
Bang... the FR is a ripple field.
The Q setting seems to have very minor effect
The green line is a test of mine with +1dB and
Q0.1 at 380Hz
Q1 at 500 Hz
Q2 at 750 Hz
Q3 at 1000Hz
Q4 at 1500 Hz

Then I testet the built in PRO EQ (red line), haha they have the same ripple problem!

What do you say?

Is this a good new EQ?

Regards
Roman 

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #342 of 743
Just curious anyone here using a 3rd party case for the 320?

Mr Google can't seems to find any :slight_smile: TIA

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #343 of 743
Just curious anyone here using a 3rd party case for the 320?

Mr Google can't seems to find any :slight_smile: TIA

there was a supplier from China in AliExpress but i just checked now, his account is already inactive.
I ordered several leather cases from him. workmanship quite good...

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #344 of 743
there was a supplier from China in AliExpress but i just checked now, his account is already inactive.
I ordered several leather cases from him. workmanship quite good...

Thanks, appreciate it...tried searching but no joy...oh well, hopefully dignis will have some soon :slight_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back