The ABSOLUTE BEST IEM's under $200?
Oct 18, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #16 of 32
The Atrios have been mentioned a few times, and note that they can be had for $130 from roaddogonline. That makes them perhaps the best deal on an IEM for under $200. But, a lot depends on sound signature preference, too. I, like many here, happen to like the non-fatiguing smoothness of the Atrios, even if I surrender just a touch of detail.

Oct 29, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why?

The e500 bass is overemphasized and the treble has a big rolloff. The biggest problem, though, is the way the treble sounds disconnected from the rest of the spectrum. The treble almost sounds like it's playing from a different source. The er-4s is far more detailed, more neutral, and sounds much more "whole"-the transition from lows to highs sounds much more natural and the highs and lows don't sound disconnected from each other. I do wish I could "feel" the bass on the er-4s more though.

Edit: Woot this is my 50th post.

Oct 29, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is the rundown of most of the IEMs I've heard.

The Super.fi 5 Pro has a really fun sound and has a "smiley face" eq, meaning that the bass and treble are slightly more emphasized than the mids. This sound signature is more suitable for rock, and non-critical easy listening.

The e4c has is a much faster, lighter and more treble oriented than the sf5. Personally I don't really like the sound, but I think others like them for their crystal clear details.

The er4p/s is simply the most balaced, un-coloured, clinical and clean IEM I've ever come across. But its sound signature is a love or hate thing. Some say they lack in bass and I have a agree to some extent.

You could look at the Westone UM2 as well which is another dual driver IEM. It's sound is kinda laid back, warm and inviting. Great for easy listening.

Those 4, yep. ER4P/S, UM2, E4C, SF5P. It's a preference thing at this level. I like the UM2 just for comfort and versatility.

Oct 29, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #21 of 32
From your sig. I'm assuming you might just be partial to a fairly bass orientated sound signature. If so then the Atrio M5 will suit you perfectly. Better still they don't require an amp to sound at their best either..

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #22 of 32
ER-4. Uncontested for under 200. Under $300, SE530. I may get a pair of ER-4s my self sometime next year.

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon C-700, Atrio M5, super.fi 5 pro, q-JAYS, there are atleast half a dozen thread compering them, i suggest you use the search function, but in the end, it all comes to personal taste,

X2
lambda.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #24 of 32
See, what people seem not able to grasp is that this whole headphone thing is so very subjective. There will never be any one pair of headphones that is the best for everyone. Except maybe the Orpheus. So beautiful. Hahaha
580smile.gif
Everyone knows Sennheiser is really the best, you should just buy a big backpack and lots of batteries to power a portable Orpheus.
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #25 of 32
So there ya have it! Its unanimous!!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See, what people seem not able to grasp is that this whole headphone thing is so very subjective. There will never be any one pair of headphones that is the best for everyone. Except maybe the Orpheus. So beautiful. Hahaha
580smile.gif
Everyone knows Sennheiser is really the best, you should just buy a big backpack and lots of batteries to power a portable Orpheus.
wink.gif

Pretty much what he said. I mean it is pretty definite that some headphones are better than others, but in the same price range by quality companies, it is 100% preference. As you have seen with everyones response, their are many different ones people like the best. There is not one that is the best, there is one though that you like the best. I suggest trying as many out as possible. If it is not possible, than do research on your preferences and buy accordingly. The favorite I have heard in the price range is the ety er-6 and i really want to buy the er-4, which are also in in your price range.

good luck!

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #27 of 32
The only time I ever think my er-4p's lack bass is when im reading threads that say they do and im not listening to them! when I have them on and I'm out and about nodding away they are just amazing! I tried the um2's and the etys, kept the etys. If you want the um2s dont listen to the detail and solidity of the er-4p/s then you wont know what your missing!

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #28 of 32
Yes, exactly. I could make very convincing arguments that EITHER IEM....ER4P or Super Fi Pro are the best for under $200 yet they sound totally different. Go figure.

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The e500 bass is overemphasized and the treble has a big rolloff. The biggest problem, though, is the way the treble sounds disconnected from the rest of the spectrum. The treble almost sounds like it's playing from a different source. The er-4s is far more detailed, more neutral, and sounds much more "whole"-the transition from lows to highs sounds much more natural and the highs and lows don't sound disconnected from each other. I do wish I could "feel" the bass on the er-4s more though.

Edit: Woot this is my 50th post.

I personally own both. Prior to owning both, I was going to decide which one to keep, and sell one off. But after owning them both, I couldn't decide which one to keep! They were both good, depending on what music you have on.

There are many songs, where no matter how long I listen to the E500 to become accustomed to it, it just sounds like a huge part is missing in comparison from the ER4. But at the same time, I find that most general songs(rather than your high quality recordings that you might have), sounds more pleasant on the E500. Honestly, for many bands like metallica, the highs sound fatiguingly ear piercing on the ER4. The thing that especially bothers me is the overpronounced SSSS sounds. I don't know about you, but having every SSS sound scream out at you in pain does not sound natural to me.

I find that most live music sounds better on the ER4, acoustic rock, or anything that's a lot more soft. But on harsher songs like rock, ER4 is just too harsh.

This is just my own personal findings in the end though.

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #30 of 32
Astro makes a good point and some people are more sensitive to that SSSS crisp treble. Personally I do NOT like the way Etys sound with "supposed" great recordings, which I presume to mean relatively flat and not hot mastered. These definitely sound thin to me. The hot mastered, slightly boomy and warm recordings are a better synergy with the Etys to my ears. They thicken the bottom end out a little and take the edge of the hyper crisp detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back