TH610 VS TH900 II
Oct 24, 2017 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cossix

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for a new closed back headphone and wanted to get opinions on whether or not I would be better suited with the 610 or the 900 mk2. The 610 are obviously cheaper and look better to me with the wood cups, but I don't know if they're the right choice in my situation.

I have the LCD2F and want something with more bass for those days when I want to listen to EDM or similar. I've heard the 610 bass isn't as punchy as people assume, which puts me off to them by a bit. I want something that hits harder than my Audeze because, although the LCD2 isn't analytical or reference class, it's as close to that as I want. So assuming the LCD2 is my new "reference class" headphone, I want something with comparatively more bass and a more exciting sound.

Am I describing the 610 or the 900 mk2?

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 4
I have both the LCD2F and TH610. I auditioned both the 610 and 900 mkII fairly extensively before choosing the 610 based on what I was looking for. TH610 does not have more bass than LCD2. TH900 has more sub-bass than LCD 2 but fewer mids and way more treble. It's very V-shaped, almost the opposite of the LCD2. TH610 is much closer to neutral and while I feel it has a good amount of bass, coming from the LCD2 you may feel it lacking. Ultimately I chose the 610 over the 900 because it was a little too bassy for me and a little too sharp in the highs. Of the 2 headphones, you suggested it sounds like the TH900 mkII would better fit your requirements.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 4
I am looking for a new closed back headphone and wanted to get opinions on whether or not I would be better suited with the 610 or the 900 mk2. The 610 are obviously cheaper and look better to me with the wood cups, but I don't know if they're the right choice in my situation.

I have the LCD2F and want something with more bass for those days when I want to listen to EDM or similar. I've heard the 610 bass isn't as punchy as people assume, which puts me off to them by a bit. I want something that hits harder than my Audeze because, although the LCD2 isn't analytical or reference class, it's as close to that as I want. So assuming the LCD2 is my new "reference class" headphone, I want something with comparatively more bass and a more exciting sound.

Am I describing the 610 or the 900 mk2?

I'm in a very similar situation! I've been reading up on the Fostex TH-610 for awhile now. It seems that it is closer to neutral with a hint of musicality in regards to a slightly elevated bass, sub-bass specifically. I love the look of the headphone as well. Knowing in my past experience with owning Mr. Speaker's Alpha Prime I can say that a neutral sound signature always left me wanting more when listening to music. I guess I prefer colored headphones.

I recently began looking at the Fostex TH-X00 as another option. It is generally regarded as a 'fun' headphone with a lot of emphasis on the bass, although I believe it is specifically the mid-bass that gets the attention. I find that too much mid-bass is much more fatiguing than too much sub-bass. However, in regards to the Fostex TH-900 I've consistently read that the treble is strident, fatiguing. This is a deal-breaker for someone who is sensitive to sharp highs.

Jul 16, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 4
I have both TH900 and TH610, and had LCD2.2.

TH900 bass is lot closer to LCD2.2, it goes deeper and extends more than TH610.
Everything is much better in TH900 than TH610 IMO, spend extra $400-$500 and don't regret, that's my suggestion.

I have TH610 for the office listening, but for home I use TH900, I couldnt' justify having 2 TH900, if I had enough money I will buy two TH900s :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back