That hobby is a curse.
Oct 30, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #31 of 157
Keeping the EQ "down" sells all things BS in audio.

Market that an EQ is BAD and DEGRADES the quality and purity of audio, and you can sell:

- cables that alter the sound
- "revealing" vs. "smooth" headphones
- minimal vs. expansive headstage
- System matching warm amps to cool headphones or vice versa
- "Synergy"
- Instill words into sonic signatures like "PRaT, Air, Bottom, Thump, Presence, Attack, "dynamic"

Best move EVER.

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #32 of 157
mechanical vibrations induced by sound and moving parts, and electro-magnetic interferences,

Mechanical vibrations are totally irrelevant, except in turntables and valves (<-tubes). Well, and microphones too.
The designers should have thought of EMI interference, if they did not it is a faulty product.

I only use an IQ WITH measurement microphone and software until I have a "flat" baseline. From this I adjust "to taste".

Do you measure, or do you "believe" only your ears?

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #33 of 157
Equalizing if necessary is very good and necessary .....:ksc75smile:

But this is not the only solution to all problems, other solution are also there, if you dont want to buy an equalizer, or if you dont have it....For example if you have the money , sansui made in the past a mechanical equalizer that adjust with microphone and an induced noise the frequencies optimally to your room, then no need to transform and treat the room.... Equalization is one method....There is other like treatment of your room, it is fun and way less costly....In my systwem the sound is so good and natural, why equalizing it? Minimal improvement perhaps yes....

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #34 of 157
Mechanical vibrations are totally irrelevant, except in turntables and valves (<-tubes). Well, and microphones too.
The designers should have thought of EMI interference, if they did not it is a faulty product.

I only use an IQ WITH measurement microphone and software until I have a "flat" baseline. From this I adjust "to taste".

Do you measure, or do you "believe" only your ears?

I belive my ears like i believe my wife, not because that this is absolute scientific truth, but like you because the results are pleasing....Different means,same goal....i acknowledge and completely understand your way, being dogmatic is useless....But there are other ways, complementary and no less efficient, and also fun to experiment with...

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #35 of 157
I belive my ears like i believe my wife, not because that this is absolute scientific truth, but like you because the results are pleasing....Different means,same goal....i acknowledge and completely understand your way, being dogmatic is useless....But there are other ways, complementary and no less efficient, and also fun to experiment with...

I thought you were about to quote CS Lewis here! Haha.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #36 of 157
I just forget to quote here the great Lewis ....thanks i like him :deadhorse:

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #37 of 157

This is unfounded opinion in my experience.... Do you know a company that will say in his marketting pitch that here we sell products that are costly and TOTL but need to be damp and treated for the all pervasive interference field, and vastly induced negative mechanical resonance effects? Some company act to compensate that for sure, but this problem is vastly underestimated in this audio field by customers and in some good measure by engineers that have many other problems to toy and compete with...

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #38 of 157

I understand this. I understand fun and tweaking, I do it too - just like you sometimes without any measuring.

But it could happen, that you are tweaking away and spend lots of time ... Turning the wheels of a car so all air valves line up at 12:00 before you start the race, "because it makes a difference".

You know, sticking some sticky material randomly into a headphone and calling it an "damping resonace improvement", when nobody even know where this resonant cup frequency even is. Threads like that... Are not sound science.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #39 of 157
By the way i dont want to compensate first with an equalizer the headphone i just have, i want first to buy one i like and if possible discover the best there is at minimal cost, after that weaking it by ears, like all other piece of my system, and i have achieved that ....no need for an equalizer even if i understand and approve your choice....try tro understand mine...

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #40 of 157
Sound science in MUSIC listening, is EXPERIMENTING, with or without an equalizer... i dont pretend to make a law of my results, only suggesting simple way to improve the listening.... Your equalization is good for your ears only, other guy will equalize with his own specific rules and ears...Your invocation of "sound science" is only the use of an apparatus to legitimize your ears experience, it is perfectly ok and good, but NOT absolutely necessary for all in all case or be dogmatic and say: equalization solve all problem in audio....

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #41 of 157
I dont believe in " science" nor in god or in astrology, i try to study with my own limited means and potential "science", god, and astrology....i think that the discussion is out of topic....I apologize....And will wait for others opinions...:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #42 of 157
This is unfounded opinion in my experience.... Do you know a company that will say in his marketting pitch that here we sell products that are costly and TOTL but need to be damp and treated for the all pervasive interference field, and vastly induced negative mechanical resonance effects? Some company act to compensate that for sure, but this problem is vastly underestimated in this audio field by customers and in some good measure by engineers that have many other problems to toy and compete with...

Yes. Any forum / store / website that will sell you high end cables. So, basically any store or website that call itself "audiophile" will tell you that your 4000 USD DAC (containing 20 dollars worth of parts) needs a high end digital USB cable to bring out the last SQ percentages.

The truth is: lol. Digital cables sounding different? Physically not possible. But the "Digital USB cables makes a difference" thread is 300 pages long anyhow. So you decide.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #43 of 157
I dont believe in " science" nor in god or in astrology, i try to study with my own limited means and potential "science", god, and astrology....i think that the discussion is out of topic....I apologize....And will wait for others opinions...:ksc75smile:

Yes, this discussion is "off limits" on this forum. As should all "beliefs". But hey, we differentiate in finding "God" or finding "USB cable sound"! But in reality, it is the same exact thing. Belief - not science.

Science is not a truth. It is a method.

Think about it: When the first instruments where built that could efectively reproduce measuments reliably, in areas where we do not have sensors - the world "took off" running. It was the start for a new age that developed so very quickly compared to anything that came before it. Which brings me to audio reproduction. Audio reproduction is not "cutting edge". It is not "new". There is nothing to discover, we know exactly what does what.

Unless a new technology come along that fundamentally changes everything. Audio implants that send electricity to your brain. Higgs Field sound reproduction: Amplifiers amplify into the higgs field to create sound source anywhere in space - recorded the same way. (poor musicians must sit reaaaallly still while playing) - eveything is an adaptation to the "wheel". Dolby Atmos - very cool tech, is basically "more than two wheels", but nothing ground breaking.

Audio reproduction is just complex enough to confuse people with big words.

Actually, the entire concept of unchecked capitalism and its mechanics is what drives snake oil. "A fool and his money shall be parted" - is nothing worth aspiring to. At all.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #44 of 157
Reality is COMPLEX, separating the bulshitt and the truth is more difficult than what we all think, and ask for other means than invoking so-called "sound science"... For cables, only listening by yourself is the means, "sound science" is almost of the same useful utility than marketting...Science does not understand completely how ears operates in the musical experience, music is not sound....Your own experience cannot be replace by a law, a dogma, a rule, or by an opinion,listening is the only truth for whom who listen....

Oct 30, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #45 of 157
You are reading this right, it's an addiction, I find out that no matter how happy I am with my headphones I always go to a site for second hand headphones and watch what new is there. If there's something new and good I am starting to consider buying it, every day. That's not normal and I am sure that there is a lot of people like me here. I just don't know how to stop this. There is no "end game" and that's a curse.

I think it's all about finding our favourite sound signature. Sometimes one headphone is enough, sometimes we need several. I went 6 years content with just 2 headphones;
The Denon AH-D5000 and AKG K702. This is why I believe we don't really need more than 2.
Don't forget that most headphones work better with better amp's/dac's and audio players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back