The β22 is done! Pictures on page 5
Jan 10, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #76 of 101
I wonder if you can test this for me..

The two amplifier boards on the left side of the case are presumably driving the left channel and the ones on the right are driving the right channel.

Form the looks of it, the transformer is closer to the left chanel amp boards..wonder if there is a differnece in the amount of noise induced in each of the channels?
See if you can test this.

Try plugging in only the left channel output and testing for noise and then plug in only the right channel and test for noise?..Is there a noticeable difference?

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #77 of 101
Jan 10, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #78 of 101
Congratulations! I want a pair so bad.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #79 of 101
Hey Ryan, great job. The particle board and plastic knob really say Starving Student Balanced B22! Once you sort out the hum you'll have a real sleeper, the outward appearance of an old fixed-up Toyota but with a Corvette engine under the hood. You've set the bar for how inexpensively a balanced B22 can be built. Congrats.

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #80 of 101
Good job on the build!

Regarding line hum - if you're hearing even a little with the Sennheisers, you'll almost certainly hear quite a bit with lower Z phones. I once again recommend using fully-shielded transformers if they're in the same case as the amp. But I waited a good few months before performing this upgrade to mine.

Any plans to wire for SE as well, so you're not restricted to balanced phones/sources?

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #81 of 101
Sachu, I reassessed my hum this morning. At normal listening volumes, I can't hear any hum through the headphones. However, I can hear a faint hum from the unit itself though. When I turn up the volume to about 2 or 3 o clock I can hear the same hum coming through the headphones and it is noticeably stronger through the left channel.

From talking to others, about the only way to isolate the hum is to move the transformer to a different chassis or buy a completely shielded one. I'll probably perform one of those upgrades down the road. I really should wire for SE, it'd be a heck of a lot easier for trying different phones head-fi meets, it'd require some additional wiring and a switch too. Still not sure on that one, maybe.

Thanks for the knobs site, Erik. I really like the look of some of those.

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #82 of 101
Great build Ryan. I totally look forward to listening to it soon.
beerchug.gif

You could go with a pair of Neutrik Combo jacks for the headphone jacks and just wire up only two amps to the center TRS portion of just one jack, or parallel both.
They are really inexpensive and easy to find at places like Markertek.

Look forward to your listening impressions
atsmile.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #84 of 101
Looks good, can't wait to see it
biggrin.gif

My bet is that the hum will drive you mad before long... but before you grab another chassis, I did notice a few things that might help. Your wire twisting looks a bit loose, might try twisting a bit tighter. Also your wall AC is running directly past (it almost looks like its running under) your leftmost amp board. I'd try twisting it up super tight and taping it along the very edge of the chassis as far from the amp board as possible. Stuff like that can cause pretty bad hum too.

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #86 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sachu, I reassessed my hum this morning. At normal listening volumes, I can't hear any hum through the headphones. However, I can hear a faint hum from the unit itself though. When I turn up the volume to about 2 or 3 o clock I can hear the same hum coming through the headphones and it is noticeably stronger through the left channel.

From talking to others, about the only way to isolate the hum is to move the transformer to a different chassis or buy a completely shielded one. I'll probably perform one of those upgrades down the road. I really should wire for SE, it'd be a heck of a lot easier for trying different phones head-fi meets, it'd require some additional wiring and a switch too. Still not sure on that one, maybe.

Thanks for the knobs site, Erik. I really like the look of some of those.

Thanks for the info Ryan.

I think you could try a few things first before moving the transformer in to another chassis,

1> You have about 3-4 inches of space between the amp boards and the front panel..try moving at least the left chanel ones closer to the front panel and see if it reduces the hum.

2> Try to implement the signal input wiring with shielded wires instead of basic hook up wire (this solved my hum problem in my other amplifier taht i built for speakers)

3> Move the transformer more to the top left corner (as far as possible).

4> After you have done one or all of the above, Turn off your amp, disconnect from mains, insulate all mains wiring with insulation tape, loosen the transformer. PLug in your amp and phones, slowly turn (rotate) the transformer in either direction to see if the hum reduces in any given direction.

If none of these work, then i guess you could go with a shielded transformer or a differnet chassis solution.

I am still trying to make up my mind, but am now leaning towards the shielded one.
Already got a quote for the sumr transformers (checking to see if it needs an inrush limiter)..I was hoping to get the unshielded transformers and see if it works and use the extra 100$ that the shielded transformer would cost to get front panels made at FPX. The advantage I think of having the power supply (including the sigma 22) in a different chassis would be to be able to use it with other amps such as a EHHA which I really really liked (fantastic match with the sennheisers).

The SE wiring makes a lot of sense, and am sure many people at your upcoming meet would love to have a try at your amp with their SE phones.

I am planning my layout for a balanced and single ended operation similar to the Krmathis amp..with the exception of me adding a mute switch on it when connected to speakers.

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #90 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by alwayshungry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was pretty quick. Nice work Ryan. I need to start planning mine soon.

I purposely got the parts so I could build the entire amp over my christmas break from college. I wanted something to keep my occupied while I was home. Luckily, I finished it in time! I head back to college tomorrow, with a new amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back