The 3 heavy weights and other audio myths... Abyss VS Utopia VS LCD4's
Oct 16, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #31 of 118

I simply compared headphones like the HD650, HD 800 and HD 800 S with the Chord Dave against the Chord Dave + Taurus MKII. I don't hear anything which suggest the Chord Dave is "underdriving" these headphones. So anything which sounds different from how the Chord Dave originally sounds is colour according to my ears. Also there is no such thing as wire with gain since even the interconnects alter the signal (the sound coming from the Taurus MKII is impacted by the quality of the cables. I also heard the same on speaker setups). 

I'll see if I can borrow someone his LCD-4 to test if the Chord Dave fails to drive these headphones properly. 

As mentioned, please try some DSD recordings with your HD800S, fully balanced, I hear clear improvements in clarity and control (w/ my GS-X Mk2) with the added headroom. Not huge, but still there, so much so that the TT --> GS-X Mk2 is my preferred setup for my HD800S. That said, straight out of my Hugo TT, the HD800S still sounds stupendously great! I did listen to the LCD-4s from the DAVE alone at RMAF last weekend and the results were pretty clear: needed more power. While not the HE-6s, the LCD-4s need quite a bit more power than what was on tap. The folks at Chord said I took it beyond "the point of clipping" just to get it to sound sufficiently loud.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #32 of 118

As mentioned, please try some DSD recordings with your HD800S, fully balanced, I hear clear improvements in clarity and control (w/ my GS-X Mk2) with the added headroom. Not huge, but still there, so much so that the TT --> GS-X Mk2 is my preferred setup for my HD800S. That said, straight out of my Hugo TT, the HD800S still sounds stupendously great! I did listen to the LCD-4s from the DAVE alone at RMAF last weekend and the results were pretty clear: needed more power. While not the HE-6s, the LCD-4s need quite a bit more power than what was on tap. The folks at Chord said I took it beyond "the point of clipping" just to get it to sound sufficiently loud.

Ok, will be interesting to hear then if I can get the LCD-4 at my place. If the Chord Dave can't handle the LCD-4, then I finally have a reason to keep my Taurus MKII.  

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #33 of 118
  The folks at Chord said I took it beyond "the point of clipping" just to get it to sound sufficiently loud.

How loud do you listen?  I have the LCD4's directly into the DAVE and the gain is at -25 and it is PLENTY loud.  If things were clipping...  You must have been above 0 as anything below that it, it doesn't (I haven't pushed it above).  At 0 it is, to me, silly, hurtfully loud.

I also did some revisiting today with the LCD4's and the GSX.  I didn't prefer the LCD4's though the GSX vs out of the DAVE and reviewing my notes I was using the blue cable, not the Comp4 with the DAVE/LCD4 and DHC cable with the GSX (oops) so that was the difference not the amp.  

I also did some more playing around with the Utopia's out of the GSX and DAVE.  The Utopias lose some bass tautness (to me) with the GSX so maybe that's what you are hearing as extra 'body'?  Or maybe it's the difference in driving something with the TT vs the DAVE...  It's odd because we have such similar setups yet are getting different results...  For me, with the DAVE the GSX doesn't add anything with the HD800's, Utopia's, Abyss or LCD4's but you find it has a positive impact.  I suppose you are a more seasoned listener (being an actual professional reviewer) so I will certain conceded that you are likely correct and I am mistaken.  I will, however, be happy that I don't need to keep an expensive GSX around :)

What gain are you using on the GSX?  Also, are there any particular track that you are using that find the differences particularly prominent?  I would love to see if I can replicate your results.

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #34 of 118

How loud do you listen?  I have the LCD4's directly into the DAVE and the gain is at -25 and it is PLENTY loud.  If things were clipping...  You must have been above 0 as anything below that it, it doesn't (I haven't pushed it above).  At 0 it is, to me, silly, hurtfully loud.

I also did some revisiting today with the LCD4's and the GSX.  I didn't prefer the LCD4's though the GSX vs out of the DAVE and reviewing my notes I was using the blue cable, not the Comp4 with the DAVE/LCD4 and DHC cable with the GSX (oops) so that was the difference not the amp.  

I also did some more playing around with the Utopia's out of the GSX and DAVE.  The Utopias lose some bass tautness (to me) with the GSX so maybe that's what you are hearing as extra 'body'?  Or maybe it's the difference in driving something with the TT vs the DAVE...  It's odd because we have such similar setups yet are getting different results...  For me, with the DAVE the GSX doesn't add anything with the HD800's, Utopia's, Abyss or LCD4's but you find it has a positive impact.  I suppose you are a more seasoned listener (being an actual professional reviewer) so I will certain conceded that you are likely correct and I am mistaken.  I will, however, be happy that I don't need to keep an expensive GSX around :)

What gain are you using on the GSX?  Also, are there any particular track that you are using that find the differences particularly prominent?  I would love to see if I can replicate your results.

Normal levels (75-85dB)...that was at the Chord booth with high resolution files. I took it to -10 and higher before I got it where I got there. 
The extra body is there when you run the Utopias balanced; as mentioned my preferred setup previous to the balanced setup was straight from my Chord DAC. I'm using Medium gain on my GS-X MK2.

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #35 of 118
Great post Paul, thanks for sharing. 

I want to do an Abyss, SR009, Utopia, HE1000 and HD800 comparison at home (perhaps throw in the HE90 when I have it delivered) but I doubt I will ever have time. By that time I would have sold my Abyss already.

I agree with the points you (the OP) made but I would just add that the soundstage of the Utopia varies wildly from recording to recording. So saying that it compares to the HD600 soundstage is not entirely accurate. On some classical recordings / audiophile fare, the soundstage extends to the furthest edges of the headphone similar (but not quite up to) the HD800. This does not happen to most recordings.

Right now my favourite headphone is the SR-009 driven by the T2, and the close second is the Utopia driven directly by the DAVE (DHC Prion 4 cables). The SR-009 does classical and the type of music I like better. The Utopia does everything else better. If I had to pick and choose just one headphone it would be the Utopia, which has a more balanced tonality compared to the SR009.

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #36 of 118
Thks for your comment about Utopia's staging @Lojay. This a key point for me. I love when my headphone can sound very differently accordingly to the recording :) . Looking forward your comparison between all your current and future headphones. 

@bigfatpaulie: Ugh.. you're selling all your stuff except Utopia and Dave ? 

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #37 of 118
  Right now my favourite headphone is the SR-009 driven by the T2, and the close second is the Utopia driven directly by the DAVE (DHC Prion 4 cables). The SR-009 does classical and the type of music I like better. The Utopia does everything else better. If I had to pick and choose just one headphone it would be the Utopia, which has a more balanced tonality compared to the SR009.

I agree with the above, tho my time with SR-009 are limited as I'm not too fond of electrostats...but I will substitute SR-009 for HD800S for Classical and instrumentals, and Utopia for everything else, both driven directly from Utopia

Oct 17, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #38 of 118
  Thks for your comment about Utopia's staging @Lojay. This a key point for me. I love when my headphone can sound very differently accordingly to the recording :) . Looking forward your comparison between all your current and future headphones. 

@bigfatpaulie: Ugh.. you're selling all your stuff except Utopia and Dave ? 

Yes.  The two check the most boxes for me.  I think in a perfect world I would go for a T2+009's but I feel confident I am close enough with this combo.

But that's me - other's may prefer a different setup.  I think one this to always keep in mind that one man's dislikes are another loves.

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #39 of 118
@bigfatpaulie

Interesting comparison! I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

Could you share what you did to modify the headband? (Or did Joe do it for you?) I also have issues wearing the Abyss.

You mentioned in the past that you preferred driving the Abyss directly from the DAVE instead of adding the 600i. Here you admitted the 600i has certain advantages. Would you be able to list the areas each one excels in in terms of what you would consider higher fidelity? I'm interested in learning more about how the sound differs between the two and why you prefer the DAVE alone. With the way you and others describe it, it seems like I would definitely want what the 600i has to offer.
I'm interested in this as well.

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #40 of 118

Yes.  The two check the most boxes for me.  I think in a perfect world I would go for a T2+009's but I feel confident I am close enough with this combo.

But that's me - other's may prefer a different setup.  I think one this to always keep in mind that one man's dislikes are another loves.

And you're keeping your HD800 ? May I ask why ? 

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #41 of 118

I'm not really sure...  I feel like I'm just not done with the.  Same goes for the HD600's.  They both offer something very, very special.  I've had the best listening sessions with the HD800 and it was the headphone that really made me fall in love with this hobby so there is a certain sentimentality for them with me.  

Plus..  I'm too curious to try your SD mod :)  No joke.  I'll have to bug you for a pair in the near future when things settle down.

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #42 of 118
ah ah ah ah. Just buy a ticket for California . I'll be there between 10/29 and 11/5. I'll be happy to pay you a beer and a pair of resonators. 

Oct 18, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #44 of 118
  I’d like to start by saying I am not an audio reviewer.  There are a lot of good ones, and some bad ones.  I’m neither.  I’m just a guy who loves music and uses headphones as a device to do so.

There is a lot of buzz lately about some of these new high-end (expensive) flagships on the market and I’ll admit curiosity got the better of me.  I don’t care for in-store auditions or meets (to judge headphones, for actual ‘meeting’ people, they are amazing) for many reasons: the noise, the unknown upstream gear and most of all, the time.  I personally feel that it takes time to get to know all the nuances of something so having something at home is really the only measure I use.  What’s the best way to get all three big heavy flagships at home?  Sadly, the answer is to buy them…

I have to say I fully agree with that and that's why I'm usually not hyped when I hear those "first impressions" of people quickly checking out headphones in short auditions under poor conditions. Goes for positive and negative impressions.

I'm curious about the Utopia, but they're not available at any place that will easily accept returns, so buying them is too risky.  If I really like them enough I can see the HD800S being replaced, but the odds of that happening are perhaps 50/50. Finding a store that has them for audition isn't easy, but even that way I'd have to drag along the 800S and Z1R and stay there living a couple of days, which they wouldn't take kindly. :D

Nothing like the safe, sweet Amazon 30-day return window...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back