that rarest of beasts-the perfect debut LP
Jun 22, 2002 at 8:24 PM Post #16 of 62
oh man, talk about a topic i was just thinking about.

incidentally, as a music snob the only guy's list i think is even remotely acceptable is bravers
very_evil_smiley.gif

the top five (jazz excluded, since i hope BenG and coolvij come in to bust some knowledge that i simply do not have):

1) otis redding - otis blue: you poor, poor bastards who have never head this album should either a)go out and buy it now or b)consider your music collection completely invalid. qualifies as a first album even though volt released a bunch of other redding material at the same time. soul and r&b without the ******** and its horns over stuttered beats and non-factory songwritting (redding has got to be the most underrated songwritter of all time) made motown look like a joke.

2) velvet underground and nico (aka the andy warhol cd): completely changed music forever with their art pop meets punk sound. i'd rate the album as vu's third best of their four major releases, but christ, simply brilliant. also opened the door for their very anti-warhol and best release, white light/white heat. pretty much the quintesential album, with heroin, waiting for the man, femme fatale... hell the whole tracklist is worthy of mention.

3) tom waits - closing time: one of the first albums that simply had to be listened to from beginning to end. "i hope that i don't fall in love with you" is maybe the most underrated waits song of all time. song writting and musical experimentation that knocked the world on its ass.

4) ramblin' jack elliot - talking miner blues/pretty boy floyd: the original pressing of the album is major collector's material and near impossible to get, but there have been enough rereleases to warrant the recommendation with hope that some can pick it up. heavily, heavily influenced dylan, traditional folk at its finest and original material as well.

5) the stooges - before iggy became iggy pop (or iggy stooge as i still like to call him). power rock meets punk meets a big giant **** you to the establishment. interestingly the album, on absolute terms, was heavily influenced by a lot of other artists at the time, but its melding of different styles was the outline for raw power, which of course was a masterpiece.

top debut of the last 25 years: elvis costello - my aim is true: i'm weeping that this (along with ramones - ramones) didn't make my list, and i could have easily put in anywhere from #2-#5, so ****ing good that it blows the mind. i created this category to sneak it in
wink.gif

top debut of the last 20 years: the smiths - the smiths: morrisey gets on my nerves, and their subsequent releases (outside of meat is murder) mever did it for me. the themework of this album isn't something i could relate to, but the sense of social disconnection and the album's strength as a whole simply makes it the best of the 80s. on an absolute scale probably wouldn't make my top twenty five though, and i think its outclassed in some senses by the following albums.

top debut of the last 10 years: tricky - maxinquaye, dr dre - the chronic, deftones - adrenaline (tie): i'd place them in that order if i had to.

top debut of the past 5 years: lauryn hill - the miseducation of lauryn hill.

top debut of last year: the avalanches - since i left you: yeah, the strokes are damn good and if garage catches on (as it seems it is, the ****ing white stripes and countless others are actually on the radio... i still haven't gotten over my shock) they'll be my generation's nirvanna. but still the avalanches, while heavily influenced by de la soul, is the more original release.

best,
carlo.

Jun 22, 2002 at 8:49 PM Post #17 of 62
carlo,
All I can say is that you have unparalelled excellence in music taste. That is to say, your tastes seem to co-incide EXACTLY with mine!

But you still left Jimi off your list-- FOR SHAME!!!
wink.gif

markl

Jun 22, 2002 at 9:44 PM Post #18 of 62
Hmmm:

Garbage-Garbage
Metallica: kill 'em all (the LP first pressing)
The Doors
Weezer: blue album
Fear factory: soul of a new machine
nirvana: nevermind
stone temple pilots: core
foo fighters
dave matthews band- under the table and dreaming
oasis: definitely maybe
pearl jam- ten

...carlo, you da man!

Jun 22, 2002 at 10:49 PM Post #19 of 62
markl,

oh man, don't think it didn't cross my mind. but the omission was purposefull; while the album was ungodly original and knocked the music of its time (and now) upside the head, i stick to my top five. i really should have put it under an honorable mention though.

also consider that along with the ramones and elvis costello, the who- the who sings my generation, funkadelic and parliament's first albums (really a toss up), elvis pressley's sun stuff (although i'm not sure it qualifies as a debut since his crap with rca is usually credited as his first real releases and the eps weren't collected until later), and etta james - at last didn't make it either. rest assured that hendrix would've made my top ten
wink.gif

not to mention others that i considered: the new york dolls, the cars, dan melchoir, love, the doors, kinks, bob dylan (i would've gone with freewheelin' since his self titled debut were mostly traditional folk songs and more of a demo tape), john cale, marvin gaye, the clash, thee headcoatees... believe me, there was some thought put into the list. damn yo, i'm thinking of starting a "best second albums of all time" thread in a few days after i ponder the thought a bit.

gloco,

i'm sitting at the keyboard completely appaled: bleach was nirvana's first album... bow your head in shame and turn in your "musical genius" membership card to your nearest record store immediately.
biggrin.gif

thanks again for the dylan/cash cd man, i dig this **** more and more as time passes.

best,
carlo.

Jun 22, 2002 at 11:43 PM Post #20 of 62
carlo,
I can't reco more than Tom McRae's debut "Tom McRae". Don't know if you have it yet, but IMO, this is the most stunning and remarkable debut in the last 5-10 years. I know you'll love it. Please check it out.

markl

Jun 23, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #21 of 62
mark,

man, the name is familiar, but for some reason i never picked it up (or heard it)... thanks for the tip, i'll grab it at my next music expedition and let you know how it goes.

Jun 23, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #22 of 62
I'd have to agree with a lot of what's already been listed:

Metallica - Kill 'Em All
Garbage - Garbage
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (yes, that was his first)
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

How about:

Bauhaus - In The Flat Field
David Bowie - A Space Oddity (arguably not his first, but it was his first at the time)
Led Zeppelin - I
Blue Oyster Cult - Blue Oyster Cult
Soft Cell - Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret
Duran Duran - Duran Duran
Godspeed You Black Emperor! - F# A# (infinity)

...that's all I can think of, for now...

Unfavourite debuts by favourite bands:

Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn (don't get me wrong -- I like it, but hardly a "smashing debut")
Yes - Yes (or did Time and a Word come first?)
Rush - Rush (blech -- can you say "Led Zeppelin clone?")

Jun 24, 2002 at 12:18 AM Post #23 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
I'd have to agree with a lot of what's already been listed:

Metallica - Kill 'Em All
Garbage - Garbage
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (yes, that was his first)
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

How about:

Bauhaus - In The Flat Field
David Bowie - A Space Oddity (arguably not his first, but it was his first at the time)
Led Zeppelin - I
Blue Oyster Cult - Blue Oyster Cult
Soft Cell - Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret
Duran Duran - Duran Duran
Godspeed You Black Emperor! - F# A# (infinity)

...that's all I can think of, for now...

Unfavourite debuts by favourite bands:

Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn (don't get me wrong -- I like it, but hardly a "smashing debut")
Yes - Yes (or did Time and a Word come first?)
Rush - Rush (blech -- can you say "Led Zeppelin clone?")

Bravo. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Jun 24, 2002 at 2:22 PM Post #24 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
gloco,

i'm sitting at the keyboard completely appaled: bleach was nirvana's first album... bow your head in shame and turn in your "musical genius" membership card to your nearest record store immediately.
biggrin.gif

thanks again for the dylan/cash cd man, i dig this **** more and more as time passes.

best,
carlo.

LOL! I always forget about bleach, i never got into it for some reason
frown.gif

You crack me up man! Bootlegs kick ass man!

wink.gif

Jun 24, 2002 at 4:03 PM Post #26 of 62
Just off the top of my head:

Scorn - "Vae Solis"
Boards of Canada - "Music has the right to children"
Godflesh - "Streetcleaner"
You am I - "Sound as ever"
Laika - "Good looking blues"

Jun 24, 2002 at 7:10 PM Post #27 of 62
i have to agree with the strokes album, i just love it more and more each time i listen to it. however, my list:

modest mouse - a long drive for somebody with nothing to think about (sad sappy sucker is technically their first, but the group changed members heavily after that and their up records release i would count as being more their debut)

korn - self-titled (when i was younger, i would've mentioned this.. now i've moved on and don't give a damn)

sunny day real estate - diary (simply amazing. the mood strips me down to the core while the lyrics stick needles in my heart. just incredible and still my favorite release by them)

black sabbath - self-titled (was always my favorite)
led zeppelin - 1 (has my favorite stuff of their's on it as well)
garbage - self-titled (yes, damn good and version 2.0 equals it in awesomeness but where on earth did they go on their latest?)

portishead - dummy (if you don't own this album, you will never get laid)

tori amos - little earthquakes (although i like her later works better, it's hard to find a feminist who wouldn't scream with this at the top of her list)

weezer - blue album (goes into the "korn" category since they now suck sooo much)

jeff buckley - grace (keeping this on as it is a totally great album and i'd really encourage anybody who hasn't heard it to give it a listen)

bill hicks - dangerous (rest in peace you cold-hearted person, i love ya)

hum - you'd prefer an astronaut (this is on my top five albums of all time, possibly my favorite ever.. every song is just so beautiful and dreamy. totally underrated musicians, i am so sad that i never got to see them live.. at least now there's ebay
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

spacehog - resident alien (just a great album that they haven't been able to match up since)

marilyn manson - portrait of an american family (every true mansonite's favorite album)

aerosmith - self-titled (come on, an american classic)

rolling stones, elton john, billy joel.. anybody care to comment on some of these classic artists that have shaped music as we know it?

damn you carlo for making me place an order of the list you just made. i now have to go out and buy everything you just listed! i'm about to print this damn thread. damn you i say! someday i wish to be able to describe albums as you do. my award for coolest post on this thread goes to the very effervescent carlo! rock on man!

Jun 24, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #28 of 62
Pretty Hate Machine - Nine Inch Nails

Undertow - Tool

Leitmotif - Dredg

Though, really speaking, I find none of those albums to be perfect - they're all just exceptional......and PHM is the least consistent.....
rolleyes.gif

Hmm, how about Trane's Blue Note debut? Blue Train is a great Blue Note debut...................
confused.gif
tongue.gif

...for rock, I guess I'll go with:

- Led Zepellin I
- Are You Experienced?

Jun 25, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #29 of 62
grinch,

man, thanks for taking a chance with the titles. i'm not too sure ramblin' jack elliott will be up your alley, but he's freaking great and well worth a shot. i only have his stuff on vinyl though, i'm sure there's cd releases out but only god knows for sure.

one i think you'll love is liz phair's exile in guyville, her song by song response to the stones' exile on main street, also could've easily made my list for top debuts in the past ten years... there's also lucinda williams' self titled album if you're willing to stradle the line between country, folk, and all around goodness
wink.gif

i like that the three artists you're asking more info about turned into such major sellouts
very_evil_smiley.gif

elton john's empty sky wasn't bad, but i don't think he got really interesting until his tumbleweed collection through goodbye yellowbrick road period. in my opinion certainly not a prefect album by any means. at this point i think he should be forced to do really bad duets with mediocre musicians who pale in comparison to what he once was. oh, wait...

the stones' no.1 (the 1964 version) is pretty good, mick was still just out of control and they had this weird sort of fractured sound that kind of went all over the place. once again, i don't think they got hella good until probably out of our heads, when they got real good; then of course the 80s rolled around and, well... to be frank, i really wish they had broken up at that point.

never did and probably never will like billy joel
biggrin.gif

kinda surprised low and air didn't make your list... what's up with that grinch?

damn, where are the cream, gratefull dead, and bob marley fans at?

best,
carlo.

Jun 25, 2002 at 3:53 PM Post #30 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
kinda surprised low and air didn't make your list... what's up with that grinch?

thanks for your added input. i really was wondering about some artists that are played nonstop on classic rock stations that i think a lot of people brushed off just because they hear the songs so often anyway.

low and air have a rather evil connotation to me. an ex-girlfriend always recommends me bands like them and i know that they'll be right down my alley and i'll love them, but whenever i listen to them i'll just be reminded of her. reminds me of another album i am just astounded by:

sigur ros - agaetis byrjun

i can barely listen to this whole album, it just seems to pick away at me. there's something magical about not understanding lyrics i think, kinda like the opera record scene in the shawshank redemption.

either way, thanks again for more albums to buy carlo. i have always appreciated your posts as my favorite and i long for the days i can escape my damn company firewall and chat in the irc room again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back