The 3 heavy weights and other audio myths... Abyss VS Utopia VS LCD4's
Dec 12, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #80 of 118
Not found !!!

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #83 of 118
Great and interesting read after reading the hifiman thread about their edition 6 at 6k usd thats apparently coming up.

But I have a comment about LCD4, as I also reviewed the LCD4 and Utopia together balanced and unbalanced.

LCD4 has the most to gain from balanced, actually at home I hear a huge difference between balanced and non- balanced. I have the V281 almighty amp, and on balanced there are 4 amps running each connector in XLR4, while on the jackplug there is 2 amps running the show. Once the LCD4 is powered enough it has alot of details and soundstage that opens up thats not there  at unbalanced connector.

The Utopia is offcourse only 80 ohms so it runs easyer on the large jackplug and its a huge benefit to be able to connect it to lighter DACs and smaller transportable equipment over the LCD4.

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #84 of 118
I have just ordered a GS-X Mk2 and Focal Utopia headphones. Auditioned the combination for over two hours with no fatigue or discomfort. Despite reports from some that the combination is bright I found it to be extremely transparent to both the source and the recording. I wouldn't have it any other way. Will post photos once it arrives and is set up.

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #85 of 118
I have just ordered a GS-X Mk2 and Focal Utopia headphones. Auditioned the combination for over two hours with no fatigue or discomfort. Despite reports from some that the combination is bright I found it to be extremely transparent to both the source and the recording. I wouldn't have it any other way. Will post photos once it arrives and is set up.

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #86 of 118
personally I do not think the Utopia requires an external amp..i have gone back and forth on this issue....I prefer to listen to my HP's direct out of the Dave if possible because I think it is simply more transparent and the only HP that i have found a challenge with is the LCD-4 which truly blossoms and sounds dramatically better with ample powe

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #87 of 118
personally I do not think the Utopia requires an external amp..i have gone back and forth on this issue....I prefer to listen to my HP's direct out of the Dave if possible because I think it is simply more transparent and the only HP that i have found a challenge with is the LCD-4 which truly blossoms and sounds dramatically better with ample powe

Hard to argue with this logic. If I owned a Dave DAC I would use the headphone output with my Utopias. Not about to sell my MSB Signature DAC IV Plus hence my need for something as transparent as the Headamp GS-X Mk2. That and the fact that I may want to run my analog front end through it.

Feb 13, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #88 of 118
I already asked this in Utopia forum, but will ask here as well.
Would you rather have 1great HP like the Utopia or several in 1k range with different sound qualities?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #90 of 118
I already asked this in Utopia forum, but will ask here as well.
Would you rather have 1great HP like the Utopia or several in 1k range with different sound qualities?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Definitely one transparent headphone (the Utopia was my choice) as opposed to several different flavours of coloration. I want to hear more of the music and less of the equipment's sonic fingerprint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back