that rarest of beasts-the perfect debut LP
May 19, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #46 of 62
Muse - Showbiz

Dire Straits - Dire Straits (not sure if that was their debut)

May 19, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #47 of 62
My favorite three debut albums:

"Black Sabbath" - Black Sabbath
"Led Zeppelin " - Led Zeppelin
"Dire Straits" - Dire Straits
"Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac" - Fleetwood Mac

All of these were the beginning of a phenomenal legacy, and, in my opinion, all three were never equaled by subsequent albums.

May 19, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Dire Straits - Dire Straits (not sure if that was their debut)

dang, almost got to be the first to call it. no way it should have taken this long to get a mention. so i'll add this quote from the latest re-release:

Jerry Wexler: "It would have been a hit even if it had only been avaliable in grocery stores," he ruefully admitted...

many feel it's really their Best Album, period.

May 20, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #49 of 62
Chemical Brothers- "Exit Planet Dust"
The perfect dance album it starts you up, maintains your buzz and brings you down gently.

The Orb - "The Orbs Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld"
Got me into so many other genres man it blew my mind.

Wu-Tang Clan - "Enter the 36 Chambers"
Changed rap music again in the 90's after Dr. Dre did it with the Chronic

The Stylistics - "The Stylistics"
socially conscious and still able to sing your panties off

May 20, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #50 of 62
Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
-One of the best debut albums of all time, if not one of THE best albums of all time. Syd Barett was in fact a music-writing genious.

King Crimson - In The Court of Crimson King
-Again, another fantastic debut LP, and by-far one of the best progressive rock albums to ever be made. It's too bad that KC never really made another album that matched this virtuosity.

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
-Dazed and Confused is a fantastic song that showcases the tallent of every member of the band, even Mr. Plant (which is rare, considering I can either hate him or love him at times). The overall LP has this awesome, groovy blues feel to it and added a lot of room for innovation as the years went on. Again, another fantastic LP that can be considered one of THE best LPs ever made.

Boston - Boston
-I think every song on this LP was a hit at one time or another. I can't think of one that wasn't. This, ONCE AGAIN, is not only one of the best debut LPs ever, but also one of the best LPs ever. EVERY song, especially "Long Time", "More than a Feeling", and "Peace of Mind" are just such good songs... really deserving of every bit of credit they receive. And again, it's too bad that Boston never really reached the viruosity of this LP again in their career.

May 20, 2005 at 10:24 AM Post #51 of 62
Stone Roses - Stone Roses
Elvis Costello - My Aim is True
Nas - Illmatic

It's not a "perfect" album, but I was really impressed with The Arcade Fire's debut Funeral last year. It topped many best of 2004 lists and it was their first LP. It will be tough for them to follow that one up.

May 20, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #53 of 62
All the years this thread has been around, and still no one has mentioned AC/DC's first album. High Voltage, the Australian release was their first album and is probably my favorite of all AC/DC albums. It really shows off their talent. I never appreciated it until I got it on vinyl.

May 20, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #54 of 62
lots of excellent submissions... so i'll try to avoid repeating any (but props to VU, elvis costello, the clash et al)...

my list:

The Sea and Cake - The Sea and Cake
The Ramones - The Ramones
Funkadelic - Funkadelic
(see my sig)
R.E.M. - Chronic Town/Murmur
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
Pretenders - Pretenders
Tortoise - Tortoise
The Soft Boys - A Can of Bees
(why no one else around here seems to be a fan of the soft boys is a mystery i'll never unravel)
The Jam - In the City
Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77
They Might Be Giants - They Might Be Giants

that's all for now. i'm sure i'll think of more as the day progresses.

May 20, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #55 of 62
Many agreements with the previous lists. Recommended additons.

Modern Lovers - Johnathan Richmond & The Modern Lovers

Astral Weeks - Van Morrison

May 20, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #56 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis

jinx... buy me a coke.

May 20, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #57 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
jinx... buy me a coke.

"Jinx" -? Is that like "snap" - I was just thinking of that, or "you moe-ron" - pay the penalty and buy me a soda (and then he tried to molest me in the parking lot -yep -yep -yep!)?

May 20, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #58 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis
"Jinx" -? Is that like "snap" - I was just thinking of that, or "you moe-ron" - pay the penalty and buy me a soda (and then he tried to molest me in the parking lot -yep -yep -yep!)?

"jinx" is a pre-adolescent way of saying "hey! we said the same thing at the same time!"
"jinx, buy me a coke" is an elaboration of same, as evinced by the following excerpt from the memorable Seinfeld episode, "The Maestro":

Quote:

MAESTRO AND ELAINE (Simultaneously): Well I have to be going.
ELAINE: Jinx buy me a coke.
MAESTRO: Oh. Love it when that happeneds.
ELAINE: I know I know. That is so ahh ......
MAESTRO: Coincidental.

tongue.gif

May 21, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #60 of 62
"Perfect" is ultimately subjective, but these debut albums are no doubt excellent and their fans would agree too:

Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Portishead - Dummy
The Crystal Method - Vegas
Orbital - Orbital (aka "Green Album")
Thievery Corporation - Sounds From The Thievery Hi-Fi
Leftfield - Leftism

Users who are viewing this thread

Back