That didn't go how I planned at all...
Feb 22, 2010 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

sinner6

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Gang,

Today I had a lesson in the devious nature of Headphones and Amps and such. Recently, I picked up my first rig (Zune HD->toslink->Compass->Denon D2000) and have been very pleased with the results. When I posted about that, a person told me, in a nutshell, that it would be wise to go on ahead and leave head-fi while I was still reasonably sane and enjoy my rig. This rang true, and I got to listening. Then my wife had a listen.

Now, I am grateful to have an understanding spouse, to whom the idea of multi hundred dollar "rigs" is not completely anathema. But something strange happened while she was auditioning my setup...she got hooked. Unable to face going back to her Sony MDR 7506's, she actually REQUESTED that we set up another rig in the bedroom! I planned to get get her an iBasso D10 and Denon D1001 as she has a player with toslink out. A nice little setup and a big improvement from what she had.

Today, I finally had the opportunity to order the D10 now that Chinese New Year is over. So, I head over to iBasso, but hey, lets check out Pacific Valve on the way...
...Well, needless to say, things got a little hectic and now that the dust has settled, what I really ended up with is an Audio-GD FUN and a set of D5000's FOR ME...she'll inherit the other stuff. When push came to shove, I just could not build a rig inferior to what I already had. Could not physically make myself do it. Hopefully I made the right choice and thanks to all the kind folks who tried to warn me (and my wallet).

Just a slice of life I thought some might relate to.

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 27
lol welcome to head-fi. i tried to give my wife a sansa clip and maybe re0s. she said "why do i need that? i have surround sound speakers in my classroom" (shes a teacher). i just ended there but i thought in my head... you just dont understand.

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 27
I wish that would happen with my wife!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 27
She will love the D2000s ... it has a special effect on women. My wife stole my D2000s, I stole them back and had Mark Lawton do the famous markl mod and then make them Lawton 2000s with his full set of upgrades, they came back and she stole them again.

She won't even leave them in the listening room with all the others -- they go to her home office and she locks the door. She won't even lend them to me anymore -- I have D1001s if I want the Denon sound, but they don't compare ... good that you did not get those for your wife.

She recently let MD1032 (John) hear them when he came to my house -- I hope he feels special.

Enjoy the D5000s, I bet they are terrific. I need higher-end Denons ... my wife said only one more HP until I started selling stuff, and I jumped at used K1000s instead of Denons, maybe a mistake.

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 27
Nice story. I don't think I would ever catch my wife wearing headphones...or even earphones. She's just not into it.

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 27
It's really a great joy to share something you greatly enjoy with someone you care deeply about. I only wish I will have that opportunity.

Now that you both have really great rigs, will you leave head-fi before your sanity departs? Will your wife also get a portable rig? These are frightening questions.

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 27
I've tried but I think my wife is a lost cause. She was using her ibudz and I let her try my ESW9's. Not the best but many, many miles from ibudz. She said that they sounded good and that they were definitely better than the ibudz but she just shook her head and said that she just didn't get it. *sigh* Any tips?

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by wantmyf1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried but I think my wife is a lost cause. She was using her ibudz and I let her try my ESW9's. Not the best but many, many miles from ibudz. She said that they sounded good and that they were definitely better than the ibudz but she just shook her head and said that she just didn't get it. *sigh* Any tips?

divorce?

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #12 of 27
show your love by giving the D5000 to your wife and keeping the D2000?

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #14 of 27
I need to get my wife into this but first I need to get proper speaker setup and later I can sneak in headphone setup
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back