The absolute morons guide to learning DIY?
Nov 25, 2008 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JackCrank

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, been lurking for a while but haven't posted much. Just finished my first DIY modded grado amp copy but still feel like I don't know a damned thing about how this electronics stuff works. Fortunately I had a friend to do all the layout and electronics stuff for me but I'd like to start learning it myself. Does anyone have a from step 0 guide to learning this stuff.

When I say from step 0 I mean like basic reading a schematic stuff/explaining what a capacitor or resistor does/etc. kinda thing. Seriously, I don't know crap and I basically slept through the 6minutes of electronics they taught in high school. Where do I go to look for this stuff besides wikipedia?

Thanks all.

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 9
Audiologica

That is a light read, but you can only learn by doing.

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
learn Electricity and Magnetism in college physics. then read the book The Art of Electronics.

Pay my tuition?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audiologica

That is a light read, but you can only learn by doing.

Significantly more helpful, thanks.

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 9
Start with "There Are No Electrons" by Kenn Amdahl. One you get through that (it's a fun read) go through the tube primer at Boozhound Labs. There are some great elementary texts at Pete Millett's site (free), then move to the books by Morgan Jones and Bruce Rozenblit.

Also, you'll want to watch Tangent's tutorials. If you're interested in learning about tube gear, I highly recommend getting an old 5 tube AM radio off eBay for $10-$20. You might find some at junk stores, too. Pick up a 1950s era book on radio repair (there are a number of them, I like Markus' books) and fix it. You can usually get them working great for $20-$30 in parts. You'll also learn how to work point-to-point (the best way, IMHO) and see an amp stage in addition to a few others. Also, you might be surprised at just how good AM can sound with just tubes and a singledriver.

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 9
this is good book that has some brief intro that you may be looking for:

Electronic Projects for Musician by C. Anderson
search google you will find it.

Also
Building Valve Amplifiers by Morgan Jones
google books
may miss couple pages

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
learn Electricity and Magnetism in college physics. then read the book The Art of Electronics.

E&M is the devil! But that does makes me wonder if pursuing a minor in ECE while I'm still in school would be of any use in this hobby.

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by chobint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E&M is the devil! But that does makes me wonder if pursuing a minor in ECE while I'm still in school would be of any use in this hobby.

Who cares about having a minor? Just take the class and then tinker on your own!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back