TH-900 Fostex EZ-Simple Mods and other Fostex Dynamic Variants X00...Denon..More Bass ? Mid ? Soundstage ? Smooth trebles ?
Mar 1, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #211 of 216
Actually did a bit more testing on the X00, I think the stock foam position is the best, possibly it is different on the 900, but every other position makes the bass worse quality.

The lawton driver mod definitely helps, the pad mod seems to improve the sound a bit, cannot undo it now to test but seems probably better. Will do the tape mod on the cups tomorrow hopefully that will smooth the treble a bit.

Mar 2, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #212 of 216
I did the Lawton driver-only mod to my X00 Purplehearts, and also added ZMF Ori pads. That's as far as I got with mods, but consider both to be very worthwhile.

I always intended to also try rotating the foam disc, as well as @Vracer111 's custom attenuator mod, but never got around to the @ 10 minutes required to do both LOL! Yes, I'm lazy :p

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #213 of 216
I currently have tr-x00 mohangy with Lawton mod on the drivers only. I switched the mohangy cups with th-900 cups, I wonder how they tape mod will effect the sound. I will try tonight.

Mar 19, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #214 of 216
I have the TH600s. I did dynamat on the cups (because they're metal and super resonant) & used tesa tape instead of medical tape, worked wonders.

Concerning the foam ring adjustment mod.. I've seen some people say there's no difference.. but I definitely notice it. It's slight. I think I like "3/ #2" the best.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #215 of 216
*****Do Not Trim Your Lawton Pads*****!!!
@Whitigir I was wondering why we shouldn't trim the Lawton Pads. They pretty much obscure the hole behind the clips. Also, the THX00's achieve deep bass by limiting the amount of driver available and their rings don't have breathing spaces (at least the ones on my TRX00 Ebony's don't. Is there an advantage to opening up more to achieve bass versus closing off part of the driver?

Jun 24, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #216 of 216
This link for more specific guidelines for specific changes

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802704/th-...s-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles#post_12447940

I have found some very interesting ways to tweak and alternate the sonic performance of the TH900 in a nice way. Very simple, easy, and fun. Even though just like many things on the changes of high quality gears, the changes are minor, nuances details, but is definitely there......and therefore, please, do not confuse other people.

I was able to bring about these followings in general

1/ wider, deeper soundstage
2/ less shouty vocal
3/ toned down trebles spikes famous in the TH900
4/ deeper sub-bass more slam to mid-bass and bass
5/ better linearity in the lower mid spectrum, even more details in the lower mid, and also bring mid more forward

First things first. It involves 3 different mods: Pad mods (irreversible), foam discs placement, and cup chambers dampening.

Pad mods: trim around the pads to expose these lock holes more opened. Take out the pads, but leave it on the plastic plate, and then trim around but by bit using a good scissors......do it slow....Do Not Overtrim it...you will render the pads useless.

*** Basically, the pads mod will allow your TH-900 to "breathes" the way it supposed to be, and it brings about the improvements of more detailed lower-mid, and deeper bass with bigger bass slam and most importantly, the linearity of the whole mid spectrum will improve, which brings about more soundstage and the 3rd dimensional***

*****Do Not Trim Your Lawton Pads*****!!!

Foam discs placement mods: there are 4 positions that I found to have been useful. It is found upon the 4 holes these foams were cut to slot in and lay on the screws guides. One will line up, the rest will be aligned automatically. Remember to remove and install the pad correctly to avoid the foam disc being moved.

1/ Stock: for stock sound , and of course

2/ stock Plus: yeah, it improves bass and more clarity and trebles details upon Stock sound....sibilants may/will present....depends on how much love you have for sparkling bright and trebles. Count these white holes away from the lock port , one, and two, align the foam hole on top of number 2 count

3/ #2 : most balanced and opened sound signature with strong slam and powerful rumbles....it is my favorite. Line up the foam hole on at the largest lock hole opening

4/ #3: the ultimately opened position for 900, brings about the ultimate bass rumbles, very deep deep bass that you probably never felt before, much better soundstage, but some lower-mid may be a bit recessed. Count the last hole at the end of the locking port mechanism, and line up the foam hole on top of it.

Video tutorial
[VIDEO]

Cups damping mods. To come next...but if you already have Lawton first stage, that will work as well.

[COLOR=FF00AA]Part II[/COLOR]

Updated cups dampening mod. It will further help to mainly control the trebles spikes, sibilant, and allow deeper sub-bass + slamming bass body
the cups dampening

Now! Your next problems (may be): trebles spikes , and sibilants ?

1/ open up the cups, by unscrewing these red screws, and leave the green screws alone

2/ remove these white baffles stuffing inside the cup chambers

3/ then to [COLOR=FF00AA]preserve[/COLOR] the bass "rumbles, the body slam" and the airy and linearity of the mid spectrum nuances details + control the trebles spikes. We will use this tape. They can be found at "first aid" section in any stores, Target, Walmart...etc

4/ You will then tape up the cups chambers with 3 layers worth like this, or you can do a better job :D. Now, if you hear "distortions", or you have the "patience" to do it, you dampen the drivers back like this picture (recommended, but not a necessity). Only tape on the Black plastic, and Never, Ever tape over the White paper felt!! Or Gaps

5/ Now, if after these above and you think that your headphones still has the harshness and spikes in the upper-mid and makes the vocal appear shouty ? You can put back the stock batting filter but in this specific position, make sure that you will leave out this "green hole" and that the batting block is inside the "red-square". Simply put, you turn the filter block around and let the green hole "breathe-free"

Doing this will smooth down the "lower-Trebles" and "upper-mid" even further while only effecting the soundstage only a bit....however sound leak-In will be further isolated and may create the illusion of constricted soundstage, but Width-Depth are still the same :D. this is it! The final step to Ultimately Dial tune into your own preferences on your beloved Fostex and is the Complete guide

Then put it back together and Enjoy! The final product! Banana the Papaya and silver cables are an exclusitivity

Finally, if you enjoy these mods, please report back and Rep up this button bellow this post.

Thank you

I stumbled upon this thread. I love my TH900mk2, and its sound signature. I was skeptical of the “foam discs placement mod,” but curious. I just tried it today and it absolutely works. I’d say that I probably gain about 8-10% more bass on position #3, which was a pleasant surprise. Great non-evasive and easily reversible mod! Thanks!

P.S. I’ve read that some of the TH900 anniversary editions are tuned differently. I wonder if this is what Fostex did for tweaking the sound signature…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back