The 10 to 1 theory of Headphones.
Aug 23, 2001 at 12:54 AM Post #16 of 25
I think my favorite amp is the Cary 300SEI. The BlockHead is better, but I can have that. The Cary is sweet. I think you guys should talk Dennis and Billy into letting me sell it. Until then, I have to say it's the amp I lust for. That Antique Sound Labs look-alike is pretty darn good, too.

Aug 23, 2001 at 2:12 PM Post #17 of 25
MacDEF:
rolleyes.gif
I read that, I swear!! I guess it was, um, in one eye, out the other
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2001 at 2:38 PM Post #18 of 25
Good posts by Tyll Hertsens and RGA. Points out the apples and oranges of headphones and speakers. I find that at low to moderate volume, a good headphone can somewhat simulate the balance and character of good speaker sound but speaker sound cannot be duplicated by headphones simply because the airborne soundwaves provided by speakers cannot be replicated by headphones.

Aug 24, 2001 at 4:40 AM Post #19 of 25
Aside from "in the head" imaging with headphones, I believe that ACCURACY is on the side of headphones. With GOOD, accurate (neutral tonal balance) headphones, you hear WHAT'S ON THE RECORDING, not a dilluted version of it.

It is literally impossible to listen to JUST speakers, for speakers ALWAYS interact with room acoustics, and sound different not just in every room, but in every position WITHIN that room! Headphones, on the other hand, have a DISTINCT advantage, especially for critical MONITORING, as the room acoustics can be COMPLETELY bypassed! What you hear is WHAT'S ON THE RECORDING (plus the colorations introduced by the headphones themselves), rather than what's on the recording, room acoustics (including standing waves/echoes/additional reverb/phase cancellation between drivers, and various RANDOM boosts and cancellations present in EVERY room, with EVERY speaker). Headphones also have another IMMENSE advantage over speakers...since it isn't necessary to generate room filling volumes at low frequencies, the entire audible spectrum can be reproduced by a single driver. No crossovers, with all their phase anomolies, and no multiple drivers, which will NEVER match perfectly, and will always intercourse the waveforms they reproduce in both time and frequency domains!

I admit that there's a certain "rightness" to speakers, largely due to the fact that in real life we don't just LISTEN to live music, we also FEEL it. Properly reproduced bass moves the room, and our bodies, not just the air. I believe that this is much of what people who prefer speakers are addicted to. But for me, when I really want to get INSIDE a recording, and experience what the musicians played, and exactly how they played it. it's no contest...headphones are FAR better to these ears!

Aug 24, 2001 at 4:04 PM Post #20 of 25
I just got some decent speakers on ebay for about $50. I don't have a good amp for them yet but so far they don't sound too hot in comparison to my headphone system. Grainy, peaky, muddy midrange... although I should stress that my amplification at this point is FAR from optimal. It is still quite obvious to me that headphones can offer an experience that is vastly superior to speakers. Overall I would have to say I prefer headphones in terms of the sound quality, and when I listen to the speakers I think to myself if only I could get that wonderfull sound of my HD600's out here in the room... If there is a convenient way to solve the bass issue I think that headphones will easily become the preferred method of listening amongst the hard core audiphiles. Especially if binaural recordings take hold... Personally I think a headphone playing binaural recordings trounces any speaker system in terms of soundstaging and imaging.

Aug 24, 2001 at 8:12 PM Post #21 of 25
Mike, those were great comments. They point out EXACTLY why headphones should not be considered as second best to speakers, but rather, that they are another perfectly ligitimate way of listening to music; both superior and in ferior in a variety of way to speaker listening.

Aug 24, 2001 at 11:55 PM Post #22 of 25
I sometimes really miss the imaging and soundstage of speakers myself... even listening to these so called thx rated multimedia speaker (oxymoron?) in my room... but my biggest annoyance with speaker systems is that if I move my head just so slightly to one side, the sound is off balance and I just cannot listen to it any more. If I listen to speakers, I HAVE to sit still and be in one position to enjoy it, otherwise a misbalance annoys me so much...

Headphones are definetely for me, because when I listen to music, I am usually doing something, not just listening... though what I am doing can be a factor... like, if I am excersizing, I listen to speakers since I dont care about balance... but if I am doing my homework, where things are more quiet, then balance is more of a factor...

Just my 0.02$

Aug 25, 2001 at 12:13 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
Headphones are definetely for me, because when I listen to music, I am usually doing something, not just listening... though what I am doing can be a factor... like, if I am excersizing, I listen to speakers since I dont care about balance... but if I am doing my homework, where things are more quiet, then balance is more of a factor...

I'd have to say that headphone listening is definitely more for me too. I think much of it is my lifestyle. I don't really have a lot of time to sit in an easy chair placed precisely in the sweet spot of my speakers and chill with music. Funny thing is I don't miss speaker listening at all.

Sep 1, 2001 at 1:05 AM Post #25 of 25
LOL, oh yeah. I *KNOW* my Etys are equal to ANY low-to-medium-end electrostatic system out there, so long as they have the right amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back